What Traditions As Ex Pats Do You Bring To Your Host Country?

edwinclapham

I despise almost everything about the UK.

The blatant greed and materialism of it's holidays like Christmas, Easter, Mothers day, Fathers day.

And it's overly moralistic and judgmental capitalist society.

All people in the UK care about is themselves, how much their house is worth and how many holidays a year they can have.

Thatcher's Britain, the country of ME ME ME.

I've dumped the lot.

I don't disagree that Britain is a broken Country/society at all, and I certainly moved away because I feel worn down by Western society, but I can't go without protecting our Country somewhat.

'The blatant greed and materialism of it's holidays like Christmas, Easter, Mothers day, Fathers day.'

This is both true and not. There are plenty of people who HATE every holiday season, but the cynics make the holidays just as bad as those who 'buy into it'. Father's Day and Mother's Day for me are two days on the calendar that remind us to thank our parents for being our parents. Easter and Christmas are religious holidays deeply ingrained in our history, that have become more about spending money than anything else, but for many the traditions are still there. Christmas is my favourite time of the year, and not because I am in any way religious. I love the atmosphere, I love the cold, dark nights lit by the glow of the tree and decorations around the house. I love the music, I love the movies, I love being around people who also share my enjoyment of it. Sure, you might hate these holidays for real, but if you're just being cynical, you are part of the reason the holidays are no longer like they used to be.

'All people in the UK care about is themselves, how much their house is worth and how many holidays a year they can have.'

Won't argue with this. We live in a horrible society right now. I don't miss people's attitudes in England. I don't miss dreading going to work every day, and I don't miss seeing public arguments and nastiness every week (maybe I'm exaggerating a little).

But I do miss home. And I do miss my traditions. I miss it most around Christmas time, which is why I'm taking a two week holiday home for Christmas this year.

I agree that Britain is a completely broken country, and it's citizens blatant lust for materialism is disgraceful. Shame on you all!

Yet I am a proud holder of a British passportwhistling.gif . There remains much to be proud of in Britain!

And of course Thailand has no lust for materialism?thumbsup.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The English bring their ability to moan.....and the Scots bring their ability to annoy the English.

I'll get my coat

Don't let the door hit you're ass on the way out !

Edited by hedonist44

Reading for the sake of learning or enjoyment rather than reading to look smarter and more sophisticated.

"Oil Consultant"....what exactly do you do ?.....cure peoples acne or something ?

Currently, I relax, my friend. I don't need to work, have a long-term visa -- the works. Every-so-often, I will give talks at conferences.

How about you?

EDIT:

Being honest, though, your comment was funny as h3ll! Yes, I provide services to suffers of Acne P. Vulgaris!! Good one :)

Edited by xthAi76s

I bring the respect to avoid jumping prematurely to conclusions based on my own biases and assumptions.

That one is for you.

Lovely, now it would be nice to bring this topic back onto traditions please. Thank you!

Yes, not sure why I was attacked, but it don't matter.

Anyway, let's see. Maybe if I highlight those traits I have brought from my homecountry that are perceived as negative, then, perhaps, I will make moe friends.

I also bring with me my very American (USA) habit of attacking things very aggressively and frankly (which doesn't often work well in Thailand)!

Reading for the sake of learning or enjoyment rather than reading to look smarter and more sophisticated.

"Oil Consultant"....what exactly do you do ?.....cure peoples acne or something ?

Currently, I relax, my friend. I don't need to work, have a long-term visa -- the works. Every-so-often, I will give talks at conferences.

Just curious as to what you "Oil consult " on and please dont be obtuse...I really dont care what visa you have or whether you have to work or not

I bring the respect to avoid jumping prematurely to conclusions based on my own biases and assumptions.

That one is for you.

Lovely, now it would be nice to bring this topic back onto traditions please. Thank you!

Anyway, let's see. Maybe if I highlight those traits I have brought from my homecountry that are perceived as negative, then, perhaps, I will make moe friends.

I also bring with me my very American (USA) habit of attacking things very aggressively and frankly (which doesn't often work well in Thailand)!

Hmmmmmmmmm, yes, soon you are out of here, for sure. sick.gif

Just curious as to what you "Oil consult " on and please dont be obtuse...I really dont care what visa you have or whether you have to work or not

Yes, it was apparent from your very respectful message that you were just curious and not that your intention was to be belittling or perhaps even condescending.

I don't care to put ANY effort at all into answering your question, so there you go. We both don't give a frack, so carry on then.

That one is for you.

My father is from the USA and is the least aggressive person you would care to meet and to class your country folk as aggressive would be a total misconception.

Dad has passed down so many traditions and continues to do so in Thailand.

Come and share please!

Yes, it was apparent from your very respectful message that you were just curious and not that your intention was to be belittling or perhaps even condescending.

I don't care to put ANY effort at all into answering your question, so there you go. We both don't give a frack, so carry on then.

Why will you not answer the question....if you trying to make a veiled reference to "fracking" why dont you just day so ? I wasnt trying to be belittling or perhaps even condescending...I never brought visa's or whether you had to work or into the question...

Why so defensive

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

That one is for you.

My father is from the USA and is the least aggressive person you would care to meet and to class your country folk as aggressive would be a total misconception.

Dad has passed down so many traditions and continues to do so in Thailand.

Come and share please!

I bring the (typically regarded as) American tradition of dislike for absolute authority.

Of course many Americans are not agressive. In order to attribute a 'tradition' or 'habit' to a particular people (something being discussed here at length), one is most often forced to be a little imprecise. :)

Why will you not answer the question....if you trying to make a veiled reference to "fracking" why dont you just day so ?

Why would I feel compelled to answer you in a public forum? Let's see how long you hang onto this...

Why will you not answer the question....if you trying to make a veiled reference to "fracking" why dont you just day so ?

Why would I feel compelled to answer you in a public forum?

Why wouldnt you answer ?

Why wouldnt you answer ?

Polite notice, please can we move on ...biggrin.png or conduct via a PMwai.gif

Why wouldnt you answer ?

Have a good evening, if it is evening wherever you are.

Take care,

I had the great pleasure of attending a Thanksgiving Service and dinner at the invitation of the Southern Baptist congregation at Spangdhahlem Air Base in Germany.

It was a superb family day, the food was outstanding, ( with one exception ), and the hospitality will live with me forever. ( with one exception ).

The exception was that my wonderful hosts invited me to try a traditional dish. I knew something was amiss when the whole room halted and looked at me with an expectant smile.

Theblether considers himself to be a foodie adventurist. So I opened the dish and for the first time in my life I tried Chitlins. Vile, repulsive, disgusting and not very tasty as well!! The whole room erupted into laughter and I bravely chowed it down. Never again.

If I was ever invited to a Thanksgiving Dinner in Thailand it would be my delight and pleasure, however offer me Chitlins and I'm outta there!!

• Like 1

^^

I did try and discover this new culinary option ... but I'm still at a loss to what 'Chitlins' are?

Is it somehow similar to tripe?

The best photos I could find were ...

post-104736-0-72578200-1339448946_thumb. post-104736-0-21034900-1339448951_thumb. post-104736-0-05028300-1339448953_thumb.

Look familiar?

I don't eat offal sick.gif ... mind you, the deep friend ones with the dipping sauce look OK?

post-104736-0-83196300-1339449112_thumb.

Edited by David48

To the OP ... may I extend this to what Western Traditions the Thai's have bought into their lives.

[media=]

[/media]

BTS Siam

I stopped and listened to these guys maybe 20 mins ... brilliant

That year we had Christmas at the Unit we were renting and invited the Farm Family to join us.

This was us on Christmas Day.

The modest Christmas Tree is in the background, plus all the presents.

Total cost maybe $120 (including some nice things for the gf) ... each of the 4 kids got 3 or 4 small presents. Also presents for gf's two sisters, one each for the Farm Mother and Father plus one for the Farm.

The gf and sister #2 who attended the day also had some nice presents ... not a lot of money ... but it's the thought that counts.

For the Farm Father I got a aerial Google photo of his Fish Farm and presented it in a nice frame for him. The warm appreciative smile and handshake I got in return was priceless.

He sleeps in what could be described as a tin shack nestled between the ponds to deter the Fish thieves and I know that photo has pride and place where he sleeps. The actual Farm building is, by Thai standards, quite comfortable … but so others do like to try a bit of night-time fishing!

You can visit the Farm here.

Couldn't convince the Farm's Mother nor Father to attend ... as it was Market Day and they had Prawns/Shrimps to sell.

post-104736-0-87388700-1339452175_thumb.

Me teaching the kids to play 'Ker-Plunk' ... great because it was all visually based and language was not really needed. Nice bonding on a Family Day.

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

I had the great pleasure of attending a Thanksgiving Service and dinner at the invitation of the Southern Baptist congregation at Spangdhahlem Air Base in Germany.

It was a superb family day, the food was outstanding, ( with one exception ), and the hospitality will live with me forever. ( with one exception ).

The exception was that my wonderful hosts invited me to try a traditional dish. I knew something was amiss when the whole room halted and looked at me with an expectant smile.

Theblether considers himself to be a foodie adventurist. So I opened the dish and for the first time in my life I tried Chitlins. Vile, repulsive, disgusting and not very tasty as well!! The whole room erupted into laughter and I bravely chowed it down. Never again.

If I was ever invited to a Thanksgiving Dinner in Thailand it would be my delight and pleasure, however offer me Chitlins and I'm outta there!!

tripe has a bad smell which is not helped by deep frying...but in Turkey there is a traditonal milky tripe soup (iskembe corbasi) usually served at dinner time which is quite nice with fresh bread and I was with a brit associate from Newcastle at lunch time at site and he chowed down and then said: 'this is quite nice...what is it?'...and me between mouthfuls replied: 'tripe soup...' and then he suddenly became distressed and ran out of the room and then one of local associates, Ozcan (pronounced 'ocean') was puzzled...and I then I looked over and took the rest of his soup and bread...(burp)...Ozcan had his eye on it and I had to move fast...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

To the OP ... may I extend this to what Western Traditions the Thai's have bought into their lives.

[media=]

[/media]

BTS Siam

I stopped and listened to these guys maybe 20 mins ... brilliant

That year we had Christmas at the Unit we were renting and invited the Farm Family to join us.

This was us on Christmas Day.

The modest Christmas Tree is in the background, plus all the presents.

Total cost maybe $120 (including some nice things for the gf) ... each of the 4 kids got 3 or 4 small presents. Also presents for gf's two sisters, one each for the Farm Mother and Father plus one for the Farm.

The gf and sister #2 who attended the day also had some nice presents ... not a lot of money ... but it's the thought that counts.

For the Farm Father I got a aerial Google photo of his Fish Farm and presented it in a nice frame for him. The warm appreciative smile and handshake I got in return was priceless.

He sleeps in what could be described as a tin shack nestled between the ponds to deter the Fish thieves and I know that photo has pride and place where he sleeps. The actual Farm building is, by Thai standards, quite comfortable … but so others do like to try a bit of night-time fishing!

You can visit the Farm here.

Couldn't convince the Farm's Mother nor Father to attend ... as it was Market Day and they had Prawns/Shrimps to sell.

post-104736-0-87388700-1339452175_thumb.

Me teaching the kids to play 'Ker-Plunk' ... great because it was all visually based and language was not really needed. Nice bonding on a Family Day.

Excellent post David and thank you for contribution.