Few Qualms Over Corruption: Thai Poll

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Larger countries just hide their corruption better. Look at Ben Bernanke, chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve - he "lost" almost $600 million and has not been brought to task. I've been following this one closely, and it appears that it will be swept under the rug. And this is just one case of just about every U.S. politician, each of which should be hanging their head in shame.

You say "has not been brought to task". Do you mean sentenced to prison? If so, please point out what acts he committed that violated federal or state statutes. Please forward that information to the FBI and the New York Times also.

Keep in mind that in our justice system when a prosecutor brings a person into a court and charges them with committing a crime, they normally have to specify what acts they committed and what part, paragragh,or section of the law those acts violated. You cannot just say "bankster", click your heels three times and throw them in prison.

• Like 1

Doomed

AGREED, and herein lies the reason that when Burma does get its infrastructure sorted and starts accepting tourists in larger numbers Thailand is down the pan. Just been to Mae Sot for a visa run before returning to the UK next month and sat talking to a Burmese immigration officer for about 20 minutes spoke perfect English, was polite and helpful and was telling me how much the Burmese were clamouring to train airline pilots, immigration staff, hotel and tourism workers etc., hurry up and sort yourself out Thailand or the tourists will go to the nicer place next door, including all your latest arrivals ie.Indians, Russians, Chinese who are closer geographically to Burma(Myanmar). I figure you've got about 10 years of rip-offs and scams left and then its bye bye money pot.

Doomed

AGREED, and herein lies the reason that when Burma does get its infrastructure sorted and starts accepting tourists in larger numbers Thailand is down the pan. Just been to Mae Sot for a visa run before returning to the UK next month and sat talking to a Burmese immigration officer for about 20 minutes spoke perfect English, was polite and helpful and was telling me how much the Burmese were clamouring to train airline pilots, immigration staff, hotel and tourism workers etc., hurry up and sort yourself out Thailand or the tourists will go to the nicer place next door, including all your latest arrivals ie.Indians, Russians, Chinese who are closer geographically to Burma(Myanmar). I figure you've got about 10 years of rip-offs and scams left and then its bye bye money pot.

What will probably keep tourism afloat here (for awhile anyway) are the women. Thai women are such a good value in terms of ROI and price/performance.

And, IMO (not sure how other guys feel) are quite a bit prettier on average than Burmese women which tend to look more Indianized (like, say, the Cambodians). I prefer the Oriental look to the Indian look...

EDIT:

So, like most else here, again, Thailand is saved by Chinese blood.

Edited by xthAi76s

I find the overt corruption more refreshing and "honest" than the more covert and sophisticated corruption that exists in developed countries like the USA and Great Britain. When westerners point the finger at Thailand, I find it quite amusing. Either they are blind to the widespread corruption in their own political systems, or they are in complete denial. At least I have access in Thailand because I am just as able to slip an official a couple of thousand baht as much as the next guy. In the USA, I am not allowed access.

Thank you. I quite agree. Unfortunately, it doesn't make it helpful for most people in either country.

Corruption in western countries is slightly more discreet and works at higher levels - such as lobbying groups etc.

In Thailand it exists at all levels of society and is endemic. Try giving a UK or US policeman $50 after they have pulled you over for speeding, DUI or possession and see if you get the same response from the policeman as you would a policeman in Thailand. If you are confident that the western police officer would give the same response to your bribe as the Thai police officer, then I challenge you to go to the states or the UK commit a crime and see if your bribe is accepted by the attending officer(s) and you walk away from the crime without being arrested.

And I am fairly sure once the media get hold of any corruption allegations against a politician or policeman, for example, they would publicly name and shame and hound that person (rightly or wrongly) until they get to the truth, as it is deemed in the public's interest to not have corrupt government officials. In Thailand the most we see is the cryptic 'a politician whose name starts with Q has received money .....' in the newspaper and then the story disappears.

So whilst I agree that corruption exist in both societies there are subtle but significant differences in how it is handled and perceived by the two societies.

But then a guilty and convicted corrupt policeman/woman in the US or the UK would lose his/her job AND a very lucrative pension

and probably go to prison too.

• Like 1

Doomed

What will probably keep tourism afloat here (for awhile anyway) are the women. Thai women are such a good value in terms of ROI and price/performance.

And, IMO (not sure how other guys feel) are quite a bit prettier on average than Burmese women which tend to look more Indianized (like, say, the Cambodians). I prefer the Oriental look to the Indian look...

EDIT:

Is this an attempt at satire? You are joking right? If not, this has to be one of, if the saddest comments on TV.

Doomed

EDIT:

Is this an attempt at satire? You are joking right? If not, this has to be one of, if the saddest comments on TV.

Very minor embellishing, but, other than that, no, I'm being quite serious. Surely, you know this, right?

Just pathetic...monkey see, monkey do!....They see the corrupt driving around in the mercedes and bmw's and just want they're "piece of the pie" someday...why are we surprised by this. Wanna be Thaksins.....sickcoffee1.gif

Nice car ;)

Some generalisations to help explain my thoughts on corruption...(the world over):

Who generally goes into politics? Respected members of society.

Who are these people, generally? Successfully businessmen (or sisters... ;))

What drives these business people, generally? Making money, profit, the bottom line, at any cost.

So, why do they go into politics? To make LOTS of money for themselves, those around them, and to pay back those who helped them into politics.

Et voila... CORRUPTION. SAME SAME EVERYWHERE.

Just that in LOS it's done without the critical thinking so it's painfully visible and of course many are qualified only to incite violence, which is indeed a lucrative business in itself.

Thai people wait for the day that they benefit from corruption like they wait for a lottery win... It represents the pot of gold at the end o the rainbow... Money for nothing.

Some generalisations to help explain my thoughts on corruption...(the world over):

Who generally goes into politics? Respected members of society.

Who are these people, generally? Successfully businessmen (or sisters... wink.png)

What drives these business people, generally? Making money, profit, the bottom line, at any cost.

So, why do they go into politics? To make LOTS of money for themselves, those around them, and to pay back those who helped them into politics.

Et voila... CORRUPTION. SAME SAME EVERYWHERE.

Just that in LOS it's done without the critical thinking so it's painfully visible and of course many are qualified only to incite violence, which is indeed a lucrative business in itself.

Thai people wait for the day that they benefit from corruption like they wait for a lottery win... It represents the pot of gold at the end o the rainbow... Money for nothing.

Ah I get it, sort of like the Thai version of the American Dream. Does that make Thaksin the Great (Jay) Gatsby?