London-Bangkok Thai Airways

johnwuk

Hi all

Looking at flights to bkk next month and i haven't used thai air for about 6 years as the planes were always old 747's with no personal tv/entertainment etc so i switched to EVA which i find great. However the thai flight i'm looking at is a lot cheaper on my intended date can anyone here tell if the fleet has been updated on this route or is it still a lottery for what plane you get?.

Many thanks

John

Thanks binnsy, i already have a month eva flight booked early october for £539/26950 not open mind which i'm happy with. the july flight is a spur of the moment thing really and thanks to Nanlaew's post and a little research via thai airways and seat guru confirms the lhr-bkk route is a A340.

Thank you both for your time and input

John

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you NanLaew although the mention of the old 747's still makes me nervous!!

The oldest a/c I ever flew personally was a 1935 Tiger Moth, and many others over 30 years old; survived for three logbooks no probs. The age of the equipment is irrelevant in most cases but if you need whistles and flutes then you need to pay more, generally speaking, your choice.

The 744's are great planes. When i went with TG in Nov 11 the 744 LHR-BKK sector was newly fitted with IFE and coming back it was not. All the 744's are being "upgraded" though now, should actually all be done now i think. The one without was far better imo as the IFE boxes on both Thai's A34X's and 744's intrude heavily into the feet area on the seats in a lot of the positions. Check Seat guru to see which one's are not affected but beware it's not always right! My two trips this year were on the A34X's and i never like these as much as the 744's.