U.S. Fears Syrian Government Organizing Massacre In Haffah

News_Editor

U.S. fears Syrian government organizing massacre in Haffah < br />

2012-06-12 05:47:28 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- The United States expressed fears on Monday that the Syrian government may be organizing a massacre in an opposition stronghold in the country's west. Officials at the United Nations (UN) have demanded access to the town.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said it is alarmed by information it received through the UN that the Syrian regime may be planning a new massacre against civilians. "The regime may be organizing another massacre, this time in the village of Al-Haffah in Latakia province," she said.

UN military observers have been trying to access Al-Haffah but have been blocked by Syrian government forces, in violation with an earlier agreement. UN-Arab League Special Envoy Kofi Annan expressed concern about reports of the use of mortars, helicopters and tanks in Al-Haffah and demanded immediate access to the town.

"He is particularly worried about the recent shelling in Homs as well as reports of the use of mortar, helicopters and tanks in the town of Al-Haffah. There are indications that a large number of civilians are trapped in these towns," said Ahmad Fawzi, a spokesman for Annan. "[He] demands that entry of the UN military observers be allowed to the town of Al-Haffah immediately."

The U.S. warning came hours after Syrian state-run media claimed "armed terrorist groups" are preparing to carry out a massacre against civilians in Al-Haffah and the nearby village Tfil. State-run television played a recording it said was a telephone conversation between two "terrorists" planning the massacre.

"Slaughter the hostages and the prisoners in Tfil and film them on the internet as if there were a massacre which the regime has committed and add some fabrication to it," a person said in the audio recording. "Line them up, film them and take off their clothes and say 'a massacre happened' and send the images to the media because there is an international move after two days."

Also on Monday, state-run media reported that 'armed terrorist groups' had attacked public and private institutions in the Al-Haffah area, killing an unknown number of people. The reports, which could not be independently verified, claimed the town's hospital was among the buildings which were burnt down.

The Syrian opposition and the international community has accused troops loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad of carrying out two recent massacres, killing 108 people in the region of Houla, in Homs province, and 78 people in the village of Qubair in Hama province. The Syrian government rejected the claim, accusing the opposition which it refers to as terrorists.

The crisis in Syria began in March 2011 as a pro-democracy protest movement, similar to those across the Middle East and North Africa. The Syrian government violently cracked down on the protests, setting off an armed conflict between pro-Assad forces and anti-government forces. More than 10,000 people, mostly civilians, have died in the violence.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-12

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am against intervening in Syria as I was against intervening in Libya, but I think that there is a good chance that it will happen and it will be for humanitarian reasons. We are too broke to do it and no one will appreciate it, but it is hard to ignore what these savages are doing to their own people.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I am against intervening in Syria as I was against intervening in Libya, but I think that there is a good chance that it will happen and it will be for humanitarian reasons. We are too broke to do it and no one will appreciate it, but it is hard to ignore what these savages are doing to their own people.

Yeah UG your sentiments are quite understandable , the nagging thing in the back of my mind is will the alternative be necessary any better?.

Hmm, From ignoring ongoing carnage a few months ago to now fearing future not yet occurred massacres, how the worm has turned.

The general public in the West are being led by the nose by thoroughly dishonest reporting from the mainstream media regarding what is happening on the ground in Syria. Here is a rare example giving eyewitness accounts of a totally different scenario to the official version of events. This is a respectable publication i think, among its contributors is Charles Krauthammer, who i think has credibility with some on this forum. Likewise the German daily newspaper which is the source of this report is a respectable newspaper. This sort of thing is rarely reported by the Western media who are acting as propagandists and never deviate from the official government line. If the West is not very careful they will open a can of worms in Syria and leave the country controlled by various Islamic terrorists who have no love of us. Pretty much like Libya now. Be careful what you wish for!

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/302261/report-rebels-responsible-houla-massacre-john-rosenthal#

• Like 1

The general public in the West are being led by the nose by thoroughly dishonest reporting from the mainstream media regarding what is happening on the ground in Syria. Here is a rare example giving eyewitness accounts of a totally different scenario to the official version of events. This is a respectable publication i think, among its contributors is Charles Krauthammer, who i think has credibility with some on this forum. Likewise the German daily newspaper which is the source of this report is a respectable newspaper. This sort of thing is rarely reported by the Western media who are acting as propagandists and never deviate from the official government line. If the West is not very careful they will open a can of worms in Syria and leave the country controlled by various Islamic terrorists who have no love of us. Pretty much like Libya now. Be careful what you wish for!

http://www.nationalr...john-rosenthal#

clap2.gif at least someone on TV can see through the lies

Thank goodness for Russia and China

• Like 1

Yeah Midas, But please give us a little credit both OG, Dan and myself and maybe even Scott have very real reservations as to just what the Assad regime will be replaced with should it fall ,please read all the posts in the threadwink.png Edited by Colin Yai

Hmm, From ignoring ongoing carnage a few months ago to now fearing future not yet occurred massacres, how the worm has turned.

Good postsmile.png

They are real crusaders for human rights. rolleyes.gif

Hey OG ,In truth there is a lot more to this than meets the eye ,OK Russia and China are creeping forward ever so slow to human rights but it may come , however could this be said of Islam?

Yeah Midas, But please give us a little credit both OG, Dan and myself and maybe even Scott have very real reservations as to just what the Assad regime will be replaced with should it fall ,please read all the posts in the threadwink.png

Colin we had Saddam Hussein ( and Osama ) who began by being the friend of USA....

We had Gaddafi who entertained Blair in his tent.....

We had Hosni Mubarak who began by being the friend of USA and ended up being toppled......

Yes I would be far more concerned about those who would like to replace him ph34r.png

• Like 1

Reports in UK broadsheet newspapers today that William Hague has finally had to admit that Al Qaida insurgents are operating in Syria, and have been for many months. Drip by drip the truth is coming out. There have been reports for a long time of thousands of these insurgents entering Syria through Turkey,(a NATO member), fresh from fighting in Libya where of course they were our allies, NATO's troops on the ground. Interesting that these foreign terrorists in Syria are still referred to as 'Syrian rebels' by the Western media and government spokespersons! If i or anyone else was to take up foreign supplied arms against the British or American governments and their armed forces, i would be shot in the head immediately and i doubt if i would be called a rebel! Funny old world!

Nothing is going to happen until Russia and China gets off their collective ass' and decide that something has to be done. No matter how bad the US wants to stick their nose in yet another mess that is none of their business.

I do feel for the Syrians who are bearing the brunt of al_Assad's tyranny. Perhaps a bit of hemlock can mysteriously appear in his afternoon toddy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18327632

They are real crusaders for human rights. rolleyes.gif

no different to USA and NATO who target and murder

anyone they want rolleyes.gif

Midas I hardly think that the UN or the USA can compare with China under Mao or Russia under Stalin , there are quite a few cases of Human rights abuses worldwide both past and present that do not involve the former two ,of course a classic case right now is North Korea .smile.png Edit , just found this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18325949 yeah there's two sides to every story wink.png Edited by Colin Yai
  • Like 1

It would appear that the majority of those who were fighting to free Libya were not from Libya at all. They were paid mercs/terrorists who went in to get the job done. Some have decided to stay to get a slice of power and many have moved on to the next job, Syria. It frightens me to read the 'alternative' accounts being submitted by many journalists, in that the atrocities are being caused by the terrorists, not the Assad regime. The fall of Assad will annex lebanon and palestine, which will be easy pickings at a time and choosing of Israel. The complete disarray that still exists in Egypt's military and that will exist in Syria's military will render them next to useless in stopping the Lebanon and Palestine being next on the list. Iran will effectively be totally isolated. The knock-on of all this would be an Iran that is cornered like a wild dog, and would be very unpredictable. Iran has a strong military, lets hope they have no nukes. As for Syria, Assad will fall, just a matter of when.

• Like 1

It would appear that the majority of those who were fighting to free Libya were not from Libya at all. They were paid mercs/terrorists who went in to get the job done. Some have decided to stay to get a slice of power and many have moved on to the next job, Syria. It frightens me to read the 'alternative' accounts being submitted by many journalists, in that the atrocities are being caused by the terrorists, not the Assad regime. The fall of Assad will annex lebanon and palestine, which will be easy pickings at a time and choosing of Israel. The complete disarray that still exists in Egypt's military and that will exist in Syria's military will render them next to useless in stopping the Lebanon and Palestine being next on the list. Iran will effectively be totally isolated. The knock-on of all this would be an Iran that is cornered like a wild dog, and would be very unpredictable. Iran has a strong military, lets hope they have no nukes. As for Syria, Assad will fall, just a matter of when.

All in all Jim a nightmare scenario ,and I do not think any member would disagree!

They are real crusaders for human rights.

no different to USA and NATO who target and murder

anyone they want

Horse manure. There is no moral comparison other than silly attempts to spin it otherwise. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

http://www.telegraph...elicopters.html If this is true, its some what hypocritical of the Russians when they warn the west of "outside " interference" in Syria's affairs .

This could get a lot uglier before it gets better. Of course the Russians are just giving some 'customer care' to a valued client of it's arms industry. I am a little amused by the report in the link that implies that Mrs Clinton seems to have expressed surprise that the Syrians have dared to attack enemy rebel positions with attack helicopters. What does she think Assad would do,? roll over and say to the rebels 'ok i mustn't get too rough, you win'?

Edited by GentlemanJim

http://www.telegraph...elicopters.html If this is true, its some what hypocritical of the Russians when they warn the west of "outside " interference" in Syria's affairs .

This could get a lot uglier before it gets better. Of course the Russians are just giving some 'customer care' to a valued client of it's arms industry. I am a little amused by the report in the link that implies that Mrs Clinton seems to have expressed surprise that the Syrians have dared to attack enemy rebel positions with attack helicopters. What does she think Assad would do,? roll over and say to the rebels 'ok i mustn't get to rough, you win'?

I just wonder how this bloody mess will eventually "pan out" IMHO I cannot see the "rebels" winning ,Assad has too many powerful friends ,and the West appears to be wary of intervening Military wise on the rebels behalf ,could be they may have learned something eh , any one any thoughts on this?smile.png Edited by Colin Yai

It seems to me that the Russians want there to be an intervention. Why else would they supply arms and expertise to the Syrians? They know what is going on and they know the arab world wants them to stop. Perhaps the Russians are hoping western intervention will influence the situation in Egypt and the surrounding region. More westerners "attacking" arabs with the expected collateral damage plays right into the hands of various anti western groups in the region.

It's time the west listened to the arabs and those on the extreme left that demand the west stop interfering. This is an arab problem and it is up to the arab community to deal with it. How any arab can demand western intervention after loudly condemning similar activity in the past is beyond me. Yes, there are massacres going on in Syria and yes children are being used as shields, being abused and sexually molested as part of the campaign of intimidation. However, it is not the responsibility of Nato or the USA to intervene as this is an internal struggle with Iran and Russia helping to execute these atrocities. Let the world go and talk to the Russians and Iranians, and let the UN pass sanctions on the Russians. This is a UN responsibility and the UN should ask for countries like Brazil, Turkey, China and India to send peacekeepers. Let these people deal with IEDs and suicide bombers in Burqas going kaboom. The west has done enough and its time the kiddies in the region grew up and accepted the responsibilities that accompany nationhood.

An interesting point of view http://news.antiwar....tes-opposition/ Edited by Colin Yai

This could get a lot uglier before it gets better. Of course the Russians are just giving some 'customer care' to a valued client of it's arms industry. I am a little amused by the report in the link that implies that Mrs Clinton seems to have expressed surprise that the Syrians have dared to attack enemy rebel positions with attack helicopters. What does she think Assad would do,? roll over and say to the rebels 'ok i mustn't get to rough, you win'?

I just wonder how this bloody mess will eventually "pan out" IMHO I cannot see the "rebels" winning ,Assad has too many powerful friends ,and the West appears to be wary of intervening Military wise on the rebels behalf ,could be they may have learned something eh , any one any thoughts on this?smile.png

It is a tinderbox Colin.

I have just spent a week or so in a country in the ME, where an old pal of mine from flight school days is now a very senior officer in the Military. As an Arab he forecast the problems many years ago when we decided we were going back in to Iraq. He considered it the worst move ever as it was Iraq and in particular Saddam that provided a buffer to the shi'ite Muslim problem that was threatening from Iran. Although there were many Shias in Iraq, the small but far more powerful Sunni population suppressed the Shia's and a state of awkward and uneasy tension stayed in balance. My friend said many years ago that getting rid of Saddam would prove a mistake as it would open the lines of communication to Lebanon and Palestine and would ease the flow and supply of arms from Iran through Iraq and Syria into Israel's neighbours, as the majority of the population in Iraq was always Shia. There is actually an uneasy alliance between Saudi and Israel as both countries want rid of the Shia issue spreading from Iran, and both are lobbying the US to do battle on their behalf. Nothing would please the House of Saud and the Israeli's more than if the US launched a full on attack against Iran. Whilst that may not be an imminent possibility, it is drawing closer and Syria is a lynch pin in the whole process.

Why did so many of the Arab allies want to be involved in the coalition in Libya? Because it helped get rid of another Shia stronghold. In terms of governance of large countries, it is now being eroded to just syria and Iran. Although Iraq is now Shia, it would be able to put up little resistance to another military intervention by the west, albeit the existence of Iraq as a Shia nation is very troubling to Saudi. The Saudi's do not want any Shia run countries, hence their eagerness to send their own troops and quickly quell the Shia uprising in Bahrain. Although the Arabs talk about their brother Muslims, the divide between Shia and Sunni sees no love lost and in many senses they are bitter enemies. One of the main reasons that Israel has not been hit by an onslaught of terrorist attacks is because Hezbullah and Hamas canot get there Shi'ite' together (couldn't resist the pun), as they are too busy fighting each other, Hezbullah being Shia and Hamas Sunni. One hope that would help ensure that Islam does not eventually dominate the world is that Shia and Sunni will continue to fight each other until one or the other does not exist. The important issue for the west is to avoid taking any action that would unite them all so the veneer of thin ice that covers the situation in Syria will, i think, be left to run it's course, with unfortunately, the likely death of many many more innocent women and children.

As I leave to get another coffee, after my little diatribe I am left with one resounding thought...(profanity edited out) religion!

Edited by Scott
profanity edited out
  • Like 2