"Thai Only" Sign Seen At Mbk

upinthesky

This remind me when I first visited Japan in suburb area and I can see some restaurants and hotels with "Japanese only" "No foreigner" signs up at the entrance. Is the store owner kind of xenophobia or feel more comfortable dealing with local customers? Let's get the discrimination topic out of this thread.

I0lD9.png

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant see the problem with this, private shop owners are allowed to set their own right of admission rules, seen signs which say "No Thai's" and one that says "no Russians"

and both these signs are posted on TV...get over it

I imagine it's more to do with copies not getting spotted by foreign company employees than race.

There's also a lot of Japanese only signs around Thailand at a certain type of entertainment venues also no Thais only foreigners are allowed into another kind of entertainment venue.

A strange business sense. Why would any business want to exclude a group of customers that generally

has a higher disposible income than average. Shooting yourself in the foot if you ask me.

Mugs.

But if they feel like that, i'd happily spend my cash elsewhere.

Edited by LucidLucifer
  • Like 2

I imagine it's more to do with copies not getting spotted by foreign company employees than race.

My first reaction to this reason was, it could quite possibly be true.

Two seconds later the reality dawned on me, TiT, nobody gives two hoots, and nothing would be done about it anyway, and if the BiB did take an

interest, they pay some tea money and then business as usual.

This remind me when I first visited Japan in suburb area and I can see some restaurants and hotels with "Japanese only" "No foreigner" signs up at the entrance. Is the store owner kind of xenophobia or feel more comfortable dealing with local customers? Let's get the discrimination topic out of this thread.

I0lD9.png

No lets not hey, It's Thailand and it happens and as a note did you see the sign that said No Thai's I'll post it again on this thread/topic so there's no confusion and you'll see that Thai's even discriminate Thai people.

HTH.

1f68cab1-0bcd-e465.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by MB1

All it means is that the staff don't know any foreign languages. Nice of them to tell us (and saves them embarrassment).

Then they should put a sign saying "we only speak Thai"

How can you talk about this subject , with out talking about discrimination, where the intent of the singe is to exclude a set people.

What if I (farang) go there with my (Thai) wife?

Cant you read the sign ?....Are you Thai ?....if no then the sign explains it all....whistling.gif

Thanks for the answer! Yes I can read the sign. No I am not Thai. But still, my question stands.

The question doesnt stand...... Are you Thai ?...if no you cannot be a "Thai customer"...ergo they dont want you in the shop....not hard

Cant you read the sign ?....Are you Thai ?....if no then the sign explains it all....whistling.gif

Thanks for the answer! Yes I can read the sign. No I am not Thai. But still, my question stands.

The question doesnt stand...... Are you Thai ?...if no you cannot be a "Thai customer"...ergo they dont want you in the shop....not hard

You seem to overlook one detail in my first post in this topic. Read again, and then,.......... well, up to you!

Where do you think my missus stands then, she holds dual Thai/British nationality?....therefore she isn't only Thai.

Actually I don't have a major problem with it.

It's Private Enterprise, not a Government Office/Shop.

The shop keeper has freedom of expression.

This being Thailand, there will be an identical shop only a few metres away selling exactly the same thing.

I don't need to hold my Political Correctness sign outside their establishment.

Just spend my money down the road ... no problems.

• Like 1

This being Thailand, there will be an identical shop only a few metres away selling exactly the same thing.

You don't see a problem?

I can see many

How about if the sign said, " No Davids, allowed" and it became a prevalent occurrence , would you see a problem with it then.

You don't see a problem?

I can see many

How about if the sign said, " No Davids, allowed" and it became a prevalent occurrence , would you see a problem with it then.

Hi there sirineou, and for starters, congratulations on reaching 500 posts.

I understand what you are saying and indirectly you have come to the point that makes so many angry.

You have personalised it.

For me ... I don't personalise it ... he doesn't want me in his/her shop ... I really don't have a problem with that.

Same as a shop selling Chicken Feet ... I will never open that door ... it's my choice.

What I like about Thailand is that many times (within the Law etc) you are free to 'do' what you want.

Where in our Culture, you are free to 'say' what you want ... freedom of speech etc.

I respect your opinion ... it's just not mine.

EDIT:- Just saw what Thaddeus just wrote and agree with him ... most likely just written clumsily.

Edited by thaiphoon
Link removed,

There's also a lot of Japanese only signs around Thailand at a certain type of entertainment venues also no Thais only foreigners are allowed into another kind of entertainment venue.

The 'No Thais' sign is in English, it's to stop foreigners taking prostitutes back to their room.

I figure they thought 'No Thai prostitutes' was too rude.

I have heard it before. The no Thai sign is to prevent from farang bringing a prostitute into the room. Not a discrimination issue.

Well it seems once again the 'bend over and take it we are guests in this country blah blah' or the simply 'I can see no problem with it' (so why bother posting then?) brigade have been in the majority here. The excuse that 'Well, maybe the poor darlings can't speak English and we don't want to embarrass them' line is utter codswallop. Most Thais find it difficult to string a sentence in English (or would you prefer I refer to it as 'passa farang'), so that's that one out the window.

Has anyone bothered to ask this shop owner why he/she is not welcoming any other custom other than Thai?

• Like 1

You don't see a problem?

I can see many

Hi there sirineou, and for starters, congratulations on reaching 500 posts.

I understand what you are saying and indirectly you have come to the point that makes so many angry.

You have personalised it.

For me ... I don't personalise it ... he doesn't want me in his/her shop ... I really don't have a problem with that.

Same as a shop selling Chicken Feet ... I will never open that door ... it's my choice.

What I like about Thailand is that many times (within the Law etc) you are free to 'do' what you want.

Where in our Culture, you are free to 'say' what you want ... freedom of speech etc.

I respect your opinion ... it's just not mine.

EDIT:- Just saw what Thaddeus just wrote and agree with him ... most likely just written clumsily.

Thank you David, It sure took me a long time to reach 500,tongue.png

TV used to be a a much less tolerant place to exchange opinions, l

It is replies such as yours , that have induced me to come back and start posting again, so it is with your help that I reach 500.smile.png

If you would look at post # 15 , you will see that I made the same point as Thaddeus.

Then they should put a sign saying "we only speak Thai"

How can you talk about this subject , with out talking about discrimination, where the intent of the singe is to exclude a set people.

If the sign had being worded as such, I would have no problem with that,

Having grown up in the US, and more particular in the south, This sign leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I am all for personal choice,and freedom is one of the reason we are all in Thailand,but in a civil society there a limits to the extend of freedom

in my opinion this sign reduces personal choice rather than enhances it.

• Like 2

Well it seems once again the 'bend over and take it we are guests in this country blah blah' or the simply 'I can see no problem with it' (so why bother posting then?) brigade have been in the majority here. The excuse that 'Well, maybe the poor darlings can't speak English and we don't want to embarrass them' line is utter codswallop. Most Thais find it difficult to string a sentence in English (or would you prefer I refer to it as 'passa farang'), so that's that one out the window.

Has anyone bothered to ask this shop owner why he/she is not welcoming any other custom other than Thai?

Go and get your soapbox and placard and protest outside the shop that farangs are being discriminated against, the poor darlings, and while your at it go and ask the shop owner why and report back....thumbsup.gif

Maybe someone should have done that sooner in SouthAfrica too./