Shotgun Traps In Khao Kheow

wantan

I received a newsletter from the Bangkok Hash House Bikers today. I think the shotgun part of the newsletter written by BP is interesting for all mountain bikers in Thailand. Its an example that there are dangers in the woods one might do not expect. Big thanks to BP for this warning. So here it is:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shotgun trap (or the day I saved a pig)

All,

As warning to other hashers that recce (or run) in the Khao Kheow area (but also other areas) here some info on the shotgun trap that I managed to set-off last Saturday (without getting hurt). As it is meant to kill a pig, you might just lose a foot in the middle of nowhere. Feel free to further distribute. Copied also some bike hashers as in July there will be another ride in Khao Kheow and also the hares for November (near Rayong) were warned by the locals for pig traps. But the risk you get near a trap would be much less on a bike then on foot.

There have been warning of locals and hashers of shotgun traps being used to catch wild pigs in Khao Kheow, but so far no hasher said he’d seen one I think Tom told me. So it was a bit of a scary rumour that made you pay attention during recces when venturing off trail into the bush. Anyway, last Saturday I was actually not really watching out for traps (more obsessed with making that connection) and with a loud bang I got a confirmation the shotgun traps exist.

The trap was actually close to a clear trail. At the end of a farm field there was some forrested area, a vague trail was visible, but there was also some pink ribbon tied between two trees. Not understanding the meaning I continued and after 25 meters there was a clear trail again cut through high grass. Also that ended, and there was again some forest sloping downhill. As I wanted to confirm it was a dead end I went down as I was looking for a connection to another trail 100m ahead on my GPS. Again I saw a pink ribbon tied between two trees and went underneath. A few seconds later I hear a loud bang behind me and turning around I saw tripwire leading to a smoking homemade gun attached to a tree.

Some characteristics of this specific trap that might help to spot or better avoid getting near them (or keep a hash run away from them):

- They tied a pink plasting ribbon between two trees (from one side, so not around it).

- It was off trail but not that far off trail (less than 10 meters)

- To get on the trail that led near the trap was also set off with a similar pink ribbon strung between trees

- The shotgun trap was tied to a firm tree. Not well visible (grey, black and green colors) and between some vegetation.

- There was a thin tripwire several meters long about 15 cms about the ground, visible only if you would be looking out for it.

See also the pictures below:

Shotgut trap firmly attached to a tree, a thin tripwire visible.

post-129800-0-69620800-1339492951_thumb.

View from the front

post-129800-0-48939400-1339492950_thumb.

Pink string as a warning

post-129800-0-21581300-1339492954_thumb.

The map attached shows where in the Khao Kheow area.

As said I did not get hurt, it missed me by an inch. How was quite miraculous and I still don’t get it. I might have stepped over the tripwire with my right foot, and touched the wire with the tip of my left shoe is the best explanation I can come up with. I never felt touching the wire, only felt the bullet pass in the air…

We run another day!

On on, BP.