Not Allowed To Own Land

jackinbkk

Hi,

does anyone know if it is legal for a foreigner to buy land in Laos? I would love to buy a home is LOS but hate the idea that I can't own what i'm paying for. Relationships can always sour as many a farang has found out.

Would Laos even be safe? There's always the chance of having property siezed I guess. If it can happen in Spain it can certainly happen in Asia.

-Jack

I think you cannot own the land but you can own the building but out of the ordinery, not many guys try, most do it thru the GFs family, you can lease property and do improvements (build or add on) I know a couple guys who have remodeled lao houses (add bath and kitchen) in Vientiane there are a couple of new Moo Bahn type housing projects one down past Don Chan Palace, but aswer your question no its probably not as easy as thailand unless your married to a lao girl

• 2 weeks later...

I think you cannot own the land but you can own the building but out of the ordinery, not many guys try, most do it thru the GFs family, you can lease property and do improvements (build or add on) I know a couple guys who have remodeled lao houses (add bath and kitchen) in Vientiane there are a couple of new Moo Bahn type housing projects one down past Don Chan Palace, but aswer your question no its probably not as easy as thailand unless your married to a lao girl

You get no special benefits by being married to a Laotian. Although you are entitled to 50% of assets if divorced.

getting 50% when divorcing is better than you'll get in thailand I think, on the bright side getting a lao style house and adding a kitchen and bathroom electrical and AC, that house will double in price as there are so few around

• Like 1