What To Do With That Left Over Som Tam ?

onionluke

My pardner made some steamed chicken and a somtam last night . It was mostly left over and so served up again this evening, after a night in the fridge . I must admit it was not an appetising looking meal . I had a kind of hankering for something else , something to pit fire in my belly .

So I stepped into the mini kitchenette , that is our kitchen , reached in to the fridge , getting jammed between the door and the sink , and grabbed some pitta bread . I heated the pitta bread in a dry pan . I stepped back to the table . I sat back down to the meal and filled the pitta bread with the som tam and chicken meat . It was , you guessed it , yummy . I give all credit to my pardner for she is the chief in the kitchen .

Som Tam - garlic , chillis , pa la, tomatoes , green beans , papaya , fish sauce and fresh lime . Mashed up in the thingy .

Steamed Chicken - A whole fresh chicken chopped up still on the bone , chicken powder , salt , fine black pepper , fine white pepper . The chicken was seasoned and then steamed in a regular pot with a little water sitting on a plate on a steel frame . It was steamed for around 20 minutes .

I think it has to do with the subliminal messages KFC has been sending out .

take a couple of eggs well scrambled and add it to the somtam that has been gently heated in a wok...toss around a bit then serve with arabic bread or corn tortillas...supremo...buttered wheat toast can be substituted in a pinch...and don't fergit the tabasco!

the preparation fer the chicken I don't like...reminds me of the chicken in Vietnam where they smash up a whole chicken with a cleaver (bones included) and then throw it in a wok with hot oil and burn it to a crisp and then serve it up and expect you to eat it...ugh! and the chickens are scrawny assed to begin with...

in the market in Thailand they always have nice chicken breast and then I remove the skin and stir fry with onions, garlic and vegetables with a bit of Kikkoman soy sauce...also in saudi I'd broil a chicken breast in the microwave then chop it up and add to a salad dressed nicely with a tahina sauce...serve with fresh arabic bread and mmm, mmm good...would have that 2-3 times per week...comfort food...

just now I watched the wife prepare scrambled eggs thai style...scramble the eggs with a bit of MSG then into a wok with oil at the hottest possible temperature (she used 4 eggs to about 3 tbblspoons of oil) and then shake the pan a few times...splendid but she ate it with rice and nam prik...I woulda said salsa and fresh corn tortilllas but this is Thailand, after all...

I add it too minced beef and make my famous spicy somtam burgers.

excellent suggestion!...don't know about you guys but I don't like somtam on it's own...

I much prefer it wi the cold beer .

edit ; but burgers and scrambled eggs are in the making .

Edited by onionluke