Warranty Policy

Lenn2005

hi,

bought a year old D Max for the girlfriend from a dealer in Pak Chong last Wednesday. cost 440,000..paid 100,000 deposit. it's in her name with her brother-in-law as guarantor. had no idea what was going on in the transaction as it was all in Thai and girlfriend doesn't speak enough English to interpret properly. I trusted her brother-in-law to know what he was doing seeing he is the guarantor. anyway, got back to bangkok, took it to Isuzu and discovered it's a lemon. been in an accident and needs 40,000 worth of work on it. girlfriend rings the dealer and he says it too much and wants us to take it back to Pak chong so he can get it fixed himself. I don't like the idea because he's just going to do bodgy job. I would prefer to have an authorized Isuzu service centre work on it. Does anyone know anything about warranty policies here for second hand vehicles? cheers

Lenn, it doesn't sound like a lemon to me. Lemons are usually when vehicles are bought new and they consistently have problems with one or more components and spend far too much time in the workshop.

If the problem arose as a result of an accident then I doubt any warranty would cover it unless the accident was caused by a component failure while under warranty. As for warrantys being tranferrable to second owners perhaps you could try contacting the Isuzu dealer or head office. The HO should have someone with a good command of English and should be able to put you straight with warranty issues.

Lenn, it doesn't sound like a lemon to me. Lemons are usually when vehicles are bought new and they consistently have problems with one or more components and spend far too much time in the workshop.

If the problem arose as a result of an accident then I doubt any warranty would cover it unless the accident was caused by a component failure while under warranty. As for warrantys being tranferrable to second owners perhaps you could try contacting the Isuzu dealer or head office. The HO should have someone with a good command of English and should be able to put you straight with warranty issues.

Thanks Gazza.

Will give it a try but I don't feel very optimistic about getting compensated in any way from the crook that sold it to me. might have to consult a lawer about this, too. cheers

I'm not sure if there is much you can do in this case. Buying a used car anywhere is a risk but the pickups here are probably more heavily abused since many of them are used for hauling heavy stuff around. Did you have a mechanic put the truck up on a lift and inspect the undercarriage with a flashlight? You need to check A LOT of stuff plus test drive it at a variety of speeds before buying it. Many problems won't present themselves until the engine is warmed up and you've been driving for a while. Cars that have had front end collisions often have AC problems as well.