Atm Limits

I plan on using my ATM card to get local currency. I am wondering

1. which bank besides HBSC is a large Bank with many ATM's throughout Thailand

and

2. What the limit is that they will allow you to at one time

We normally try to take out the limit that are Bank will allow us when making a withdrawal as it works out more economically, however, I have had an experience where although my bank allowed $1000 daily limit US the foreign bank in which country I was traveling did not allow that much to be withdrawn at one time Not knowing this we kept putting into large a sum and kept getting denied :o until about after five times the card was blocked and we couldn't use it until I called home (ET) and asked my daughter to call the Bank and have them unblock our card

So if any of you have any knowledge as to what the limit or how large a sum you were able to get and what bank you used I would appreciate your comments

FYI: I have never seen an HSBC ATM in Thailand so do not believe you will be sticking with them.

The only ATM that I know can provide more than 20,000 baht is Bangkok Bank using there card which can provide up to 25,000 per transaction. Most will have a 20,000 baht limit per transaction (if stocked with 1,000 baht bills).

I haven't tried to withdraw more then 20,000B in a day at Bangkok Bank for 2 or three years because that was all I could get before. But I just looked at their website and it states this:

"With a Bualuang ATM card you can withdraw or transfer to other Bangkok Bank accounts or transfer money to third party accounts at any Thai bank up to 50,000 Bt per day, or transfer unlimited amounts between your Bangkok Bank accounts registered with the same ATM card, and pay for your utility, mobile phone and overseas telephone bills."

Has anyone tried ATM withdrawal from BB for more then 20,000B successfully (in a 24 hour period)?

I haven't tried to withdraw more then 20,000B in a day at Bangkok Bank for 2 or three years because that was all I could get before. But I just looked at their website and it states this:

"With a Bualuang ATM card you can withdraw or transfer to other Bangkok Bank accounts or transfer money to third party accounts at any Thai bank up to 50,000 Bt per day, or transfer unlimited amounts between your Bangkok Bank accounts registered with the same ATM card, and pay for your utility, mobile phone and overseas telephone bills."

Has anyone tried ATM withdrawal from BB for more then 20,000B successfully (in a 24 hour period)?

Yes. I regularly use normal atm card to take 50,000 baht in two transactions from BBL ATMs.

FYI: I have never seen an HSBC ATM in Thailand so do not believe you will be sticking with them.

The only ATM that I know can provide more than 20,000 baht is Bangkok Bank using there card which can provide up to 25,000 per transaction. Most will have a 20,000 baht limit per transaction (if stocked with 1,000 baht bills).

Also never seen HSBC ATM here - most ATM's should allow 20k per withdrawal with maybe a daily limit of 40k

Ass far as I know HSBC has no ATMs other than at its Rama 4 HQ but HSBC cards are accepted everywhere by other banks ATMs, so no reason why you shouldn't stick with them.Generally the service at HSBC is fine.They obviously have an international network beyond the scope of any Thai bank and my guess is they will deal with any foreigners problems better than any local bank.Downside is there is no online banking at HSBC other than a rudimentary account checking and credit card payment facility.

Along the Sukhumvit corridor, I have had no trouble getting 20K from any of the ATMs. However, when I am in Korat (say at The Mall), I am limited to 10K.

As I have mentioned once before in another post, if you attempt to withdraw more than is in your account, or that the ATM permits, you may still be charged a transaction fee by your bank.

Basically anyone can withdraw 50.000 Bt per day in 20,000 steps. If you have enough money in your Bangkok Bank account they will increase the daily withdrawal limit.

Also never seen HSBC ATM here - most ATM's should allow 20k per withdrawal with maybe a daily limit of 40k

they have an HSBC ATM on silom rd

and most I would like to know what their ATM daily limit for foreign cards is if anyone living in bangkok cares to check for me

Mahalo (Khawp khun kha)

traveling with aloha

Baht 50,000 in one day?

Thought I spent too much, but you all must be fun to hang out with. :o

How do you pay bills in Thailand, normally in cash, no credit in this country. How do you pay a bill for the extension of your house or a new aircon or some house renovation. Go to the bank, withdraw and pay the builder for the house extension in cash. No fun at all, thai system of paying any bills.

Basically anyone can withdraw 50.000 Bt per day in 20,000 steps. If you have enough money in your Bangkok Bank account they will increase the daily withdrawal limit.

We've just bought a home that we picked in December 04. 10% deposit, 80000 baht per month and final payment on completion. The good lady pulled 80000 from the Bangkok Bank ATM to make the payment. I think she took 4 x 20000 baht lumps.

My Bualuang ATM card allows me to withdraw up to 150,000 baht per 24 hours.

My limit has been increased over the years without my authority or the bank even informing me. :o

It is most definitely worth getting Internet Banking; you are able to do a variety of transactions such as 'tywais' has alluded to and more from the comfort of your armchair.

I have a Bank Account with HSBC UK, i have never had a problem using it at any ATM , my withdrawl limit is 500 pounds a day. I have put my card into an ATM machine and withdrew 20.000 baht, then put it straight back in again and taken out another 15.000 baht. As long as you do not try to exceed your daily withdrawl limit with your bank i do not see a problem.

Edited by geordie

I think the OP is more concerned with a Maximum Limit

for EACH withdrawal - not the Daily Limit.

The Daily Limit is imposed by the Card Issuer.

The Maximum for each Withdrawl is set by the ATM Owner

Bht 20,000 is the general Maximum for each withdrawal in Thailand.

Some Machines offer a Fast Cash button for Bht 20,000

In some cases the Maximum VALUE is determined by the

Maximum NUMBER of notes that can pass through the Cash Slot.

Particularly if the Machine has been loaded with Bht 500 notes

and programmed to give 5 x Bht100 notes as part of the payout.

My Accounts are with Abbey International.

They do not make a Charge for Cash Withdrawals

- but their Debit Cards have MINIMUM withdrawal Limits.

My Sterling Account has a Minimum Cash Withdrawal of GBP£ 50.

I found this to be inconvenient whilst on a Trip to the Philippines

where many of the Local Bank's ATMs have a Maximum Cash Withdrawal per transaction of P5,000 (or less) which at that time was below my Minimum. I had to search for a Foreign Bank ATM to get Cash.

Edited by WilliamIV

My limit has been increased over the years without my authority or the bank even informing me. :o

It is most definitely worth getting Internet Banking; you are able to do a variety of transactions such as 'tywais' has alluded to and more from the comfort of your armchair.

I was inquiring about using a foreign ATM card (such as my USAA ATM cd) not using a Thai Banking Çard which would probably allow you to withdraw more money expecially if using their ATM

thanks I think the questins has been answered quite thoroughly - and I guess I can alway use my debit card to charge against my checking account which would probably be less hassel.

I think the OP is more concerned with a Maximum Limit

for EACH withdrawal - not the Daily Limit.

The Daily Limit is imposed by the Card Issuer.

The Maximum for each Withdrawl is set by the ATM Owner

Bht 20,000 is the general Maximum for each withdrawal in Thailand.

- but their Debit Cards have MINIMUM withdrawal Limits.

My Sterling Account has a Minimum Cash Withdrawal of GBP£ 50.

I had to search for a Foreign Bank ATM to get Cash.

aloha thanks for setting the "language right" I am concerned with the maximum Limit for each withdrawal. I prefer not to have to use the card consecutively to get the amount that I want as I am charged on my end for each time I use a foreign ATM, however, at least the bank I am using is not charging a 1% currency conversion fee such as Citibank and some other do.

you brought up a good point about the debit card and I am going to check to see if I have a limit for that.

so much to remember

we'll be traveling for three months

I was inquiring about using a foreign ATM card (such as my USAA ATM cd) not using a Thai Banking Çard which would probably allow you to withdraw more money expecially if using their ATM

thanks I think the questins has been answered quite thoroughly - and I guess I can alway use my debit card to charge against my checking account which would probably be less hassel.

I have USAA too and you'll be fine all over the place. There are lots of big Thai banks and I don't recall any ATM's that weren't on Cirrus(?). ATM's I've used are Bangkok Bank, Thai Military Bank, Thai Farmers, and maybe others. I've also used those purple and yellow ones by 7-11's, although maybe those are one or two of the names I remember.

You may want to call USAA before you leave and let them know you'll be using it overeas. I had trouble the first time (Hong Kong, not Thailand) and I'm not sure if it was because I was taking money out of my savings account or it was international. The CS rep told me that both could have been the reason, so they noted I was traveling and no further issues. Supposedly you can't take out of savings, only checking, but I haven't tried since.

I've never tried to take out more than 12,000 Baht, but I've done it the same calendar day in the US so I think a higher amount will go through. I've always gotten about 99% of the currency exchange rate with no bank fees so I don't think it'll be any more economical to take out larger amounts. Sometimes you catch a better rate and sometimes it slips. Don't use it as a charge card since I think MasterCard will take another percent.