Good Low Season Beach For Swimming?

nkg

I'm sure most regulars here know that the waves get a bit rough during low season on many Phuket beaches.

I don't spend much time swimming/sunbathing, but the GF loves it.

Any recommendations for somewhere to splash around in fairly placid waters? Due to the distance involved, I would particularly like beaches between Kata and Bang Tao, but Phuket's not that big, and I'll happily travel anywhere on the island for a day trip.

Thank you.

The very southern end of BTB and the very southern end of Nai yang Beach are very shallow, so are quite safe in Low season IMO. If you swim quite close to where fisherman park their longtails , that's often where the waves are smallest. (Away from any sewage flow obviously sick.gif )

Ao Yon (near the end of Cape Panwa) is sheltered, safe, and very scenic. Check the tide tables though as you'll need the time around high tide to be able to swim. Couple of decent bar restaurants right next to the beach also for food and drinks

There is always the small lagoon on southeast end of Nia Harn, Perfectly placid waters there and still on the beach.

Already one drowning there this year & another close call.

the lagoon at nai harn is now flowing into the sea ... the waves & tide have ripped the sand apart. that lagoon is dangerous. stay out of it during this time of the year.

• Like 1

Laem Kha, Ya Nui are fairly safe but wise to check with the locals first.

Laem Kha is a "private" beach now. bah.gif

Laem Kha is not private. The road to it is blocked, and there is a security guard, but just tell him you want to go to the beach and he will let you through. I was there a few days ago, and there is nothing private about that beach at all.

Ya Nui is not safe this time of the year, either ...

Last time I was at Ya Nui was December and it was very tricky to stand up in the surf that day. I've never been there in low season but it's not one that I would guess would be safe, especially for a Thai female to just splash about in.

'amyb' seems to know her stuff about beaches, I would follow her advice if I was the OP.

Ya Nui is not safe this time of the year, either ...

Last time I was at Ya Nui was December and it was very tricky to stand up in the surf that day. I've never been there in low season but it's not one that I would guess would be safe, especially for a Thai female to just splash about in.

'amyb' seems to know her stuff about beaches, I would follow her advice if I was the OP.

Ya Nui often has a frightening undertow in the low season, and it's easy to get pulled out. You add on a few big waves and the rocky sea bed there, and it's a recipe for disaster. My advice to you, OP, is to find a swimming pool for you and your lady to splash about in during low season.

Thanks, HongKongPhooey, I try to stay informed. I love the beach and often go during low season, just not out for a swim. It baffles my mind how people can look at the surf on some days and think they are safe to swim.

Agree that the only way to be completely safe is to use a swimming pool and go to the beach without going in.

The reason I suggested the southern ends of BTB and Nai Yang, weren't based on experience of low season to be perfectly honest, I'm normally off the island for the worst of low season, but because they are the two areas I take a four year old to swim during the rest of the year. As you can see in the photos (BTB) they are very shallow and two of the only places he can run around in the water without me needing to be holding on to him or within arms length.

My logic was if it's that safe for a four year old for most of the year I'm pretty sure it will still be safe for an adult at this time of the year. If your misses is adamant that she needs a swim then that would be my best suggestion of where to go. Park on the road outside the Blue Siam beach club and walk down the path to the beach.

post-146531-0-22884900-1339754066_thumb.

post-146531-0-48623600-1339754099_thumb.

It's a shame that the Nai Harn lagoon isn't safe any more. My other half is actually a very strong swimmer, which isn't exactly normal among the Thai people that I know. However, if the waves are too big we head elsewhere - mai sanook, and furthermore, ba.

Sure I have access to a pool, but it's not the same as floating around in the tropical seas surrounded by Phuket's lush greenery. I'll head south in the near future and check out Leam Kha and Ao Yon. I've visited Kamala beach recently, seems like one of the safer beaches on the West coast provided the weather is good.