Thai Films Thread/Movies You Like And Recommend

submaniac

Well, been spending time as of late watching Thai movies. My mom had surgery so I have been watching Thai films with her to keep her preoccupied. Alot of the stuff is so so, but there have been alot of movies that I have been impressed with. Like I think they are probably better than some of the schlock coming out of Hollywood.

So I thought let's start a thread about Thai movies. In particular I wanted to know what films people like so we can share our knowledge about what films to look for in particular. Let's face it. You have Thai relatives. They want to see Thai language films. You might as well know about what films in particular are good so you can enjoy them rather than be stuck watching crap.

Forgive me if I am mentioning films that are obviously successful and famous in Thailand, but for those of us not in LOS, we have not kept up with Thai films.

I will start the ball rolling with the following films that I really enjoyed:

(1) Love of Siam: Romantic drama. It involves a gay romance, however I don't consider it a "gay movie" so much as a good movie whose characters happen to be gay. Very touching.

250px-Loveofsiam.jpg

(2) Cheun (Slice): Murder/mystery/thriller--guy is released from prison to help police track down serial killer slashing Hi So Thais with a razorblade and stuffing bodies in a red suitcase. A bit gory, but has a good plot twist at the end.

slice-poster01.jpg

(3) Secret Sunday (9 Wats)--horror movie, but not a stupid blood and guts horror. Actually very intelligent and a psychological horror story. Guy's mother has a bad dream about son dying. The guy's girlfriend takes him to go to 9 temples in one day. Get to learn about Karma and rebirth. Nice plot twist at the end that I did not see coming.

250px-Secret_Sunday-p2.jpg

(4) Who are You? Thai horror film about a woman whose son has stayed in his room, never leaving for 5 years. The mystery is what happened to him. Nice plot twist at the end.

250px-Who_are_You%3F_%282010-Thai_Movie%29-02.jpg

(5) Me...Myself (ขอให้รักจงเจริญ): romantic/comedy, but it is more than that. It is also a very touching story. Girl hits guy with car. Guy gets amnesia. They start a relationship...revelations happen when he starts remembering. Stars Ananda Everingham. I can see why people like him.

220px-Me_Myself_movie_poster.jpg

OK. Add the films you like so I can watch them.

Edited by submaniac

There was a very funny film, to me at least, a few years ago called Mekhong Full Moon Party, about the Naga Fireballs. Soundtrack was Isaan with Thai and English subtitles. It was very popular here, and overseas I believe. It would be especially enjoyed by any expat who has lived in an Isaan village for any length of time.

Suriyothai was a hugely successful epic and very popular with expats at the time (the original not the Coppola re-cut). I have enjoyed several of their gangster films, also perhaps someone could come up with some of Mom Jok Mok's films - he has made some with humour that would appeal to expats. And of course there is Ong Bak - an international hit.

Good luck with this thread; despite the usual negative comments about Thai films and actors, I do believe that they also make some damned good ones. Wish I could supply more titles of recent films but my memory has let me down.

Mom Jock Mok has featured in many funny films

There was a very funny film, to me at least, a few years ago called Mekhong Full Moon Party, about the Naga Fireballs. Soundtrack was Isaan with Thai and English subtitles. It was very popular here, and overseas I believe. It would be especially enjoyed by any expat who has lived in an Isaan village for any length of time.

Suriyothai was a hugely successful epic and very popular with expats at the time (the original not the Coppola re-cut). I have enjoyed several of their gangster films, also perhaps someone could come up with some of Mom Jok Mok's films - he has made some with humour that would appeal to expats. And of course there is Ong Bak - an international hit.

Good luck with this thread; despite the usual negative comments about Thai films and actors, I do believe that they also make some damned good ones. Wish I could supply more titles of recent films but my memory has let me down.

Mom Jock Mok has featured in many funny films

Sorry, can I add a PS: I also thought Love of Siam was a good film, and I suppose rather daring considering the censorship thugs in Thailand.

9 Wats was one of the better films I saw at all in.... 2010? It's been around awhile. Good pick. One of those movies that literally seeped in for a few days after viewing, and I usually don't care for stuff with a religious bent to it, but will make an exception here.

I like the Ong Back films.

Don't remember the name, but there was that film about a Thai girl that loved all things Korean, and went there for a holiday. That was OK.

As an aside, why is it that Farangs make such awful movies set in Thailand, eg Bangkok Dangerous with Nicholas Cage- a pile of suppurating dog poo, and the recent The Hangover Part 2- surely the laziest piece of film making ever, and an absolute piece of excrescence?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Hello Yasothorn (1995)

Shutter ii (2004)

Ploy (2007)

Tears of the Black Tiger (2000)

The Iron Ladies (2000)

Beautiful Boxer(2004)

6ixtynin9 (1999)

Last Life in the Universe (2003)

I like the Ong Back films.

Don't remember the name, but there was that film about a Thai girl that loved all things Korean, and went there for a holiday. That was OK.

As an aside, why is it that Farangs make such awful movies set in Thailand, eg Bangkok Dangerous with Nicholas Cage- a pile of suppurating dog poo, and the recent The Hangover Part 2- surely the laziest piece of film making ever, and an absolute piece of excrescence?

It's called "Hello Stranger" its a good movie, we enjoyed it too.

Another corny but good older movie was เรื่องตลก 69, "Ruang Talok 69". I really liked that one.

We watched a few horror and ghost stories lately and Colic wasn't bad

We liked "Bittersweet" too.

Really good one is "Yes or No" which tells about the Tom Dee culture in universities. I am also reading a book about these gender sub cultures which is very interesting.

Edited by AussieTrent

Hello Yasothorn (1995)

Shutter ii (2004)

Ploy (2007)

The Iron Ladies (2000)

Beautiful Boxer(2004)

6ixtynin9 (1999)

Good picks. Watched Tears of the Black Tiger and really liked it. The visual style was amazing.

Beautiful boxer watched today--very good film

Downloaded last life in the universe but have not yet watched it. It seems like it is a realy great film. Thanks for the suggestions. (I am trying to find links to the other ones you mentioned).

Hello Yasothorn (1995)

Shutter ii (2004)

Ploy (2007)

The Iron Ladies (2000)

Beautiful Boxer(2004)

6ixtynin9 (1999)

Good picks. Watched Tears of the Black Tiger and really liked it. The visual style was amazing.

Beautiful boxer watched today--very good film

Downloaded last life in the universe but have not yet watched it. It seems like it is a realy great film. Thanks for the suggestions. (I am trying to find links to the other ones you mentioned).

Glad you liked them.

PS I got the date of Hello Yasotorn wrong. It should have been 2005.