Border Crossing Into Cambodia Near Trat

Deaw

Hey all, I have a ride to Trat on monday afternoon, with plans on going to Sihanoukville on tuesday.

Question; does anyone know what time the border crossing closes? I won't be able to get there until about 6 or 7pm.......my plan was to cross over and then stay in Koh Kong and move to Snooky in the morning from there.

Conversely, if that border crossing closes early, are there decent hotels I can stay at on the Thai side for a night?

Would prefer not to stay in Trat if at all possible, but stay at the border or inside Cambo.

sorry if this is on the wrong forum, it's not a visa run, just a mini vacation!

Thank you

That border used to be (3 years ago) open 0700 - 1700. You can stay at Had Lek, 16 km on the Thai side of the border- at least two hotels (150B+) I have stayed in there, just take songtaw from Trat, but they might be few/far between after, say, 1800.

First thing in the morning, walk 200m from hotel to market, plenty of songtaws going to border. Be prepared for big hassle at border unless you already have a visa - Cambos will ask for 1500B. Various mini/bus services run most of the day to Snooky via KKong, beware people selling tickets actually do sell you valid ticket. AA

Thanks a lot for that......I have googled some various terms and it seems like that border crossing is a major hassle! I also hate touts and it seems that once you cross over they are everywhere and don't take NO for an answer grrrrrrrrrr

almost may be better off to take a plane from BKK to PP and take a bus down......

I crossed that border a couple of months ago, I think it closes at 8pm but I didn't test that option and stayed in Trat.

Pay for the visa with dollars (think it was $20) as it tends to work out a lot cheaper than the baht price for some reason, and take a passport photo - it was a hassle-free crossing.

You're better off crossing in the morning in the normal way rather than being the only bloke going over really late and then sorting out getting to Koh Kong. Not cross there for ages but used to be a small river you'd need to get a small boat across in, not sure if that's road now though but still need some form of transporation and they have you over a barrel if you turn up later than most folk.

Hat Lek as someone else said. I stayed there before and then I think there's a night market that people got Songthaews from in the morning to the border, hotels were short walk from there and it was a well trodden path so easy to get info for it.

When I crossed before they try to 'ol 'need vacines' scam to get you to part with $5 or so. You can keep walking but sometimes they're more insistent so may hit you up for that. Some people actually have had vacines and had their little booklet thing so that caught them out :D It's like $5, no vacines ... here's $5 ... ok, you can go through now ... you still don't have the vacines, mind ;)

Next time, get an evisa...no scams then!!

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

E-visa not available through Trat. Limited crossing points accept e-visa.

Wouldn't that be Koh Kong? If so, it's listed on the website as supporting it. ??????

Yeah I saw this on the website as well and was confused. I too am interested to hear anyone's experience crossing there with an E-Visa.

great tips, guys......I have heard many nightmares about crossing there, but as long as I am expecting [and willing] to pay a small bribe it should be OK.

too late for an e-visa.....I am going to stay in Had Lek for a night, go to the border in the morning, and pay my 20US plus be prepared with an extra 300B.

then get a moto taxi to the bus stop in Koh Kong.....from what I understand there is a big bus at noon to Snooky, I much prefer that to a minivan.

sound about right? Thanks all!

A big boat from Koh Kong up to Snooky, not sure if there's a bus these days but it always used to be a big boat. You could make it across passport control, bike to the river (which may not be requred now) and just about make it for the boat but in reality the boat waits for people IIRC. There was a couple of guesthouses in Koh Kong but first thing in the morning coming from Koh Kong is the best bet

A big boat from Koh Kong up to Snooky, not sure if there's a bus these days but it always used to be a big boat. You could make it across passport control, bike to the river (which may not be requred now) and just about make it for the boat but in reality the boat waits for people IIRC. There was a couple of guesthouses in Koh Kong but first thing in the morning coming from Koh Kong is the best bet

The bus is very good and daily. The boat used to only run in the dry and high season unless that has changed but I thought that it had been suspended?

Check the excellent Candy Publications guides online for info http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/overland.htm#Hadlek

http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/koh-kong-cambodia-home.htm

Yes, Canby are ace. Always used to pick up their booklets, no need for a guidebook at all really these days.

I don't remember a bus at all when I used to do it but we're talking more than 10 years back now, sure it was boat was only option