Short Circuit

necronx99

Ok, the boy took it upon himself to wash my bike (kudos to him even though it wasn't really dirty).

Now the bike runs well, really well in fact as it wont turn off either by the on/off switch nor the key.

Pulling up to the shops and stalling it is not a good look.

Do I need to pull it to bits to find what I assume is a waterlogged connection or can I let evaporation do my work for me?

Nip down to any small garage and ask them to give the electronics a good blow out with their compressor. I'd do it ASAP as the water might be sitting somewhere that could take a long time to dry up or make a mess of the contaminated area.

haha, leaves are falling man.

thanks for your post and why you act that harsh, i do not understand. Just asked which bike you own to give you better suggestions. But, prejudice is the plague of our era. Judge someone and curse someone. it is no brainer, right?

if no compressor, just let it wait under the sun - i am serious - if still not working just check the fuse.

still not working! be a good chap and naff the f*&^ off and drag your bike to the nearest electronics shop. It does not need to be a bike shop specifically, a car electronics place can do it as well.

if still not working, just sit down, order a beer and think about your decision to buy that bike over some beers. Once you are drunk, it does not matter which bike you own anyway, right?

Edited by loserlazer

As suggested get your wiring loom & wiring loom connectors unplugged and dryed out. If you wish to prevent further problems with water ingress, then get a hold of a tube of silicon grease (the non-conductive type). A lot of high end bicycle should sell it. Use a multimeter to check to make sure the grease is not conductive. Now that you have done that and if you want to do the job probably, you will need to do this. Dip every mating connector on your wiring loom/s in the silicon grease (excess is not a problem). You can completely fill the receptacles as I said. Just wipe off the excess once you plug thembavk in. The grease will not stop metal to metal contact by the inherent design of the connectors. Of course once your loom is plugged back together, carry out a functional check of all circuits. In general silicon grease is very durable in resisting a viscosity stop from heat. Meaning the grease the won't run out of the connectors near the engine. Up to you.

My 2 cents :)

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

As suggested get your wiring loom & wiring loom connectors unplugged and dryed out. If you wish to prevent further problems with water ingress, then get a hold of a tube of silicon grease (the non-conductive type). A lot of high end bicycle should sell it. Use a multimeter to check to make sure the grease is not conductive. Now that you have done that and if you want to do the job probably, you will need to do this. Dip every mating connector on your wiring loom/s in the silicon grease (excess is not a problem). You can completely fill the receptacles as I said. Just wipe off the excess once you plug thembavk in. The grease will not stop metal to metal contact by the inherent design of the connectors. Of course once your loom is plugged back together, carry out a functional check of all circuits. In general silicon grease is very durable in resisting a viscosity stop from heat. Meaning the grease the won't run out of the connectors near the engine. Up to you.

My 2 cents smile.png

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

That's probably a good idea in any event.

Get a big can of WD40 or similar, and then thoroughly spray out the engine kill switch on the handlebar, the ignition switch and all related connections you can get to. The WD40 is a water displacer and corrosion remover that is safe for electrical connections. But it is oily, so I'd then use an electrical contact cleaner at all the same locations, but protect the paint from this last product and wash the painted & chromed bits afterward.

Ah memories... years back, my boy, aged three or so, badly wanted to help me wash my Ducati 996, and those dual, under-tail Termignoni pipes were just too perfect a place to fit the water hose for him to resist! Hastily started er up and blew out any moisture into the ether, then sighed a big relief.

Edited by bbradsby

Do NOT spray your wiring with WD40, although it helps in the short term, in the long term it ruins the wiring.

I'd be interested to know how it destroys the wiring as one of my bikes is over 20 years old now and the wiring gets sprayed regulary and has never once given a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Do NOT spray your wiring with WD40, although it helps in the short term, in the long term it ruins the wiring.

I'd be interested to know how it destroys the wiring as one of my bikes is over 20 years old now and the wiring gets sprayed regulary and has never once given a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

WD40 can damage plastics (insulation). When I was a DR back in the day, I had an XTZ which used to get problems with water in the electrics. I used WD40 to keep it going during Edinburgh winters, but the plastic insulation got really hard and brittle and the wiring shorts happened more regularly the more I sprayed. I took it to a mechanic friend and he told me it was WD40 that was causing the problems even though it was fixing them in the short term. Much better to use non-conductive silicone to seal your connectors properly instead of bodging it with the quick fix.