Rawai Restaurant Update

Lannatyne

Lots of previous threads on eateries in Rawai / Nai Harn, but maybe an update is due?

Been to Hen Chef on Viset Road a couple of times recently. Chicken Green Curry, salads, and lasagna have all been excellent. Only issue is the number of mozzies flying around the place.

Conversely, our favourite amongst all the Rawai beach seafront restaurants has been Salaloy. For years, we've found it consistently good. However, this seems to have taken a disappointing turn for the worse of late. "The chef has moved on" as Mrs lannatyne says.

Any other downturns / upturns around?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say , that having read about this place on a few posts some time ago ("Salaloy"), when we ate there a couple of months ago (tourist season), it was more than disappointing. Maybe for tourists fed 'Thai' seafood in the resorts, Salaloy could be quite a revelation and have a local 'feel'.

The food was quite cold when we got it, and the quality of the fish and seafood certainly wasn't what we expected. Staff had to be asked to clear the table and prepare it for us even though it was obvious we were looking to sit and eat (smoking and texting friends much more enjoyable obviously).

The irony is that the pricing is the same for what are much better outlets (I remember making a comparison on this forum between Salaloy and Kan Eang@pier some time ago).

Both branches of Hen Chef offer good value and great food. I prefer the Saiyaun location, as they are a bit quicker than the Viset Road one. Restaurants I will continuously recommend in the Nai Harn/Rawai area include:

Modena Pizza - place looks nicer now that he has remodeled, and he has GREAT pizza at a good price.

A Spoonful of Sugar - great coffee and tasty, unique handmade cakes plus free WiFi.

Lion Muay Thai Muslim Restaurant - I'm not sure if that is the name, but the little restaurant in front of Lion Muay Thai only open in the mornings that sells good, cheap kanom jin and roti mataba.

Sala Mexicali - Although it's not "real" Mexican food, some of their dishes are close. The ingredients are fresh, and they don't use MSG. I have eaten at this place over the last 4 years, and never had a bad meal.

Tiffany's - on Viset Road has a really good breakfast buffet for great value. The food is tasty and the staff friendly.

As far as beach front restaurants go, if you leave the main Rawai beach road and veer left (before turning left to head to Promthep Cape) to where those little sala restaurants are on the sand, my boyfriend and I have discovered that the first restaurant and the last restaurant, which is white, are the best of all of those ... cheap prices, fresh food, great fish and clean to boot. Better than the expensive strip of restaurants on the beach road with the terrible staff.

<snip>

Tiffany's - on Viset Road has a really good breakfast buffet for great value. The food is tasty and the staff friendly.

Searched for this place on a number of occasions. Directions/location please.

Almost directly opposite Vijit Resort, maybe 25 meters down the hill.

Edited by stevenl

Think it's the one just short of Vijit Resort as you head in Chalong direction. It's on the opposite side of road.

Other places worthy of mention:

Kallots on Soi Sai Yuan have good farang and Thai food.

Ma Klong on Rawai Beach has good Thai food and fast service.

Nikita's on Rawai Beach does a great green curry and tasty burgers.

Moo's in Rawai village on Wiset Road does great value Thai, but the wait can be too long.

Rum Jungle if you want really tasty farang meal, but not cheap.

M&M pizza my favourite Italian.

Pity there aren't more new places appearing :(

One final one if you like coffee - Hock Hoe Lee coffee near Friendship Beach on Wiset Road has great coffee.

Think it's the one just short of Vijit Resort as you head in Chalong direction. It's on the opposite side of road.

Moo's in Rawai village on Wiset Road does great value Thai, but the wait can be too long.

Pity there aren't more new places appearing sad.png

One final one if you like coffee - Hock Hoe Lee coffee near Friendship Beach on Wiset Road has great coffee.

I forgot about Hock Hoe Lee! Really great coffee! Also, the "Fruits of Trang" bakery is worth it for buying nice brown bread, sandwich ham, etc. They have a really yummy apple crumble there, too! It's at the stoplight of Saiyaun and Viset Rd behind the bus shelter.

Pity there aren't more new places appearing sad.png

I thought Nikitas burgers were just about the worst I have ever had!!!!

nong pims , wassana bbq , delish cafe , baan aroy , ellis , kombat cafe , the little isaan place next to the german bakery , som tum lanna ..........

Would be nice to know where and what kind of food. You know how many German bakeries there are? So what little Isaan place you mean? Ellis I know is Italian and used to be way of the beaten track are they still there ? And do they still serve the brrrrrr Lasagna with the same smile (not)?

nong pims , wassana bbq , delish cafe , baan aroy , ellis , kombat cafe , the little isaan place next to the german bakery , som tum lanna ..........

Would be nice to know where and what kind of food. You know how many German bakeries there are? So what little Isaan place you mean? Ellis I know is Italian and used to be way of the beaten track are they still there ? And do they still serve the brrrrrr Lasagna with the same smile (not)?

thai at nong pims and wassana , baan aroy and som tum lanna , i only know one german bakery on sai yuan Rawai its opposite the crepe place and right next door is the little isaan place .....ellis yes open and good food crap service but who cares ...whats brrrrrrrrrr lasagna

nong pims on rawai beach about 300m past salaloy , wassana on the soi opposite nikitas about 500m oh rhs only at nights , delish at fishermans way good gourmet farang and coffee , baan aroy also on soi opposite nikitas on the left about 200m , kombat on sai yuan on the corner of samakea 4

that little isaan place next to the german bakery is phenomenal. they've got the BEST food. i like somtum lanna as well - the sauce they use for their grilled/bbq chicken is really unique & tasty. DELISH is also fantastic. their entire menu is really nice, and they've got better carrot cake than my grandmother's!

i'd also like to recommend Lao Inter Thai Restaurant on soi saiyuan, pretty much directly across from where don's mall used to be. lek makes the best thai food, she'll cater to what you like (no MSG, etc) and she is cheap. this place is my favorite thai stand-by.

Anyone tried that Vietnamese Restaurant on Viset Road yet? It's just before the Sai Yuan lights, if travelling south.

I am 100% sure it's the same Vietnamese restaurant that used to be in the Fisherman's Way mini mall complex. I ate there in that location once. The food was alright, but it was a bit expensive. Still, when I get a chance, I'll give the new location on Viset Road a go.

Anyone tried that Vietnamese Restaurant on Viset Road yet? It's just before the Sai Yuan lights, if travelling south.

I am 100% sure it's the same Vietnamese restaurant that used to be in the Fisherman's Way mini mall complex. I ate there in that location once. The food was alright, but it was a bit expensive. Still, when I get a chance, I'll give the new location on Viset Road a go.

Called Saigon, very tasty but indeed expensive.

Had a burger today at Kombat Cafe(thanks for the tip) was very good....

After much discussion with the waitress explaining what i wanted...TIT

i ordered a plain welldone cheeseburger on brown bread....

ended up getting a beetroot,onion,lettuce,tomato burger (no cheese) on brown bread...

was good I'll be back

If one of you own one of the good italian restaurant down south, please start offering some delivery to chalong/ptown for 50-80baht extra. I dont really like italian style pizza but its still much better than that crap at pizza company.

also wondering about the Raw food restaurant in rawai, what kind of prices and is it good? I wouldnt drive so far if its really expensive as i have never tried raw food.

If one of you own one of the good italian restaurant down south, please start offering some delivery to chalong/ptown for 50-80baht extra. I dont really like italian style pizza but its still much better than that crap at pizza company.

also wondering about the Raw food restaurant in rawai, what kind of prices and is it good? I wouldnt drive so far if its really expensive as i have never tried raw food.

The raw food restaurant near to the beach - Living Food Cafe - is very good, but it is EXTREMELY expensive. That being said, it's amazing what dishes they come up with that are completely raw. On Sai Yuan Road, where the old Nai Harn Gym used to be (English gym, not Muay Thai Specific), the place has now become something like "Nai Harn Raw and Natural Fitness"... I'd have to double check the name. They offer raw food cooking classes, which I am keen to try once I get some spare time from work. Maybe you do a internet search first to see if the food offerings are something you'd like to try before making the long drive?

I dont really like italian style pizza,,,,,,,,w00t.gif

what style do you like???

chinese??? clap2.gif

I dont really like italian style pizza,,,,,,,,w00t.gif

what style do you like???

chinese??? clap2.gif

american style soft crust pizza or anything kind of pizza without a cement truck's load of salt in the crust

Edited by Hostile17

Drove out to this Tiffany's today at 13.00. closed. Drove back to Chalong Chaofa East to Baan Kanom Bakery (not far past Chalong Gym/Fatties) for an excellent lunch. Extensive menu, good efficient service, value for money. Although the seating area is quite compact and basic.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove out to this Tiffany's today at 13.00. closed. Drove back to Chalong Chaofa East to Baan Kanom Bakery (not far past Chalong Gym/Fatties) for an excellent lunch. Extensive menu, good efficient service, value for money. Although the seating area is quite compact and basic.

This is weird...I did the exact same thing today. What are the odds of that?

I had never been to either one before. The only thing I will add to Baan Kanom Bakery is they have Farang Restaurant size portions. (i.e. small). Great smoothies. Good prices.

Tiffany's said opening July 1.

A bit away from Rawaii .....but before I left Phuket for work, I noticed a new Italian joint being built just up from Villa, looks like their is a heap of money being poured into it...not your typical Bamboo shack. Is it opened yet? Has anyone tried it?

A bit away from Rawaii .....but before I left Phuket for work, I noticed a new Italian joint being built just up from Villa, looks like their is a heap of money being poured into it...not your typical Bamboo shack. Is it opened yet? Has anyone tried it?

really good food, a bit expensive just!

really good food, a bit expensive just!

I wonder how it compares to Da Sandro in terms of quality & pricing.