Advice For Some Good Food Around On Nut

Marcel1

Hello,

I want to share a place I found the other day where they serve great food!

No its not beergarden ;-) also I am not related to those people I just want to help people getting some decent food.

It's located in sukhumvit soi 89. After about 100m lefthand side. It was or still is a guesthouse called: on nut guesthouse.

What surprised me was the big menu with an international kitchen. Now my expectations of international food is not very high since its mostly crap. This place however serves the thai and international food super fresh and delicious!! Nowdays I go here 4 times a week and I loved every dish there, my thai and international friends also did. Also its redecilous cheap! Only thing is that you sometimes have to wait quite long for your food but its all worth it.

So if youre looking for some nice change of food I can recommend this one. If you been please share youre experience

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Is that the Jungle Cafe? I downloaded their menu and was surprised by the assortment of dishes they had. The menu is a huge 50 page PDF file! They had some interesting items, everything from cup noodles, pizza, and somtam, to "prime whale meat" in the Japanese section.

I'm American, and my wife is Japanese, so one of our hobbies is going to restaurants in Bangkok and trying the "American" food (AKA Mexican food) and Japanese food. We then usually have a good time laughing about how bad it is.

I tried to find this place a couple months ago. I walked up soi 89, but I didn't see it or the Onnut Guesthouse, so I thought it was closed. I guess I'll try again soon.

Thanks for sharing Marcel, I will check it out at somepoint.

I quite like the idea of sharing dining suggestions, can be quite tricky to find good places to eat this end of town when you want a change from Thai food.

I live in Phra Kanong and have a few recommendations for this area and On Nut;

Soi 69 : Nice 'authentic' Japanese place selling Okinawan food, great noodles and other Japanese food. Always full of Japanese customers which must be a good sign.

Just before Soi 69 (Between BTS station and Family Mart on corner of Soi 69) : Newly opened Cara deli shop/restaurant selling cold cuts, sandwiches, pies & sausages (Western style), lasagna etc. Cafe style eat-in menu or takeaway.

Soi 71, (Soi 42 area)- Very nice coffee shop and restaurant called Sometimes. Huge selection of teas/coffees and reasonable menu including some Western Food. Very comortable and spacious, feels like you are relaxing at home. Free wi-fi and parking in the Ital Thai building in which it is situated.

Soi 79 (On Nut) : TBH haven't been there (!) but was popping to the fishing tackle shop on 77/1 and was suprised to see a wood-fired pizza place and also tapas restaurant 50 yds up on the left hand side. I will check it out soon....

Soi 79 Cafe Di Maria is fantastic! We visit at least once a week. I was a loyal Scuzzi Pizza follower until we found this place. Their pastas are amazing as is the Beef Carpaccio. They also do pretty nice house wine! However their Italian Sausage and Mash is absolutely to die for!

Thanks for the Japanese recommendation. Nice to have somewhere closer than visiting Thong Lor.

Domenico's Pizza at On Nut Soi 31/1 or so is incredible.

The newly renamed Billabong is worth a miss. The change in ownership has caused service and food to go downhill very quickly. (On Nut - Soi 14)

Locus @ 24 - Western owned, but he can't be bothered to put a small selection of western food on the menu. Overpriced for what you get.

Beer Garden - There are a few stands there serving quality western food. I am partial to the Wiener Schnitzel with fried potatoes. The even put bacon into the fried potatoes! Excellent!

On Nut Guesthouse does have an exceptionally long menu. For whatever reason, I get a local discount of 10% when I go there. They said it was because I speak Thai and drive a motorbike and am accompanied by my Thai gf.

Since nobody has mentioned it, I'll recommend Humble's on Sukhumvit Soi 75/1 (next to Baan Saran Nuch apartment). You can get to it from Soi 75/1 (the Soi before Onnut) or by cutting through the market across from Big C. It's a great place to relax in a garden patio setting. The menu has both Thai and Western food. Great atmosphere (if you don't mind listening to the same bunch of drunken Int'l school/English teachers complaining about everything every night after work.) I just wish they still had large bottles of beer! ( You listening, Mike? wai.gif )

As others have mentioned:

Domenico Pizza between Onnut 31/2 and 33 does a decent pizza at reasonable prices.

We really like the Okinawan restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 69 called "Kinjo". Try the Okinawan rice whiskey 'awamori'. The Okinawan soba is great, and the noodles are handmade. Also, try the 'taco rice', the Japanese version of Mexican food! I just wish this place was still open for lunch time.

I've heard good things about Cafe de Maria on Suk Soi 79, but haven't tried it yet. Wish it opened for lunch as well.

Eat Good around Onnut Soi 14 or 16 was a great cheap place with great food, but I haven't tried it since it changed to Billabong. As Smileplur mentioned, from what I've heard it seems to have gone downhill. I used to love their chili.

As mentioned, Locus on the corner of Onnut Soi 24 is a bit overpriced for its limited selection of food and drink. A Western-owned place, the owner is nice enough, but it's focused on only Thai customers as the menu and music reflect. Well, this IS Thailand after all, so I can't complain. But the menu is limited and pricey, and aside from beer, your only drink choices are Thai whiskey or... Thai whiskey and soda.

I'll also mention there's a nice outdoor pub/bar/restaurant with live music called Melon Mint between Onnut 37 and 39. They actually had decent live music and not the tired normal song list that you get in most Thai places. For example, when I was there they had some ska band with a horn section, and occasionally a Western singer. A bit pricey but the food and atmosphere are nice.

For cheap Thai food on Onnut, I'll recommend the following places. All of these are open from I think 5:00 pm, and the menus are in Thai. Sorry, I don't know the names or exact addresses off hand:

There's a good 'moo grata' (Thai style all-you-can-eat barbecue buffet) place around Onnut 25~29.This place is always packed.

There is a really good, cheap, and dam_n spicy Isan place on the corner around Onnut 32~38 or thereabouts in a nice garden setting with Thai-style thatched roofs over the tables. Look for the Christmas lights in the trees.

On the corner of either Onnut Soi 31 or 33/1, there is a Thai place set up outside in the evening. It's a typical cheap Thai place with metal tables and plastic chairs, but the food is good and cheap, and it's popular.

Apparently, as someone mentioned there is a place on Sukhumvit Soi 58. I've also heard (on another thread here I think) that there was a British pub on Sukhumvit Soi 50 (the street next to Lotus Onnut). Anyone know anything more about these, or other restaurants in the area?

I'll try the Onnut Guest House sometime this or next week. Keep up the suggestions everyone!

Edited by Kimagure

Since nobody has mentioned it, I'll recommend Humble's on Sukhumvit Soi 75/1 (next to Baan Saran Nuch apartment). You can get to it from Soi 75/1 (the Soi before Onnut) or by cutting through the market across from Big C. It's a great place to relax in a garden patio setting. The menu has both Thai and Western food. Great atmosphere (if you don't mind listening to the same bunch of drunken Int'l school/English teachers complaining about everything every night after work.) I just wish they still had large bottles of beer! ( You listening, Mike? wai.gif )

Domenico Pizza between Onnut 31/2 and 33 does a decent pizza at reasonable prices.

We really like the Okinawan restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 69 called "Kinjo". Try the Okinawan rice whiskey 'awamori'. The Okinawan soba is great, and the noodles are handmade. Also, try the 'taco rice', the Japanese version of Mexican food! I just wish this place was still open for lunch time.

I've heard good things about Cafe de Maria on Suk Soi 79, but haven't tried it yet. Wish it opened for lunch as well.

Eat Good around Onnut Soi 14 or 16 was a great cheap place with great food, but I haven't tried it since it changed to Billabong. As Smileplur mentioned, from what I've heard it seems to have gone downhill. I used to love their chili.

As mentioned, Locus on the corner of Onnut Soi 24 is a bit overpriced for its limited selection of food and drink. A Western-owned place, the owner is nice enough, but it's focused on only Thai customers as the menu and music reflect. Well, this IS Thailand after all, so I can't complain. But the menu is limited and pricey, and aside from beer, your only drink choices are Thai whiskey or... Thai whiskey and soda.

I'll also mention there's a nice outdoor pub/bar/restaurant with live music called Melon Mint between Onnut 37 and 39. They actually had decent live music and not the tired normal song list that you get in most Thai places. For example, when I was there they had some ska band with a horn section, and occasionally a Western singer. A bit pricey but the food and atmosphere are nice.

For cheap Thai food on Onnut, I'll recommend the following places. All of these are open from I think 5:00 pm, and the menus are in Thai. Sorry, I don't know the names or exact addresses off hand:

There's a good 'moo grata' (Thai style all-you-can-eat barbecue buffet) place around Onnut 25~29.This place is always packed.

There is a really good, cheap, and dam_n spicy Isan place on the corner around Onnut 32~38 or thereabouts in a nice garden setting with Thai-style thatched roofs over the tables. Look for the Christmas lights in the trees.

On the corner of either Onnut Soi 31 or 33/1, there is a Thai place set up outside in the evening. It's a typical cheap Thai place with metal tables and plastic chairs, but the food is good and cheap, and it's popular.

Apparently, as someone mentioned there is a place on Sukhumvit Soi 58. I've also heard (on another thread here I think) that there was a British pub on Sukhumvit Soi 50 (the street next to Lotus Onnut). Anyone know anything more about these, or other restaurants in the area?

I'll try the Onnut Guest House sometime this or next week. Keep up the suggestions everyone!

"There is a really good, cheap, and dam_n spicy Isan place on the corner around Onnut 32~38 or thereabouts in a nice garden setting with Thai-style thatched roofs over the tables. Look for the Christmas lights in the trees"

I thought that was a seafood place, thats all I have ever eaten there, they also have the indoor aircon room.

"that there was a British pub on Sukhumvit Soi 50"

That will be The Toby Jug, its owned by a Thai guy that speaks excellent English.

• 1 month later...

Humble's has closed.

• 4 weeks later...

"There is a really good, cheap, and dam_n spicy Isan place on the corner around Onnut 32~38 or thereabouts in a nice garden setting with Thai-style thatched roofs over the tables. Look for the Christmas lights in the trees"

I thought that was a seafood place, thats all I have ever eaten there, they also have the indoor aircon room.

No different place. The seafood place is between 30-32, the issan place he talks about is Soi 34; well it was, got ripped down this week.

You should try the Ostrich next time your at the Seafood resutrant, amazing.

As mentioned before Domenico Italian resturant is fantastic. Great food and good prices. Also do really great Thai food and they deliver too. On Nut Soi 31/2

Here is thier numbers 0274421584 / 0897765400 / 0876877221

Edited by Millian

You're right, Millian. The Isan place I mentioned was on the corner of Soi 34, but as you said it has been torn down. They're building something there now, so I hope they're just making a new restaurant.

Hmm.. With that Isan restaurant and Humble's place closing, and Eat Good changing hands, the number of good restaurants around here has decreased..

Oh, thanks to Marcel1 for starting this topic! We tried the guest house restaurant you mentioned in your OP, and it's good and really cheap. We've been there a few times, and enjoyed it. Yes, you're right, the service is really slow, but the staff is friendly, the prices are cheap, and the servings are huge, so we often end up ordering too much.

Their Thai food is great and the ingredients really fresh. The Western food is usually pretty good (except for the pizza), but sometimes we get something unexpected. They gave us an older menu in Japanese for my Japanese wife, and there were more dishes on it than on the new menu. I ordered a bean burrito, and was surprised when much later they brought me a HUGE bowl of baked beans. The Japanese food sometimes isn't very Japanese style, but is still really good. So, thank you Marcel1 for helping us find this place.

Anyone know of any other restaurants in that area, especially any places within walking distance from the Sukhumvit BTS extension from Onnut to Bearing? I wandered around at each station when the fare was free, but I didn't find anything..

Humble's has closed.

That's a shame, I always meant to try that place but never got round to it. Is it definitely closed permanently or just being refurbished?

Melon Mint as mentioned is good. I often go for boat noodles next to the seafood place around soi 30 or so, the place has a big wooden boat in the front.

Cafe Maria seems to be losing its touch a bit - it was much better a year or so ago.

Going a bit further from on nut, there's a good international / fusion restaurant behind Paradise Park called My Corner. Good selection of Belgian beers there too. Not far from there on Udom Suk soi 60 is a branch of Somboon Seafood restaurant, very good as are the other branches around town.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by dantilley

You're right, Millian. The Isan place I mentioned was on the corner of Soi 34, but as you said it has been torn down. They're building something there now, so I hope they're just making a new restaurant.

According to the builders working there it's supposed to become a Shabu Shabu restaurant/coffee shop.

Sophon

• 3 months later...

The Japanese restaurant is now open, haven't been yet. The italian I mentioned before has now moved to thong lor, which is a shame. A few weeks ago near soi 17 i noticed a sign announcing a french/american restaurant would be opening in December, however the sign is gone and no sign of any restaurant has appeared?

Has any one been to the Tapas & Italian place in the soi just before On Nut Bts?

• 4 weeks later...

Keeping our aging but hopefully useful thread alive here.. wink.png

While walking through the market across from Big C Onnut, I noticed that the place that used to be Humble's restaurant is now "Cabana Garden". It's a pizzeria / Italian restaurant apparently. Has anyone tried it?

And has anyone found any other good places along Sukhumvit from Onnut to Bearing?

While walking through the market across from Big C Onnut, I noticed that the place that used to be Humble's restaurant is now "Cabana Garden". It's a pizzeria / Italian restaurant apparently. Has anyone tried it?

And has anyone found any other good places along Sukhumvit from Onnut to Bearing?

I ate at Cabana on Tuesday as it happens. We had the bruschetta to start then me and the wife shared a lasagne al forno and the children had an omelette with prawns. We had 2 lime sodas, an orange juice and a fanta. Total bill = 710 baht.

The lasagne was nice and half a portion was enough but it wasnt quite hot enough although cooked well with good quality ingredients. The omellette (Thai style) was good and not too oily.

The Bruschetta was small, only two pieces but generously topped with tomatoes. There was also some complimentary bread and oil.

Didnt try the pizza, although they have built a massive pizza oven so should be good. Owner is French, believe he worked at the Marriott or somewhere so should have reasonably high standards. He was there and was very pleasant and attentive. Definitely a step up from Humbles. Not sure how much business they will get in that location but a decent set up and worth going to if you want something of reasonable quality in that area without sitting on the street or a concrete room.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been to Cafe di Maria about a dozen times. It's a pretty remarkable place considering the location. Their gnocchi is extraordinary and their pizza is really tasty authentic wood fired thin crust. I've been there when the place is full and when strangely empty. Not sure why this place hasn't really taken off. Maybe because they are not listed on trip advisor or written up bangkok post?

Now if only there were a decent bar around Onnut sad.png and no Onnut market doesn't constitute!

Anecdote: After picking up a pie, i saw a Pizza Company motorbike whiz past headed to the apartments next to Cafe di Maria. Why anyone would order that crap when Cafe di maria is steps away is beyond me!

I ate at Cabana on Tuesday as it happens. We had the bruschetta to start then me and the wife shared a lasagne al forno and the children had an omelette with prawns. We had 2 lime sodas, an orange juice and a fanta. Total bill = 710 baht.

The lasagne was nice and half a portion was enough but it wasnt quite hot enough although cooked well with good quality ingredients. The omellette (Thai style) was good and not too oily.

The Bruschetta was small, only two pieces but generously topped with tomatoes. There was also some complimentary bread and oil.

Didnt try the pizza, although they have built a massive pizza oven so should be good. Owner is French, believe he worked at the Marriott or somewhere so should have reasonably high standards. He was there and was very pleasant and attentive. Definitely a step up from Humbles. Not sure how much business they will get in that location but a decent set up and worth going to if you want something of reasonable quality in that area without sitting on the street or a concrete room.

Thanks for your report, Kananga. Sorry for the late reply, but we finally got a chance to go check the place out just recently.

We had antipasto, quattro stagioni pizza, and salad. The food was really good and the portions seemed generous. The bill came to almost 2000 baht, but that included a LOT of wine. tongue.png The French owner and staff are quite friendly and helpful. We thought that the pizza was probably the best we've had in Bangkok. We will definitely be going back there to try some of the other dishes.

Edited by Kimagure

• 7 months later...

Hello, great topic. For me :

- Cafe Di Maria (soi 79) : Great pizza, good other items. Owners are nice but often understaffed and if the place is full you can wait a while for your food (may be a reason it does not take off, not going there so often for that reason personnally). Favorite : Pizza Carbonara

- Cabana Garden (soi 75/1) : great pizza, highly recommended, pasta OK too. A bit hot to eat on the terrace so mostly take away (they deliver as well). Fav : Pizza Cabana (Gorgonzola and Italian Sausage)

- Look in (soi 58) : Great Italian food, small portions (80% of customers are Thai Hi-So, lot of them from government agencies), not cheap but great quality. Thai food OK but not great (according to my Thai colleagues) and pricey (according to everybody). Owners use to work in Westin as chefs for western food and they clearly know what they are doing. Great service and setup as well (very rare around this area). Fav : Seafood Spaghetti, and MUST try their creme Brulee for Dessert !

-Oh la la Cafe (soi 50, down The Link condo) : Sandwiches, western and Thai food. Decent sandwiches with good bread, good coffee and desserts (they buy from Lenotre or do homemade specials). Fav : Baguette French Kiss Sandwich

In terms of Thai food, will add some options :

- Little Cafe (corner of soi 79 and Suk), great Thai dishes reasonnable prices

- Prik Hom (between Soi 83 and 85, in the Amway Complex). Extensive menu including Fish etc... good setup for a big group.

- Best Beef Barbecue (right on Suk between soi 50 and prakanong Canal). Very good value for money, I think it's 200 THB (or 250 not sure) all you can eat for beef, pork and other food (including french fries etc..). Meat comes almost frozen, quality not the best but pretty OK, if you're hungry, you can eat your money worth.

As said before, only missing a British/Irish Pub with Pool Tables and Big Screens !

• Like 1