What Is Your Favorite Bkk Park?

cathy211

I like Suan Luang (Rama IX) park on Sri Nakarin Road. They have different areas with their own themes, like a Chinese garden, a jungle, and an orchid garden, and there are jogging trails, basketball and tennis courts, etc. It's huge and there is a lot to see there.

When I went to Lumpini, it just seemed like a large expanse of grass. But of course, Lumpinin is much easier to get to if you don't live near Suan Luang.

Lumpini is nice ...

King Rama IX Royal Park is great ...

Kimagure ... you posted while I was putting this together!

On word of mouth recommendation we visited there for a few hours one late afternoon.

Lot's of people ... never felt crowded.

You can walk there from the main road, but the 10 Baht Sontel is easier.

Save your legs for this magnificient Oasis dedicated to the current King.

Central to the 200 Acre park is a huge lake whos focus is a nine sided pavallion dedicated to the current King of Thailand his Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej and many of his wonderful projects.

post-104736-0-67896900-1339889842_thumb. . post-104736-0-94521100-1339889874_thumb.

Commericial Shot

post-104736-0-50725500-1339890121_thumb.

post-104736-0-64308300-1339890036_thumb. post-104736-0-85497400-1339890038_thumb.

Sun Setting ...

King Rama IX Royal Park, Bangkok was inaugurated in 1987 to commemorate the 60 th birthday of King Rama IX. The park, spreading over a 200 acre land is the oasis of serenity and peace bosomed by the trees, shrubs and flowers. King Rama IX Royal Park, Bangkok is counted as one of the most extensive botanical gardens in town that provides the visitors with a long walking trail and incorporates buildings that showcase the life and works of King Rama IX.

From

More information and Map

Any tips on how to get to Suan Luang (Rama IX) park on Sri Nakarin Road easily (and quickly) by public transport from Silom and Sukhumvit?

You would need to go by bus or taxi.

Check out Suan Rot Fai park near Chatuchak Park/Market. It is huge. And actually has about three parks connected. Flowers, birds, water, bike rental, quiet ...

Any tips on how to get to Suan Luang (Rama IX) park on Sri Nakarin Road easily (and quickly) by public transport from Silom and Sukhumvit?

You can take the BTS to Phra Khanong, go out by Exit #3. When you get to the street, walk in the direction of traffic to the bus stop by the "up" escalator. Wait for the #133 bus which winds it's way (about 30 minutes) to Sri Nakarin Rd and Secon Square mall. Take a taxi or moto taxi from there.

There might well be faster bus routes, this is just the one I know.

I believe the "Hua Mark" stop on the new Airport Rail Link is quite close.

My only complaint with Suan Luang is the ubiquitous piped in pop music along some of the garden trails; is there no place in Thailand exempt from this aural pollution???

Edited by dddave

Heading to Bangkok in a few months with my family for week and was wondering if anyone can suggest more sights and things to do. My daughter is only 3. We were looking at staying in Panthip Suites on Sathorn Soi 1

Anyone know it ? We have to stay in that area as we have a meeting close by.

Any suggestions much appreciated. I have mailed the hotel twice and not got a reply :(

I like Lumpini park in the morning and late afternoon. I think there's a lack of shade in the middle of the day.

The small Peace Park (Suan Santipap) in soi Rangnam is also very beautiful, though a little crowded

around 6 pm.

For me, because it's close to my place, I like the 3 park 'complex' of Chatuchak, Railway Park and Queen Siriket Park, (also known as Suan Wachira Benchathat) at the intersection of Phaholyothin / Lad Phrao. It's great if you're a runner/walker because a full circuit of all three parks will take 40 -- 60 mins, depending of course on how fast you go. But it's peaceful, green and shaded and you're not doing endless laps. To get there take the BTS to Mo Chit or MRT to Chatuchak.

Lumpini is great because it's the oldest park in Bangkok. Some beautiful old trees you won't see anywhere else in the city.

Edited by dekestone

I like Suan Luang (Rama IX) park on Sri Nakarin Road. They have different areas with their own themes, like a Chinese garden, a jungle, and an orchid garden, and there are jogging trails, basketball and tennis courts, etc. It's huge and there is a lot to see there.

When I went to Lumpini, it just seemed like a large expanse of grass. But of course, Lumpinin is much easier to get to if you don't live near Suan Luang.

+1 for Suan Luang Rama IX Park

the park next door to Wat Chalerm Prakiat has lots to see and a great playground for kids with gentle exercise machines adjacent.Located on the Chao Praya riverside out Nonthaburi way.I think the park is called Kanchanapisek??

Maybe not the best, but Benjasri Park next to the Emporium Mall (Phrom Phung BTS) has beautiful mature trees and a nice walkway with a central pond.

There is public exercise equipment and nightly (5pm) group exercise. There are several "Tukraw" courts that usually have matches going with skillful players; a lot of fun to watch. There is also a skateboard area.

The playground areas are age specific and have been recently upgraded. There are often live music programs in the evening.

All in all, a very pleasant escape.

Maybe not the best, but Benjasri Park next to the Emporium Mall (Phrom Phung BTS) has beautiful mature trees and a nice walkway with a central pond.

There is public exercise equipment and nightly (5pm) group exercise. There are several "Tukraw" courts that usually have matches going with skillful players; a lot of fun to watch. There is also a skateboard area.

The playground areas are age specific and have been recently upgraded. There are often live music programs in the evening.

All in all, a very pleasant escape.

I also like Benjasri Park a great deal as well. I did a major assignment on the design when it was first opened many years ago and whilst i was still studying . I particularly like the overall layout and the use of sculpture or public art plus the way it does attempt to cater for all users. Ticks all the boxes in that respect.

However since then I have watched the maintenance deteriorate and the new playground’s upgrade is admirable but is a very poor in design ,in particular with safety aspects of the design. I took my kids there but I will not take them there again , unfortunately it is years behind in modern playground design and is outright dangerous . Such a shame as kids deserve better than this tokenism as there are not many other playgrounds around that are of any better standard either. Not that i have seen anyway .

There is a small one on Rama 3, just next to the Sortrel and with a view of the Kasikorn Bank Building at the other end of the Rama IX bridge. Quiet enjoyable!