Buying A Truck

tavarich

Ok now that I have access to your collective brain. I have decided to commence to begin to get ready to buy a truck. What is the paperwork process and can a foreigner even own. And what is a good insurance company. I want all the details please, and thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you (I think) because I'm hoping to buy one in the next week or so.

In short, I needed a car urgently so I bought an old banger off my son. Over last couple of weeks have had nothing but trouble so decided to get shot and start again.

Until I manage to realise some capital from my property at home, I can only go downmarket so have been looking at around the 100,000 baht mark.

I've found one in a local showroom - really clean, single cab (not ideal) 2.5 diesel, no fancy stuff.

I've been told that, apart from insurance, I may have to pay some kind of transfer fee when I buy. I think that this is on a sliding scale depending on the price.

If you're thinking of buying more upmarket, my son has just bought himself a Mitsubishi Strada. I think it cost around 3-400,000 baht and he got it on some kind of credit agreement. The problem with one of those is that you need a Thai guarantor and the interest rate if sky high.

Insurance again varies as in any other country depending on the vehicle, kind of cover etc.

As far as I know, there is no bar to Farangs buying cars - just that you need to be careful and preferably have a Thai with you when you go to look (and get them to do the bargaining for you).

I've been told that, apart from insurance, I may have to pay some kind of transfer fee when I buy. I think that this is on a sliding scale depending on the price.

If you're thinking of buying more upmarket, my son has just bought himself a Mitsubishi Strada. I think it cost around 3-400,000 baht and he got it on some kind of credit agreement. The problem with one of those is that you need a Thai guarantor and the interest rate if sky high.

Yes you do have to pay a transfer fee for the registration.

Your information on credit is not entirely correct though, it is not necessary to have a thai guarantor if you put 50% deposit up front (this is what I did)

All registered in my name :o

• 4 months later...

Yes where is the separate section?. I know this is an older topic, But I need some help.

On the 13th of May my thai wife and I went to the Toyota shop to order and put down payment

on a new Hilux Vigo 4door 4X4. It was during this time I asked the sales person if I could have the truck in My name since she said it could not be in 2 names. She and the Manager looked at my passport and my non-immigrant, category (O), multiple entry visa ( family visit visa). And said no-problem!. On the 18th We went back to Toyota and signed all the Documents and paid the Balance and with our red temporary plate drove our new truck back to our rented apartment

Now on June 1st My wife got this phone call form Toyota, saying the truck cannot be in my name because of my visa. That I need a work visa and a company letter to support I am working.

Can somebody give some advice!. :o

That's not correct at all. You DON'T need a work permit. I have a retirement visa and own my vehicle which I also bought new. I know many other guys who do not have work permits and their vehicles are in their names.

Yes where is the separate section?. I know this is an older topic, But I need some help.

On the 13th of May my thai wife and I went to the Toyota shop to order and put down payment

on a new Hilux Vigo 4door 4X4. It was during this time I asked the sales person if I could have the truck in My name since she said it could not be in 2 names. She and the Manager looked at my passport and my non-immigrant, category (O), multiple entry visa ( family visit visa). And said no-problem!. On the 18th We went back to Toyota and signed all the Documents and paid the Balance and with our red temporary plate drove our new truck back to our rented apartment

Now on June 1st My wife got this phone call form Toyota, saying the truck cannot be in my name because of my visa. That I need a work visa and a company letter to support I am working.

Can somebody give some advice!. :o