Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Learning Thai Language In Other Countries

IsaanUSA

Due to the visa regulations of Thailand, or due to other countries more lax visa regulations, it would appear easier for a single person under the age of 50 to live in a neighboring country. Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam seem popular with expats now-a-days. But I am wondering about Thai language schools existing in those countries. Do they exist there? I imagine there could be some kind of private tutoring available through a classifieds listing of some sort. Or perhaps just look for a Thai person and ask them if they could tutor you for a small fee.

I imagine it would be much easier in Laos, but how about places like Siem Reap, Phnom Pehn, Hanoi or Saigon?

Does that seem odd to learn Thai language in a neighboring country?

If you have done this, does it confuse you if you also try to learn some of the local language?

Why not study here and get an education visa? There's a reason Thailand has more expats than the neighboring countries. Most prefer to live here.

Have you been to these other countries before? If not, I'd highly recommend you do some recon visits first.

Are you retired? Are you looking to live in Asia full time for many years? Or just to learn Thai for a short time?

Actually I was trying to get a general conversation going, so I was keeping everything generic. I posted this in the Southeast Asia forum, so I was hoping the conversation would not be focused on living in Thailand specifically.

But to answer some of your questions, I'm in my 30's, single, been to those countries before, and I work full time in the USA (hence my username).

OK, but a bit confused about what you are trying to do. Discuss visa options among the various neighboring countries for people under 50 or discuss learning Thai in the various neighboring countries? Or both? Sorry, just trying to help out.

OK, but a bit confused about what you are trying to do. Discuss visa options among the various neighboring countries for people under 50 or discuss learning Thai in the various neighboring countries? Or both? Sorry, just trying to help out.

Oh sorry about that. My point was to discuss learning Thai in the various neighboring countries

• 4 weeks later...