Egypt'S Ousted Leader Mubarak In 'Very Critical' Condition, Not Dead

News_Editor

Egypt's ousted leader Mubarak in 'very critical' condition, not dead < br />

2012-06-20 05:17:50 GMT+7 (ICT)

CAIRO, EGYPT (BNO NEWS) -- Egypt's ousted leader Hosni Mubarak is on a respirator and in a 'very critical' condition, a military official said on late Tuesday, rejected an earlier report from the country's state-run news agency which claimed he had died.

Mubarak, 84, suffered a stroke and cardiac arrest earlier on Tuesday and had to be defibrillated. "He is not clinically dead as reported, but his health is deteriorating and he is in critical condition," Maj. Gen. Mamdouh Shahin, a member of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, told CNN.

Mubarak's attorney Farid al-Deeb also said Mubarak had not died.

Earlier, the state-run MENA news agency quoted medical sources as saying that Mubarak was declared clinically dead after he was transferred from a prison medical facility to the Maadi military hospital in Cairo. The report claimed Mubarak's heart had stopped beating and he did not respond after being defibrillated several times.

The regime of Mubarak was toppled in February 2011 following popular protests which began several weeks earlier, resulting in the deaths of more than 840 people as a result of a violent government-led crackdown. Mubarak, who had ruled the country for three decades, was sentenced to life in prison earlier this month after a court convicted him on charges of complicity in the killing of protesters.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-20

As unpleasant as he was, it is starting to look like he was better than what the world will end up with.

Perhaps it's a tad early for his obituary, but your point is well made and applies equally to Gadaffi and Assad. At least Mubarak may not live to see a Muslim brotherhood government, I think the words of another secular strongman apply here;-

Through the abusive interpretation of ignorant and filthy priests ... Islam, this absurd theology of an immoral Bedouin, is a rotting corpse which poisons our lives. - Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

I wonder what he would have made of the Arab spring.

• Like 1

They resuscitated him twice, what was the point of that? blink.png

I know you are attempting to be sardonic, but that's a tad nasty don't you think?

Far from it, the man is seriously ill, in his 80's, bed ridden, imprisoned, with no hope of release, he's had three heart attacks and been resuscitated.

I would suggest to you that my original comment was justified, please explain the point of resuscitating this man.

• Like 1

As unpleasant as he was, it is starting to look like he was better than what the world will end up with.

Perhaps it's a tad early for his obituary, but your point is well made and applies equally to Gadaffi and Assad. At least Mubarak may not live to see a Muslim brotherhood government, I think the words of another secular strongman apply here;-

Through the abusive interpretation of ignorant and filthy priests ... Islam, this absurd theology of an immoral Bedouin, is a rotting corpse which poisons our lives. - Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

While this quote is often found on islamophobe websites etc there is no evidence that Ataturk ever said this. It is as credible as claims that he was Jewish.

Ataturk was a nationalist Turk who wanted to see his country modernise and develop in the post-Ottoman era.

I know you are attempting to be sardonic, but that's a tad nasty don't you think?

Far from it, the man is seriously ill, in his 80's, bed ridden, imprisoned, with no hope of release, he's had three heart attacks and been resuscitated.

I would suggest to you that my original comment was justified, please explain the point of resuscitating this man.

Simple answer -so he has his day in court.

Simple answer -so he has his day in court.

If I am lying near death's door in Isaan and have just missed my 90 day report at Immigration, please don't let them resuscitate me and haul me to the police station so I can have my "day in court".

Let me die in peace and with some semblance of dignity, as Mubarak is entitled to.

While this quote is often found on islamophobe websites etc there is no evidence that Ataturk ever said this. It is as credible as claims that he was Jewish.

Ataturk was a nationalist Turk who wanted to see his country modernise and develop in the post-Ottoman era.

I guess he really loved Islam then, which is why he dismantled it's power base and created a secular constitution. I can't be bothered with your source policing save to say prove he didn't say it, but anyway it's peripheral to the topic. Here is a cartoon which sums the up the legacy of Mubarak's ouster pretty well.

which-ocracy.jpg

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18532330

Neat little piece re the slow motion exit of Mubarak and the continuing role of the Egyptian military. Underlines the point that entrenched political/economic power takes a long time to exit short of a total revolution. Similar to the military in Myanmar and even here in Thailand where the military still retains ultimate control ever since the 1932 coup d'état.

Dan re the "source policing", if you insist on producing spurious quotes and extremist opinions to back up your obvious agenda, I will point out their lack of credibility if and where appropriate. Debating an issue is what TV should be all about rather than trying to transform it into some agenda outlet.

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-18532330

Neat little piece re the slow motion exit of Mubarak and the continuing role of the Egyptian military. Underlines the point that entrenched political/economic power takes a long time to exit short of a total revolution. Similar to the military in Myanmar and even here in Thailand where the military still retains ultimate control ever since the 1932 coup d'état.

Dan re the "source policing", if you insist on producing spurious quotes and extremist opinions to back up your obvious agenda, I will point out their lack of credibility if and where appropriate. Debating an issue is what TV should be all about rather than trying to transform it into some agenda outlet.

Enough of your 'agenda' nonsense. Everybody has an agenda if it merely relates to a consistent view on a topic that one deems important - The same critique can be aimed at yourself not to mention the MSN, which seems to go to great lengths to give a polar opposite view to my own on some issues including this one.

So what do you think? Will the Arab spring lead to democracy in Egypt? If the Muslim brotherhood take over do you expect the persecution of gays, Coptic Christians and women to increase or decrease relative to the Mubarak regime? Do you believe the Muslim brotherhood would tear up the Camp David accords? Do you agree with U.S government threats to cut aid if the Egyptian military refuses to relinquish power?

These questions of course should be central to Western foreign policy, but alas the prevailing agenda seems to be to label the Muslim brotherhood as moderate when the evidence points to the opposite.

So what do you think? Will the Arab spring lead to democracy in Egypt? If the Muslim brotherhood take over do you expect the persecution of gays, Coptic Christians and women to increase or decrease relative to the Mubarak regime? Do you believe the Muslim brotherhood would tear up the Camp David accords? Do you agree with U.S government threats to cut aid if the Egyptian military refuses to relinquish power?

These questions of course should be central to Western foreign policy, but alas the prevailing agenda seems to be to label the Muslim brotherhood as moderate when the evidence points to the opposite.

I don't think Western foreign policy will have much influence on the region regardless. That part of the world is largely sectarian and tribal in nature. When the West intervenes, the outcome is dubious. When the west doesn't intervene, the outcome is dubious. When left to their own devices, the outcome is dubious.

Will gays and Coptic Christians be persecuted under the Muslim brotherhood? How were they treated before? Not very well.

Do I agree with the US government threat to cut aid? I really don't care. Whether the US cuts it or not will make little or no difference. And either way, the US will be at fault.

I don't think Western foreign policy will have much influence on the region regardless. That part of the world is largely sectarian and tribal in nature. When the West intervenes, the outcome is dubious. When the west doesn't intervene, the outcome is dubious. When left to their own devices, the outcome is dubious.

Will gays and Coptic Christians be persecuted under the Muslim brotherhood? How were they treated before? Not very well.

Do I agree with the US government threat to cut aid? I really don't care. Whether the US cuts it or not will make little or no difference. And either way, the US will be at fault.

I largely agree with your comments to a degree, save for the treatment of minorities. This is almost invariably far far worse under Islamist rule than it is under a secular dictator. The Muslim brotherhood are already warning of the Copts making a big mistake not voting for their candidate and here is a link showing which way the wind is blowing for gay people.

http://bikyamasr.com/70402/egypt-says-gay-people-are-not-real-people/

i believe, the cause and intention of the arab spring were not "dictator go away" in the first place...

i think, it was the deep awareness of the people, that they are getting the wool pulled over - compared to the world...

that they have and get less chances, than other populations...

how mistreated they are, compared to others...

...and so they know pretty good what they want...

...they know what they are looking for...

the arab spring cant be compared imo to other revolutions and things, as we are in the internet/information age...

things changed, people want to be part of this world, not so much only of a country or tribe anymore...

the egyptians also realised their suffering from within - moral boundaries do barely exist and the society became very rotten...

for a period of time, some are the winners of such a society, but from some point on all are loosing... this point has been reached in egypt...

i believe, they have a true chance to change things to the much better...

and as awful as they are, i nevertheless wish this for them...

whatever brotherhood it will be, the egyptians are in alertmode...

the government will be eyed closely, and everyone doing not well enough can quickly pack up...

Edited by dingdang