Thinking Of Joining Fitness First

WebBangkok

OK,

I have been with California wow for 3 years with a lifetime membership, forst 2 years where great, but now the gyms are falling apart, 12 out of 15 treadmills were out of order in the Pinklao branch and the equipment looked like they were about to fall apart.

I have also been to a few fitness firsts around Bangkok and am impressed, the one near my house is always in good conidion.

So I am thinking of joining fitness first.

So anyoen with them?

How much are you paying per year?

How is the equipment? I have only been a few times so not sure if they are always in good shape or not.

Don't go anywhere near them. When I started going there I was a 7 stone weakling. Now I'm 6 stone 12lbs. On the beach i was always getting sand kicked in my face. I think it was because I made extensive use of a knot hole in a bathing hut.

I took a newspaper cutting to my personal trainer and said I wanted a body just like that portrayed. He said that the pic was of Ursula Andress and he couldn't make me look like that. You want a body more like mine he said. No I countered, I want a body like this. Its not for me, its for the wife. She's already got a body like yours.

Acknowledgement to Barry Took and Marty Feldman.

• Like 1

Fitness First in other countries always seem to be over priced and geared towards people that feel they should go to the gym, pay for it and don't use it!

Whatever you do do not pay any 'joining fee' or 'membership' fee. They always try to sting people for this and it's about a 1/4 of the total price most of the time. Then they magically 'waive' it to close the deal.

Ok, put that aside. Let's negotiate after you binned that as there's no way I am paying a fee just for the priviledge of being allowed to give them money to go there!

I'd negotiate hard. Maybe call a few branches, check prices. Go in person to another and haggle a little more until you arrive a sensible middle ground price

Am a FF member for over 2 years. There are two prices: 2100+ passport type allowing to visit anytime at any branches except Platinum while a lunch time membership is around 1100+ you can stay at the club from 11am til 4:00PM Mon-Fri

It is hard to get a lunch time membership for new member unless you try to negotiate with the sale person. Good luck!

I watched the evolution of health clubs in Bangkok and found that I preferred hotel health clubs but they were not cheap. Being a lobby rat as well, I spent several hours a day hanging out in nice hotels. A squash court was also a necessity for me. I suppose it depends on how much you use the place and how important the ambience is to your experience.

I watched the evolution of health clubs in Bangkok and found that I preferred hotel health clubs but they were not cheap. Being a lobby rat as well, I spent several hours a day hanging out in nice hotels. A squash court was also a necessity for me. I suppose it depends on how much you use the place and how important the ambience is to your experience.

Ambiance means nothing to a real enthusiast. Most important is someone to egg you on to do better. smile.png

Ambiance means nothing to a real enthusiast. Most important is someone to egg you on to do better. smile.png

You are probably right. I just liked to play squash for a couple hours, lift weights, stretch, sauna, Jacuzzi, cold plunge and an occasional massage. Not really much of an enthusiast.wink.png

I was in fitness first for about 18 months. The price is around 2200 Baht per month. If you pay by credit card it is around 2000 Baht. The place is good. But I think its a bit pricey. To lure you they will give many discounts (like joining fee, 3 books, bag and so on) but they won't give discount on your monthly fee at all. They will give trainer only for 3 days. After that if you want to continue with that trainer you have to pay.

You are probably right. I just liked to play squash for a couple hours, lift weights, stretch, sauna, Jacuzzi, cold plunge and an occasional massage. Not really much of an enthusiast.wink.png

That is cool, your own man thumbsup.gif

I am with villagefarang on this one there are some wonderful hotel gyms in Bangkok , and,for me, it's worth paying a bit more for what you get. For a bit more than the ff membership you can join the excellent gym at the j w Marriott on suk. For a little bit more than that you can join the intercon or Hyatt or Sheraton and for a bit more than those (my fav) the 4 seasons (though there is a waiting list as they only have 50 members). If you make some use of the discounts/vouchers for use in the hotel bars/ restaurants you get with your membership at one of these , then the extra cost can be very much worth it.

• Like 1

I am with villagefarang on this one there are some wonderful hotel gyms in Bangkok , and,for me, it's worth paying a bit more for what you get. For a bit more than the ff membership you can join the excellent gym at the j w Marriott on suk. For a little bit more than that you can join the intercon or Hyatt or Sheraton and for a bit more than those (my fav) the 4 seasons (though there is a waiting list as they only have 50 members). If you make some use of the discounts/vouchers for use in the hotel bars/ restaurants you get with your membership at one of these , then the extra cost can be very much worth it.

I am a mere pauper so the Uni gym is the nuts for me laugh.png . The kids there wonder how an old guy like me lifts mega stuff and so the interaction is worth a bundle to me. biggrin.png

Well I joined FF 2 weeks ago. Here is some info:

Check out Terminal 21 which is open on 1 the 1st July. This is a blue club and is 1700 baht per month only if you use this club.

I opted for the Platinum membership which allows me to use any club in Thailand AND overseas as well. This is 2200 Baht per month

I have worked out in landmark a few times and I am terribly impressed. Its service all the way. All the machines work (unlike cali) you can watch the TV from all cardio stations (bring your own headphones).

I joined body pump class one day and the trainor TEE worked the class so hard I thought I would leave having a heart attack. They clean the studios after each class and you will always see a fresh mat to use as well.

Its clean all the way from the entracnce to the machines to the locker room.

In a way I am glad that Cali has gone bankrupt as its pushed me further by joining FF!

May I add when I joined there is no bullshit with the prices everything is printed out and in order.

Edited by expatinbkk

I haven't found indoor squash in Bangkok, except at the international schools. Suggestions?

I haven't found indoor squash in Bangkok, except at the international schools. Suggestions?

It has been so long I don’t know what is available these days. I played at the old Regent when they had two courts, The Hyatt, the old Hilton, the Landmark, the Australian Embassy, the Capital Club, Polo Club, some place on Ratchada and a couple of condos. One friend was living in a condo on Chitlom and they had a really nice court.

As they built more courts it became harder to find games without traveling around the city as players preferred clubs close to home or office. Many of the more recent hotels opted for spas over squash courts as they produce more revenue. I eventually blew out my shoulder at 50 but that is another story.

• 1 year later...

I joined FF a month ago and since then their service has been terrible. Their trainer didn't call me back. The sales rep told me for days on end, "He'll call you tomorrow." When he finally made an appointment with me, he showed up 15 minutes late and left 15 minutes early. I tried to complain and guess what: "We'll call you back." They suck.