Best Usb Broadband Device For Downloads?

rikki

What is my best bet for a USB stick device to surf and make downloads with?

I dont need it to be expensive but would like to know the costs involved

Doesnt have to be the fastest but I would like unlimited

My current residence wifi is useless

There are very few, if any, unlimited/uncapped mobile broadband 3G service providers here.

Do you have any idea how many Giga-Bytes of data you download/upload in a 30 day period?

Can you share any details re: your location?

A 3G USB modem can be had for 1,500 baht, but you need to make sure that modem works with your service provider of choice.

It might be easiest to just get a USB modem which supports 850 Mhz 3G and then go with TrueMove H, CAT My or DTAC/Happy?

I've been using a D-Link DWM-156 for while and am happy with this. However it is an older generation, and a new model may offer better performance.

http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/DTAC-3G-Aircard/

http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/Truemove-3G-Aircard/

http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/TOT-3G-Aircard/

Personally, I would just have two SIM cards. One Time Based and the other Volume Based. Use the Time Based for downloading and the Volume Based for general surfing.

Lomatopo will likely fill you in as to the best deals in their respective categories.

Personally, I would just have two SIM cards. One Time Based and the other Volume Based. Use the Time Based for downloading and the Volume Based for general surfing.

Lomatopo will likely fill you in as to the best deals in their respective categories.

Don't think this works anymore.

Both Dtac and Ais limit the 3g speed to 384 kbps on their time based packages.

Ais actually calls it Edge+.

However, if it really gives a steady 40 kBps, and you are patient enough (or do overnight downloads), Dtac's 70 hours for 199 baht would give you cheap data. 70 hours should net you around 10 Gb of data at 40kBps... Much cheaper then 3g!

There aren't any unlimited 3G plans, at least in terms of speed although they're "unlimited" at lower speeds once you use up your quota.

Your best option, is if you can find (second hand is your only option) some CAT CDMA gear with a valid sim/account. This probably won't be easy to find. And it'll probably only work until the end of the year, when they plan to switch off CDMA.

Next best value for money-wise is currently CAT My, at b599 for 4Gb then 384kbps

Next, you have True-H at b899 for 5Gb and 1699 for 10Gb. They used to be (until last week) 384kbps but have probably recently cut this to 128kbps which isn't really much good other than for very basic surfing.

All of the above require you to be able to "see" a CAT tower, since true-H runs on their towers.

There's also similar packages to the True packages on AIS & DTAC.

It all depends on where you are and who's covering your area with 3G.

Like I said, if you can pick up a CAT CDMA from somewhere at least you'd have a relatively decent and unlimited connection until they switch it off. Failing that, you're stuck with 3G which as a rule of thumb usually works out anywhere from $4-7 per 1Gb of high speed data.

However, if it really gives a steady 40 kBps, and you are patient enough (or do overnight downloads), Dtac's 70 hours for 199 baht would give you cheap data. 70 hours should net you around 10 Gb of data at 40kBps... Much cheaper then 3g!

40 kbps- a different package to the 384kbps? I still need a modem? Or can I tether my phone to the PC?

That's 7hours for 1gb IF I get a true 40kbps- a documentary or film may be 3gb+

I can see for sale a CAT CDMA for 2900bt

I live in Nimmanhaemin overlooking doi suthep, no idea if there is a CAT tower here

Maybe best to move somewhere with a good cable connection

40 kBps, note the capital B indicating Bytes.

There are 8 bits in a Byte.

So 384 kbps (small b, bits) equals to 48 kBps (Bytes) as 384/8 equals 48.

Us nerds like to confuse people, so internet speeds are always indicated in bits (bigger numbers, always sounds more impressive), while file sizes are always indicated in Bytes. Hence the need to go to Bytes first if you want to estimate download times.

48 kBps you'll never get due to overhead inherrent to the protocols used, so 40 kBps is close to what you really should get!

40 kBps multiplied by 3600 (3600 seconds in an hour) equals 144,000 Bytes, or about 140 MB/hour. Indeed about 7 hours for a 1GB file...

Mobile internet is simply not suited to move lots of data around, although speed is high, capacity per area (coverage area of a cell tower) is very limited, and cannot simply be expanded due to saturation of the available frequencies.

Unlike with cabled internet (adsl, cable, fibre) where one strings a few more cables for more capacity, and Thai electricity poles are world renowned for holding massive amounts of wires spaghetti style smile.png

3GB for a movie does sound quite big, properly H264 encoded 720P movies should be more like under 1 GB...

I have to disagree with Jui-Jitsu here. I'd happily trade what I have now for 6 months of freedom, and worry about what to do next when they finally do switch it off. Who knows, all what options will be available after 6 months.

Your concern is whether you can "see" a CAT tower. CAT's coverage maps are fairly good, should give you a good idea.

You also need to be careful in checking with the seller that the account is active and doesn't have an outstanding postpaid balance on it. If it's just the modem he's selling (without an active account) it's unlikely to be useful - icbw but I don't think CAT will reactivate an expired CDMA modem...