First Time New Car Purchase & Bht100,000 Gov Rebate

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my understanding is rebate is untill the end of this year,

and we hope to complete the $$$$ paperwork $$$$ before the end of next month...

yes my TGF will be the first time buyer.....

seems the only catch is you must keep the car for 5 years can not sell it or it voids rebate ...

can't imagine the car being worth much re sale after 5 years .

hmmm always a catch $$$$$ in this country....

seems the only catch is you must keep the car for 5 years can not sell it or it voids rebate ...

Have you ordered the car yet? With a long waiting list for most models i'd be surprised if you can get one that quick, I did read somewhere you can get a Nissan Almera that quickly, but as for others, I think you'd be lucky.

As for resale values after 5 years, cars here hold their value extremely well, too well in my eyes. Just how the rebate scheme will affect the second hand market in 5 years time, when a potential flood of cars come onto the secondhand market, remains to be seen.

We just got our Nissan navara.only waited 2 months.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Thaivisa Connect App

That's good....lucky you, you did well and I am envious. We've been waiting 6 months for our Honda, although we knew with the problems after the floods it would be a fairly long wait. The initial estimate was mid-May.

We did a little searching around a few weeks ago to see what other companies could do, and all of them were quoting long, long waits. Honda were saying it would be the new year for most models. We didn't enquire about any Nissans as we are after a car and I really dislike the Almera. I'm beginning to think we should have gone the pick-up route. Toyota were saying about 3 months I seem to recall.

Edited by LucidLucifer

We put our Ranger under the mother in-laws name.

She has never even driven before but has a license :P

We applied for it, not sure if we will get it or not, If we do, then that is just a nice bonus :)

I believe the owner needs to be Thai, the car has to be under 1 million Baht and it has to be the first new car the owner has bought. I also think there is also a few other criterias

AFAIK it is also a scheme where you get a tax credit.

So for people not paying tax (stay at home mom, low salary menial worker, self employed non tax payer) you don't get any sort of a credit.

Basically, it is a giveaway that was designed to win votes for the young professional segment and help out Honda, Toyota etc, it isn't really designed for driving demand for cars right across the board.

Also, it has the add on effect of screwing over anyone who isn't eligible for the program, since there are now 2 tiers of car pricing.

I have asked numerous dealers and was told relatively few people were eligible or interested once they learned how the scheme worked...but I am not in the market for the type of cars they were promoting.

5 year old cars in some cases (Toyota pickups, Honda Jazz, etc) will be worth perhaps 60% of the purchase price; I have recently been offered 50%+ for an 8 year old Toyota pick up with 170,000km. Prices stay quite strong in Thailand. of course, there will be a flood of cars as the 5 years comes up, but even so, the lack of cars available now helps somewhat on that.

To get the gov rebate, the car will be registered in the name of my girlfriend.

Actually, I'd like some proof that I paid for the car...

Is it possible to write the bill in my name, without endanger the rebate ?

To get the gov rebate, the car will be registered in the name of my girlfriend.

Actually, I'd like some proof that I paid for the car...

Is it possible to write the bill in my name, without endanger the rebate ?

...and what will this give you ?...the car is hers,if her name is in the book...

To ensure that she does not forget what a good heart I have... wai.gif

Besides, who knows the future and I've had good experiences to keep things transparent and accountable.

On the other hand, why should the bill not be issued in my name ...

To ensure that she does not forget what a good heart I have... wai.gif

Besides, who knows the future and I've had good experiences to keep things transparent and accountable.

On the other hand, why should the bill not be issued in my name ...

I think,reasonably speaking,the bill should go to the "buyer",specially if one wants to claim a big refund like this...and whatever you pay for them,it's like a "gift"...no refund on that...tongue.png

So for people not paying tax (stay at home mom, low salary menial worker, self employed non tax payer) you don't get any sort of a credit.

AFAIK this is not true.

We purchased at the very beginning of this scheme and my GF does not pay any tax. All the paperwork was filled in some months ago and she received a call last week and had to go and refill in a form - because they have now designed a snazzy new form with a big seal in the middle of it - which makes it more difficult to decipher. There were lots of other people doing the same when we were there.

Nobody has even hinted that she may not receive the pay out because she does not pay any tax.

If/when we receive the rebate it will be paid directly into her bank account - but no one would commit as to when that would be.

When it started the rebate (which varies as it was based on the tax paid on the original purchase price) was only available on cars/trucks below 1m and within certain engine sizes.

That rumour has come up a few times, but has been denied by the government. Still, with the first payment still to come one never knows here.

I am considering purchasing a Hilux Vigo smart cab 3.0G 4wd. I don't really need the 4WD version but found a new one available to purchase off the showroom floor after the orginal owner cancelled their order at the last moment. I am renting a car at the moment 15K a month, so i have talked myself into the 4WD, because if I ordered the two wheel drive version I am saving 15K per month multplied by 3-5 ++? mths delivery time.

Now to the question. I was going to put in my wife's name for the rebate, however the dealership advised me that the rebate value on this particular vehicle is only 20K. I undetsand that the rebate is max to 100K and based on the tax of the individ vehicle, however, Can someone confirm this vehicle rebate is only 20K or post a web link where I could check.

(also should I be a bit suspect that the new car ended up on the showroom floor and not offered to one of the many other customers on the waitlist?)

I am considering purchasing a Hilux Vigo smart cab 3.0G 4wd. I don't really need the 4WD version but found a new one available to purchase off the showroom floor after the orginal owner cancelled their order at the last moment. I am renting a car at the moment 15K a month, so i have talked myself into the 4WD, because if I ordered the two wheel drive version I am saving 15K per month multplied by 3-5 ++? mths delivery time.

Now to the question. I was going to put in my wife's name for the rebate, however the dealership advised me that the rebate value on this particular vehicle is only 20K. I undetsand that the rebate is max to 100K and based on the tax of the individ vehicle, however, Can someone confirm this vehicle rebate is only 20K or post a web link where I could check.

(also should I be a bit suspect that the new car ended up on the showroom floor and not offered to one of the many other customers on the waitlist?)

It depends on the exact model, but rebate would be more like 80K. There ahve been a few threads about the rebate here including links.

I stand corrected, see this link for rebate amounts, Champ Smart Cab 3.0G 4WD is 20,000 Baht.

Edited by stevenl

It depends on the exact model, but rebate would be more like 80K. There ahve been a few threads about the rebate here including links.

I stand corrected, see this link for rebate amounts, Champ Smart Cab 3.0G 4WD is 20,000 Baht.

do you have a link for rebate amounts on something like a fortuna?

I think all the Fortunas are over 1m? If so you are out of luck, or were, as one of the original criteria to qualify was for it to be less than 1m baht - unless this changed?

I think all the Fortunas are over 1m? If so you are out of luck, or were, as one of the original criteria to qualify was for it to be less than 1m baht - unless this changed?

what about that new Suzuki swift?

Actually it is the motor specs that would also bar the Fortuners. Motors (excepting pickups) must be below 1.5 cc.

• 3 weeks later...

So does this mean you have to pay the full retail price of the car first, then wait for the rebate to be paid back?

Is it one lump sum that you will get ?

How long will this rebate take to be paid ?

Hope she does not run off with it when you have a big bust up after all it is in her name it happened to my friend Jeep,furniture,everything cleared from the rented house in 2 hours all he was left with was the electric, ubc and telephone bill which she left on the kitchen worktop

So does this mean you have to pay the full retail price of the car first, then wait for the rebate to be paid back?

Is it one lump sum that you will get ?

How long will this rebate take to be paid ?

1° Correct, you pay first and you get your rebate one year after.

2° Yes.

3° Normally one year; however if the thai national on the name of whom this car is registered (reminder: not for farangs!) sells it before five years, he is liable to repay the full amount of the rebate.