Motorcycles!?

I've always thought that people who have a choice and choose to ride a motorcycle must be slighty off kilter. Ive seen some horrific motorcycle accidents in LOS and the US, and would never travel anywhere without my personal steel safety cage surrounding me.

I suppose my view stems from the time I was 8, and watched a motorcycle rider in US, lose control, wipe out, and have his helmeted head run over by an 18 wheeler. Needless to say, he didn't pop back up, and wipe the dust off.

What is it about those machines that people want to risk life and limb? (when they have a choice in the matter. I fully concede that economics dictates that some people in LOS have no choice but to use them).

Peace

I've always thought that people who have a choice and choose to ride a motorcycle must be slighty off kilter. Ive seen some horrific motorcycle accidents in LOS and the US, and would never travel anywhere without my personal steel safety cage surrounding me.

I suppose my view stems from the time I was 8, and watched a motorcycle rider in US, lose control, wipe out, and have his helmeted head run over by an 18 wheeler. Needless to say, he didn't pop back up, and wipe the dust off.

What is it about those machines that people want to risk life and limb? (when they have a choice in the matter. I fully concede that economics dictates that some people in LOS have no choice but to use them).

Peace

I guess if you just don’t get it then it probably not worth trying to explain it to you

I guess if you just don’t get it then it probably not worth trying to explain it to you

Actually, I think that is precisely the reason why you should try to explain it to me. My wife says Im a pretty good listener. Give it a shot!

OK then

The sense of freedom you feel when it is just you and your bike flying down the road wind in your face as you throw it into the corner and then power on hard coming out the other end and sweet sound blasting out the pipes.

Then there’s the camaraderie you develop with the guys that you ride with and the pleasure you get from working on your bike and then flogging the sh1t out of it

And of course customizing your bike so it stands out from every one else’s There of course many other things like the power to weight ratio so you get a lot more performance for your money. The scenery is better and to have the ease of the road to pull over anywhere and not be closed into a can

and it makes you feel alive :o

I can understand the feeling of freedom and fun aspects. But don't you ever feel scared that there is nothing between you and the tons of crazy drivers in LOS? As a teacher, it seems that all my Thai students have elbow and knee scars, and when I ask them the cause it is inveritably "motasai".

What do you think?

I think motorcycles keep Thailand's gene pool clean. It's fun when you are on top, but if it's not you today, then it's someone else, and it will be you tomorrow. Only strongest survive till the old age.

If there was no fun and adrenalin rush people would never ride the bikes.

Rigger summed it up pretty well. I loved all that too until some silly cow pulled out directly in front of me putting me into ICU for 2 weeks. But ... after over 25 years riding bikes and after too many accidents too count, sooner or later you will have a 'biggy' and become a cropper. You are more or less guaranteed to have an accident at some stage on a bike and that is something that has to be accepted. I'm now more or less healed (the accident was 7 months ago) and feel like getting back on a bike. Why? It's simple, unless you've experienced riding a decent bike on a beautiful day down a good winding road you'll never know.

Unfortunately, the wife says if a new bike comes, she goes!

Decisions decisions! :o

I can understand the feeling of freedom and fun aspects. But don't you ever feel scared that there is nothing between you and the tons of crazy drivers in LOS? As a teacher, it seems that all my Thai students have elbow and knee scars, and when I ask them the cause it is inveritably "motasai".

What do you think?

You don't have to drive like the Thais. They go everywhere without looking on their bikes. I bet a lot of those motocy accidents are simply caused by stupid driving.

Also keep in mind that on a bike you're a much smaller target. An 18-wheeler over most cars don't leave much behind either - and you're a lot easier to hit.

Agree with Rigger, and add that it's a very quick way to get around, even being as careful as I can. The traffic in BKK is terrible, and locally I go everywhere on my bike, Chaeng Wattana road is one big car park at rush hour.

Another add is that to a lot of people/families a m/c is their only form of transport, they just can't afford 4 wheels, and we all know how much the Thai love walking anywhere!

I don't have any experience with streetbikes, but I always enjoyed riding dirtbikes and ATV's when I was growing up. I agree that there are some good benefits to having a bike vs a car and bikes are a lot of fun.

However, as one poster said, you're almost guaranteed to have some sort of accident while riding a bike. Most of the accidents experienced by bikers such as a tip over, etc are not serious but somewhere down the line you might have a "biggie" and regret it. A friend of mine recently had an accident while doing about 60km/per hour (low speed by bike standards) down a wide, open road when a stupid taxi driver decided to turn into a soi from the middle of the road. He hit the side of the car cracking the frame of his bike. He broke his collarbone, fractured his shoulder blade and broke a rib or two. Except for a lot of pain when he tries to use his right arm, he's otherwise ok. The taxi driver suffered no injuries and neither did his passenger. This friend of mine had nearly made up his mind to never ride again until of course he saw a good deal on a newer, faster bike. Most of the road fatalities here in Thailand are belong to bikers.

No matter how careful you are, you have NO control over the other guy. Bikes are faster, lighter and easier to zip around with than cars but it all comes down to simple physics: the guy in the heavier vehicle with the steel body around him will win every time. If the novelty of riding a bike means more to you than the realities of bike vs car in a collision then all you can do is be careful and keep your fingers crossed.

Rigger summed it up pretty well. I loved all that too until some silly cow pulled out directly in front of me putting me into ICU for 2 weeks. But ... after over 25 years riding bikes and after too many accidents too count, sooner or later you will have a 'biggy' and become a cropper. You are more or less guaranteed to have an accident at some stage on a bike and that is something that has to be accepted. I'm now more or less healed (the accident was 7 months ago) and feel like getting back on a bike. Why? It's simple, unless you've experienced riding a decent bike on a beautiful day down a good winding road you'll never know.

You've hit the nail on the head VTR.

:o Having formely been an internationaly ranked rider (HRC support rider) Ex stuntman and also currently racing offroad cars (Baja500/1000)

I get this question all the time. Don't know how to answer it, or should I say they would not understand my expliantion. I don't even bother anymore....

It's in your blood.

Scott

Check out the links

stunts

Terrasport racing

Edited by highonthai

Actually, I think that is precisely the reason why you should try to explain it to me. My wife says Im a pretty good listener. Give it a shot!

Ever wondered why dogs like to stick their heads out of car windows? :o

Ask a bird not to fly a painter not to paint a flutist not to blow what decision :D

I reckon there is a motorcycle gene somewhere, like was said above, it's in your blood.

I snapped both bones in my right lower leg and have a 14 inch titanium pin inside my tibia....... I was back on my motocross bike just as soon as i could walk again.

Some folks use narcotics, bikes are my drug. :o

My ex girlfriend in Oz tried that and even tried to knock over the 1981 FLH strip dresser I had :D

I had told her from the start two things you dont @#$% with my bike and my job because you will lose and she tried to reck both hence she is my ex

It dont matter how shitty your day has been jump on a bike and all is forgoten 10 min into the ride

What do you think?

You don't have to drive like the Thais. They go everywhere without looking on their bikes. I bet a lot of those motocy accidents are simply caused by stupid driving.

Also keep in mind that on a bike you're a much smaller target. An 18-wheeler over most cars don't leave much behind either - and you're a lot easier to hit.

[/quote

Kid on motorcycles are a worry I get pisst off when they pull out in front of me they just have no idea at all and don’t bother to look and no helmets no license. I try and avoid riding during the times that they are coming or going from school. But a funny thing is when you nearly run them down they think that it is a big joke

Edited by Rigger

i come from Joey Dunlop land where bike racing is real, not your safe track antics with very little risk, not saying i personally have the baaalls to ride like any of the real legends....i don't, I competed in motor sport for a few years (not bikes) and did well, i've always had me fast motors and have learned to respect high power and what is can do, I caame to Thailand with a void to fill, I sold everything including my cars and missed the power buz within a very short time, i also missed the freedom to go out and decide where i wanted to go and when soooooooooo I looked at the traffic congestion, looked at options for transport and decided i would buy a big bike, something I could tour on comfortably with passenger and still get a power buzz when safe to do so, i can go at 20mph around town or 0-60mph in under 3 secs to a top speed of some 180 mph...........my choice and it's fun....BTW there is no way on earth i would ever consider doing that kind off speed but it's nice to know you can, I bought a very nice quiet Honda, you'd never hear me coming, has stock pipes which make it very none rental or harley noisey, those thumping twins with no exhaust are so anoying......do they come with ear plugs

anyway rant over, i have a jolly time on my honda and although riding a bike in thailand is a risky business i prefer it to any pickup or toyota.........up to me :o

i come from Joey Dunlop land where bike racing is real, not your safe track antics with very little risk, not saying i personally have the baaalls to ride like any of the real legends....i don't, I competed in motor sport for a few years (not bikes) and did well, i've always had me fast motors and have learned to respect high power and what is can do, I caame to Thailand with a void to fill, I sold everything including my cars and missed the power buz within a very short time, i also missed the freedom to go out and decide where i wanted to go and when soooooooooo I looked at the traffic congestion, looked at options for transport and decided i would buy a big bike, something I could tour on comfortably with passenger and still get a power buzz when safe to do so, i can go at 20mph around town or 0-60mph in under 3 secs to a top speed of some 180 mph...........my choice and it's fun....BTW there is no way on earth i would ever consider doing that kind off speed but it's nice to know you can, I bought a very nice quiet Honda, you'd never hear me coming, has stock pipes which make it very none rental or harley noisey, those thumping twins with no exhaust are so anoying......do they come with ear plugs

anyway rant over, i have a jolly time on my honda and although riding a bike in thailand is a risky business i prefer it to any pickup or toyota.........up to me :D

Loud pipes safe lives

I noticed it a lot as my bike had a stock set of pipes and I always had trouble with dogs and kids running out on to the road. So I put on a set of powerful horns which helped a bit but you had to be quick with the finger

So then I brought some V&H straight shot pipes. Problem solved kids dogs run for cover car alarms go off and babies cry. But what’s a bit of noise pollution if it just save one persons life :D

But I would not recommend doing that to a 4 cylinder as they sound like crap to start with :o

It's like they say if you want to buy a rolls royce and need to ask the price , you shouldn't be in the showroom.

I've been riding since I was 10 years old and that includes 10 months as a despatch rider in London and never had more than scrapes and bruises.

When your number is up.....

There are plenty of ways to die that could be from just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You could ask the same question to sky divers, rock climbers etc etc.

I don,t ride as hard as I use to maybe getting a bit older and wiser

Now days if I start getting a bit carried away I just think of my family and what they would do if I didn,t make it home that day and thats enough to slow me down until I get the urge again.

Also riding in Isan I think has made me a better rider as I look for the unexpected all the time. I hate coming around a sweeping bend and theres a herd of cattle crossing on a blind corner :o you hit the pegs so hard the rear is swealing and you can fill the front forks start to bend

When I first started riding my CR around I came sliding around a corner speedway style and I noticed two ladys with push bikes they took one look at me coming around the corner droped there bikes and ran off into the bushes :D

Thiaboxer, so getting in a ring and getting your head smashed in is any smarter?

dont flame me, i am in same u, and ride

Don't let my avatar fool you; I'm not a professional fighter. I just do it for fun/exercise and although sparring has it's risks, it's far safer than riding a motorcycle in Thailand.

I suppose it's smart to ride if you wear a good quality helmet as it protects the brain. The rest of the body is not important :o

It's in the blood as other posters say :D

In the UK full leathers are a must and the roads are good & twisty. Ergo the big sports bike is king. Nothing like being banked over 45% & powering out of a bend. It's pure freedom while actually being part of the machine, guiding it with your body rather than pointing where you want to go.

In Thailand I ride custom NOT sports. Roads are crap and drivers are awful, also not possible to go on the tollway so blasting around is out of the question. I would be dead in a week.

Full leathers are impossibly hot so just a jacket & jeans, often it's t shirt, shorts and sandles. when in Thailand I ride defensively and totally chilled so a custom is what I like.

& yes it's a question of when not if. You just have to hope you get lucky, i guess it's dangerous but then again the fun & feeling far outweighs the danger, don't even think about ( unless ive had a near thing). :o

Covering up the body is a must; many of the motorcycle taxi guys are covered from head to toe despite the tropical climate. Full leather would be tough but I think serious bikers use "alligator" pads which they slide in between their backs and their jackets to protect them from road rash should they take a fall.

Most of the helmets here are no good. A $400 Shoei would be a good start along with some good riding boots. I once saw a guy wearing a NFL helmet ( I think it was the Washington Redskins) :o

Covering up the body is a must; many of the motorcycle taxi guys are covered from head to toe despite the tropical climate. Full leather would be tough but I think serious bikers use "alligator" pads which they slide in between their backs and their jackets to protect them from road rash should they take a fall.

Funny thing about serious bikers.....I've noticed some wearing leathers and kitted up with armor padding etc on long rides. But the same guys will ride around town or a beach resort on their step-thrus in nothing but t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops and a helmet in the basket. :D

Aren't we all more at risk around town than out and about upcountry?

For me personally, I have more close calls in and around BKK than I do when out on the open roads. :o

What good is having padded or armored clothing hanging in the wardrobe at home when you've been thrown from a 'nifty 150' around town doing 25kph and you hit the edge of the kerb? Or plough into the back of a taxi that has suddenly braked to pick up a passenger? Or when Somchai in his pick up pulls out in front of you from a side soi? Or, or, or,........ :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a 'go' at anyone as I know we all have our preferences for bikes, riding, dressing etc., but this is something that I've noticed over the years. :D

There have been times when I couldn't afford another car (such as when I had a wife and six kids, or after the divorce), so I rode bikes. Eleven of them, maybe 165,000 miles. The last wreck, here in Thailand, was probably the worst (the fault of a dog thinking he earned the road; I killed him).

I can't afford to buy a new car here, and don't trust a used car, so I'm still riding the CBR150. If you've been to rider's school, wear a $200 helmet (or even a 1,500 baht Nolan), drive defensively, give it your full attention at all times, and know how to swerve, you can survive. Usually.

Steel cages are just so boooooooooring.

:o jbowman1993wrote:

I’ve always thought that people who have a choice and choose to ride a motorcycle must be slighty off kilter.

Perhaps you’re secretly envious?

Ive seen some horrific motorcycle accidents in LOS and the US

And you've never seen a car accident.

and would never travel anywhere without my personal steel safety cage surrounding me.

How very delicate of you. But you ain’t really safe in that cage.

And so? We’ve all gotta go sometime, and that way was fast and painless with a great rush towards the end. He certainly avoided Alzheimer's. Don’t you just admire the way T. E. Lawrence went out riding beloved Brough Superior SS100?

“'A skittish motorbike,' [Lawrence] said; 'with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness. Because Boa' - Boa was Lawrence's pet name for his Brough - 'loves me, he gives me five more miles of speed than a stranger would get from him.' http://www.cyberium.net/imagine/M/brough-superior.html

Merely the thrill of speed, freedom, and power--and of course rebellion. Nothing but great sex can compare with it. (Well, maybe skydiving etc.) Get the experience and the balls to ride a big V-Twin and you’ll see for yourself.

Yep, every man owes it to himself to ride a bike, just as he should visit Bangkok at least once in his life. :D

Besides that, to give you something bean-counting you can better grasp, bikes are most convenient and economical for getting around quickly in Thailand. Some of us have better things to do than sit in traffic, when, after all, we can just go around it. :D

Edited by JSixpack