Cat Telecom Broken Today

RandomSand

I'm on a Sophon-Pattaya provided line and today the CAT network has been down from 11:45 - 15:45.

Seems that one of their routers, between the customer facing gateway and the International gateway, has had problems ...but *is* working as write this.

It strikes me that their network does not have enough resiliency if outages can happen like this.

Despite these problems; My 2Mbs Down /1Mbs Up Premium line is pretty reliable.

I would like to highlight three things that bother me:

1. The connection cannot handle Bloomberg TV consistently ( 1Mbs stream).

2. There is some problem with their DHCP server where the PPP link gets terminated every 24 hours. Transparent renewal not working.

3. Despite CAT's fanfare about their progress in the IPV6 arena; the reality for regular end-users is a lack of any transitional IPV6 support.

Well it did come back on late wed afternoon, but ever since then it has been pretty appalling.

I get the occasional , very brief periods of 'normal speeds' like 4- 5 Mbps, but it soon drops right back to an unusable speed - like 30 - 60 kbps. This morning at 10 am it was 4.7 Mbps, but within 30 minutes it had dropped back to 40KBPS.

It never drops out entirely but it pretty much unusable.

Does anyone have any info on what is going on? Is CAT still having these outages or is it my local provider?

No point screaming at BTV if it is CAT.

Thanks for any info.

Sent my GF with a transcript of my dismal download speeds to BTV and within 30 minutes they were up at my place with truck and ladder.

The cable to my house plus a 'dongle' connecting me to the main box was replaced and everything is now fine. smile.png