Palm Hills

egeefay

We are thinking of buying some land to build in the Hua Hin area and are looking at a couple of golf residential communities.

Palm Hills is one of them...conveniently located hear downtown. The other is Springfield...further away but less expensive

Both communities are largely undeveloped (a lot of lots sold but not that many houses built)

I'm hoping I can get any feedback or reviews from people who may be living there or who know of someone living there.

Thanks

Was just up there last week visiting an old friend who's a longtime owner & resident at palm hills. Great guy and he'll probably be happy to answer any questions you might have. This is his place and you can contact him here if you like: http://www.bahtsold.com/detail.php?id=14781

There's lots of property available, take your time is the rule of course and ask lots of questions from those who are owners/residents in the area. Good luck :o

Was just up there last week visiting an old friend who's a longtime owner & resident at palm hills. Great guy and he'll probably be happy to answer any questions you might have. This is his place and you can contact him here if you like: http://www.bahtsold.com/detail.php?id=14781

There's lots of property available, take your time is the rule of course and ask lots of questions from those who are owners/residents in the area. Good luck :o

Thanks. I emailed him

I understand places like Palm Hills and Springfield are older communities...at least 10 years old I was told. That's why I was surprised to see so few houses built on the properties. A drive around revealed a lot of undeveloped lots. Most of the lots have been sold so I assumed that there were a lot of investors just hanging on to the property.

Another thing is that at Palm Hills it looks like they've just gotten around to building the sports complex.

It seems like everything ground to a halt when the economy went bad and is just now picking up.

Springfield had even fewer houses and more vacant lots...and the roads leading to some of the lots were not even built yet.

I was just curious if these golf developments were having difficulty getting up and running or are there just a lot of investors holding on to the land for speculation.

• 1 year later...

Thanks. I emailed him

I understand places like Palm Hills and Springfield are older communities...at least 10 years old I was told. That's why I was surprised to see so few houses built on the properties. A drive around revealed a lot of undeveloped lots. Most of the lots have been sold so I assumed that there were a lot of investors just hanging on to the property.

Another thing is that at Palm Hills it looks like they've just gotten around to building the sports complex.

It seems like everything ground to a halt when the economy went bad and is just now picking up.

Springfield had even fewer houses and more vacant lots...and the roads leading to some of the lots were not even built yet.

I was just curious if these golf developments were having difficulty getting up and running or are there just a lot of investors holding on to the land for speculation.

Palm Hills now is booming once again, there is a whole new project opened up called Palm Village, already 50 lots have sold out of 75 avaliable.

The reason for all the vacant lots else where in PH's is because people are trying to make a few dollars on thier investment.

Good luck, but if your thinking of PH's to live & play, better move on it now!

Edited by Pundi64

After posting the initial topic and a long time seaching for the right plot we finally bought a plot of land in Palm Hills back in March 2006

I just returned to the States after spending several days in Palm Hills, playing golf and just roaming around the streets of the development, observing the new houses going up and seeing what was going on.

There seems to be a lot of construction going on now. But still a lot of undeveloped lots

Many Europeans seem to have bought and built there.

I like the idea of houses built around a golf course and the fact that it there are some architectural controls: no parking on the street, no opening up noodle shops on the ground floor appeal to me.

I don't think we could ever live on a soi..with all the traffic, noise , businesses and soi dogs at night.

There are other issues, like the water rates, which I understand are pretty high in Palm Hills. (They have their own water, not municipal water like most places in Hua Hin/Cha am.

They seem to take good care of the streets in Palm Hills and they have a nice Sports Center and Club House.

We took a look at other developments before we bought . Some of them were nice but could only be accessed by passing through some pretty run down areas. Palm Hills is right off the main road and has a nice tree lined entrance.

My brother and sister in law are building their dreamhome there now so once it is done and they've moved in I'll be able to tell whether or not it's a place we'd like to retire to.

So far , I like what I've seen.

After posting the initial topic and a long time seaching for the right plot we finally bought a plot of land in Palm Hills back in March 2006

I just returned to the States after spending several days in Palm Hills, playing golf and just roaming around the streets of the development, observing the new houses going up and seeing what was going on.

There seems to be a lot of construction going on now. But still a lot of undeveloped lots

Many Europeans seem to have bought and built there.

I like the idea of houses built around a golf course and the fact that it there are some architectural controls: no parking on the street, no opening up noodle shops on the ground floor appeal to me.

I don't think we could ever live on a soi..with all the traffic, noise , businesses and soi dogs at night.

There are other issues, like the water rates, which I understand are pretty high in Palm Hills. (They have their own water, not municipal water like most places in Hua Hin/Cha am.

They seem to take good care of the streets in Palm Hills and they have a nice Sports Center and Club House.

We took a look at other developments before we bought . Some of them were nice but could only be accessed by passing through some pretty run down areas. Palm Hills is right off the main road and has a nice tree lined entrance.

My brother and sister in law are building their dreamhome there now so once it is done and they've moved in I'll be able to tell whether or not it's a place we'd like to retire to.

So far , I like what I've seen.

Your post is kind of interesting and I wonder how well you know Hua Hin?

Some soi's are pretty quiet and I suspect those "run down" areas you refer to are really typical Thai streets? 1st appearances can be deceptive and change when you get to know a place.

Its a pity the architectural controls tou mention don't extend to some of the gross buildings at Palm Hills. Theres a whole thread about that on another site.

The thought of a noodle shop in Palm Hills is also kind of interesting!

Your post does rather sound that you will choose to live in a farang/rich Thai enclave and good luck to you. Horses for courses and all that but not for me.

just watch out for snakes within the palmhills ground....especially if you have young children something to be concerned about. this was 3 years ago...and im hoping that the situation has changed. Im not talking about one being spotted everyday, but there were definitely a number of times. cant say if they were/are dangerous snakes or not....but it would frighten most people anyhow.....

so just check with the management on that

good luck with the new home :o

Your post is kind of interesting and I wonder how well you know Hua Hin?

Some soi's are pretty quiet and I suspect those "run down" areas you refer to are really typical Thai streets? 1st appearances can be deceptive and change when you get to know a place.

Its a pity the architectural controls tou mention don't extend to some of the gross buildings at Palm Hills. Theres a whole thread about that on another site.

The thought of a noodle shop in Palm Hills is also kind of interesting!

Your post does rather sound that you will choose to live in a farang/rich Thai enclave and good luck to you. Horses for courses and all that but not for me.

You are correct. I have limited knowledge of most areas in and around Hua Hin. My experience of soi living is from our Thai friends who live on a Soi in Bangkok (not Hua Hin)

Their house is surrounded by a high wall so while you are inside the compound everything is clean and orderly. Once you step outside into the Soi , however, it’s a whole different story. The street is maintained by the city, I assume, because there’s a lot of garbage and dog poop littering the street and the streets themselves are broken and cracked. A couple of doors down from my friends house are a lot of 3 story “hong taews” where folks live upstairs and conduct business on the first floor.

People parked their cars along the Soi, which impedes two way traffic. The people running businesses also often extend their business out across the sidewalks and into the street making it even more difficult to pass. And At night the soi belongs to the street dogs. Few people dare to wander outside of the walled compound at night… except by car.

So, If I had the choice, to live on a soi or to live in a private development, I would certainly choose a private development like Palm Hills. It seems to come closest to the way I am use to living in my neighborhood here in the States.. It doesn’t have to be an exclusive area. Just an area that is reserved for residential houses, with security at the front entrance and some rules and regulations governing what you can build and how people are expected to conduct themselves…and no wild dogs running around at night.

I’m sure there are lots of developments in Hua Hin that would fit that bill.

It doesn’t bother me that some people in Palm Hills build “gross building”. I’m sure the people that live in them really enjoy their life. And since I don’t have to live in those homes, it doesn’t bother me.

As long as they don’t turn them into dirty factories or open up a noisy karaoke restaurant I can overlook their design .

That being said, I’ll know if my perception of Palm Hills is anything close to reality once my sister in law moves in to their new house at the end of 2007 and they’ve had a chance to really experience life there.

just watch out for snakes within the palmhills ground....especially if you have young children something to be concerned about. this was 3 years ago...and im hoping that the situation has changed. Im not talking about one being spotted everyday, but there were definitely a number of times. cant say if they were/are dangerous snakes or not....but it would frighten most people anyhow.....

so just check with the management on that

good luck with the new home :o

Although I didn't see any snakes while I was there, I've heard that they are around the area. Palm Hills backs up to the forest so I'm sure whatever wildlife lives back there makes it's way down to Palm Hills.

Where I live in California we have a lot of rattlesnakes. I've seen 4 or 5 of them in my backyard over the last 15 years...and once captured a big rattler with a pool net onetime. The snakes here tend to shy away from people so you don't see them a lot...but they are here.

I imagine the same is true in Hua Hin.

Anyone ever heard of anyone in the area being bitten?

I've lived in Palm Hills Condo 1 by the Club House for 5 years and YES there are snakes here. A couple months ago a caddie was hit by spit venom from a cobra on the 11th hole. We've had about 4 snakes inside our second story condo over the years and I see them regularly outside. As has been said, they usually are trying to get away as fast as they can. But I do have a 1.6 year old boy and we try to be very careful; but, we did choose to live next to a forest!

All in all, I love living in Palm Hills and love the view and the quiet. I get up before dawn and for that, this is the place to be!

Well good luck, egeefay, with life in your compound! :D

As I said, each to their own, and if replicating what you're used to is what your about, well, so be it - it does kind of raise the question of "why LOS"?

But, and I'm sure this won't apply, don't let the "nimbyism" (that's not meant to be rude) stretch beyond the boundry of the estate - it seems to have become an issue for some of those arriving to seek change in the wider community.

And remember, the security is porous (sic?), its worth as much as can be bought.

But Hua Hin is a great place and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more as you get to know it better, might even make you think twice about the outlay - and remember, if the airport takes off (excuse pun), don't compalin about the noise!!! :o

Well good luck, egeefay, with life in your compound! :D

As I said, each to their own, and if replicating what you're used to is what your about, well, so be it - it does kind of raise the question of "why LOS"?

But, and I'm sure this won't apply, don't let the "nimbyism" (that's not meant to be rude) stretch beyond the boundry of the estate - it seems to have become an issue for some of those arriving to seek change in the wider community.

And remember, the security is porous (sic?), its worth as much as can be bought.

But Hua Hin is a great place and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more as you get to know it better, might even make you think twice about the outlay - and remember, if the airport takes off (excuse pun), don't compalin about the noise!!! :o

I do sense a bit of hautiness in your first statement.

I'm not sure what your reasons are for moving to Thailand but I'm sure they suit you perfectly. Just as you wouldn't want to live my life, I probably wouldn't want to live yours. We all find a niche we are comfortable with.

37 years ago when I was a Peace Corps volunteer I lived in a wooden shack, walked to my job at the Bangkok municipality, did my own laundry and shopped in the local market. Those were fun days but at my age now, my needs and requirements are different. I wouldn't want to live like a Peace Corps volunteer now.

Palm Hills does remind me in a way of the lifestyle I am living now. And that's great. I prefer to live in an organized community with some rules and regulations. It makes for better neigbors and if I'm going to be investing a lot of money to buy property and build a house, I would prefer to buy in a neighborhood where everyone takes care of their property , it's relatively safe, and they keep the place nice and clean. Nothing hurts worse than watching your investment lose value because the neighborhood went downhills after you bought into it.

Besides, I didn't make that decision. My Thai wife did. She's lived in the US for 29 years now and she swore she would never go back to Thailand to live...until she saw Palm Hills.

All that being said, we might be singing a different tune after we've moved there.

We'll see.

Well good luck, egeefay, with life in your compound!

palm hills is about as far from "the compound concept" as you can get .

it's wide open spaces , golf courses , lakes and rolling hills , thousands of rai.

with good housing stock dotted around here and there and a smallish low rise condo development , all well maintained too.

i dont live there , i prefer the beach , but it is the most peaceful and restful on the eye development i have come across anywhere in thailand.

No "hautiness" intended - just a jest referring to the earlier posts.

I don't live in LOS yet, but will do sooner rather than later with my wife (Thai).

Its being part of the community that I'm looking forward to, not cutting myself off, but it seems you have already done that and as has been said, each to their own - so good luck with your plans.

Edited by Ollie

I don't live in LOS yet, but will do sooner rather than later with my wife (Thai).

Its being part of the community that I'm looking forward to, not cutting myself off, but it seems you have already done that and as has been said, each to their own - so good luck with your plans.

There are some "compounds" that are almost exclusively farang. Palm Hills , though, has a good mixture of Thai and Farang folks living there so you never feel "cut off" from the community. It's not a farang enclave.

If you make it to Hua Hin you should drop by and take a look.

These past few years there's been more construction going on there than ever before so it's changing all the time

There are some "compounds" that are almost exclusively farang. Palm Hills , though, has a good mixture of Thai and Farang folks living there so you never feel "cut off" from the community. It's not a farang enclave.

If you make it to Hua Hin you should drop by and take a look.

These past few years there's been more construction going on there than ever before so it's changing all the time

I generally make it to Hua Hin about twice a year on average, so I do have a look! :D

I guess we're just looking for different things - you'll be mixing with wealthy Thai's, whereas I, well, lets just say not so rich!! :o

• 2 months later...
We are thinking of buying some land to build in the Hua Hin area and are looking at a couple of golf residential communities.

Palm Hills is one of them...conveniently located hear downtown. The other is Springfield...further away but less expensive

Both communities are largely undeveloped (a lot of lots sold but not that many houses built)

I'm hoping I can get any feedback or reviews from people who may be living there or who know of someone living there.

Thanks

I also searching for a place to retire in the same general area as you do. However, I am still living in Seattle until next year. In the past few months, I have learned some helpful information from your post and reply, thanks. I've heard about "the Boat House" which is a beachfront housing and condo project near the Petchkasem's tunnel. Equeefay, have you checking this one out and what is your opinion?

I've heard about "the Boat House" which is a beachfront housing and condo project near the Petchkasem's tunnel. Equeefay, have you checking this one out and what is your opinion?

We stopped by the Boat House on our last visit to Hua Hin and took a look at their 3 story model homes.

We were not impressed. They made it 3 stories because the footprint of the house is tiny. The bedroom on the top floor was just that...a small bedroom with a balcony and hot tub outside..just enough room for a bed and not much else. . And the price is not cheap.

I'll email you some photos if I can find them

Ernie

I've heard about "the Boat House" which is a beachfront housing and condo project near the Petchkasem's tunnel. Equeefay, have you checking this one out and what is your opinion?

We stopped by the Boat House on our last visit to Hua Hin and took a look at their 3 story model homes.

We were not impressed. They made it 3 stories because the footprint of the house is tiny. The bedroom on the top floor was just that...a small bedroom with a balcony and hot tub outside..just enough room for a bed and not much else. . And the price is not cheap.

I'll email you some photos if I can find them

Ernie

Thanks, Ernie. Did you see any 2-3 bedroom unit of the condo? What do you think about the setting of the whole project?

Thanks, Ernie. Did you see any 2-3 bedroom unit of the condo? What do you think about the setting of the whole project?

No. We would have looked further if we were impressed but since we weren't we just said thanks and left. All we saw was the model condo. In fact, it could have been a two bedroom affair with one of the bedrooms decked out like a living room. I can't recall

Boathouse felt rather cramped and all the houses were stacked up against each other on tiny lots.

For the same money I prefer Palm Hills. There, You can design a more spaciou house on a 600 sq wah plot with plenty of room between you and your neighbors. You aren't near the ocean like Boathouse but if I need water I can always put in a pool (besides only a few houses are actually near the water. The rest are way back aways from the ocean edge. The oceanside units are very expensive and already taken)

If you are interested in finding out more about living in Palm Hills check out the residents new forum.

You can find out what people like and dislike about living there.

Can't give you a link on this forum but to find the forum just Google "Palm Hills residents" and you'll find the link.

Edited by egeefay

If you are interested in finding out more about living in Palm Hills check out the residents new forum.

You can find out what people like and dislike about living there.

Can't give you a link on this forum but to find the forum just Google "Palm Hills residents" and you'll find the link.

In fact, I've already interested to be a member of the Palmhills golf course. Because, I personally think, (without any trial yet,) the Palmhills is more likely to get some sea breeze more than the Springfield golf course. I'll contact the Palmhills' management to take a look at their condo on my next trip, then comparing with other beach front condo nearby. Well, I'd like to thank you for your times, friendliness and helpful information. What's a good roll model of the Thai Visa member? Cheers.