Ecuador Could Decide On Assenge'S Asylum Request On Thursday

News_Editor

Thanks for the link, Midas, it was quite informative.

My only interest is in his asylum claim, as I once did Refugee Status Determination for the UNHCR--actually, I was on a committee that did the determinations.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My only interest is in his asylum claim, as I once did Refugee Status Determination for the UNHCR--actually, I was on a committee that did the determinations.

aha ! so what do you think of his defence team pursuing this course of action?

I'm not saying they will of course. I bet right now they have multiple scenarios

You see what I think is that Sweden has really damaged its case by refusing

the offer from Ecuador. Not so much the refusal but keeping totally quiet

and not giving one excuse such refusal. In fact the Ecuadorian Foreign Minister

has said this. He says now Ecuador is more determined than ever

that assange not be sent to Sweden just because of the way they responded.

Edited by midas

the offer from Ecuador.

That is ridiculous. Any country would refuse such an offer. He violated bail on charges stemming from a sex crime and is a wanted criminal. He can't make demands about when and where he faces officers of the Swedish court no matter what conspiracy theories his lawyers come up with..

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm not saying they will of course. I bet right now they have multiple scenarios

I don't think that seeking asylum under the UN guidelines will work, but if I were his legal team, I would give it a try.

The argument about the voracity of the Swedish claim would best be handled by the EU Human Rights commission or some similar body. The basic issue that a lot of people are arguing is whether or not what happened in Sweden amounts to rape and whether or not the system of 'questioning' people and investigation vs. filing charges, is a fair system. Secondly, if it is viewed to not be in line with European legal standards, then are countries compelled to honor an arrest warrant? I am speculating on this without a thorough knowledge of EU legal policies between countries. At any rate, his best argument might be in this scenario.

His problem with the Refugee claim (UN standards) is that he basically applied after have judicial reviews that didn't go his way. Both the UK and Sweden have legal systems that generally meet UN standards as fair. He has to meet both an objective and subjective fear of persecution. Objectively, he probably doesn't meet this standard. Subjectively, his fear is of being sent to the US where he thinks he could face execution. He would have to convince those in charge that this is a real possibility, that is going to be hard unless he can show that Sweden has a history of doing this sort of thing or that they are known to deny someone a legal right before extraditing them.

Edited by Scott

I went to try the wikileaks site, but nothing came up. Blank page. Not even a warning posted. Then found a 'mirror' site, and it was interesting to see the list of many topics. Below, as an example, is one titled; 'Chinese government state TV censorship keywords list, 13 May 2009':

Arms

Brothers

Brothers in Arms

BrothersinArms

CCTV

cctv

CCTV-5

cctv-5

chao

FALUN

falun

Falun

Falun Gong

FalunGong

Free Tibet

FreeTibet

fuc_k

Gong

http

IP

jiangzemin

JIANZEMIN

LIHONGZH

LIHONGZHI

lihongzhi

LIPENG

ni how ma (mandarin for; 'hi, how are you?)

nihowma

Power to the Falun Gong

PowertotheFalunGong

Resistance

SB

sb

shit

sky

the Underground Resistance

theUndergroundResistance

Tibet

TIBET

tibet

TMD

tmd

Underground

XJG351

Maidu continues: interesting, the sort of things Wikileaks wanted to expose. Personally, I still oppose what the Swede has done, because I think it endangers some people who don't deserve to be endangered.

Edited by maidu

I don't think that seeking asylum under the UN guidelines will work, but if I were his legal team, I would give it a try.

The argument about the voracity of the Swedish claim would best be handled by the EU Human Rights commission or some similar body. The basic issue that a lot of people are arguing is whether or not what happened in Sweden amounts to rape and whether or not the system of 'questioning' people and investigation vs. filing charges, is a fair system. Secondly, if it is viewed to not be in line with European legal standards, then are countries compelled to honor an arrest warrant? I am speculating on this without a thorough knowledge of EU legal policies between countries. At any rate, his best argument might be in this scenario.

His problem with the Refugee claim (UN standards) is that he basically applied after have judicial reviews that didn't go his way. Both the UK and Sweden have legal systems that generally meet UN standards as fair. He has to meet both an objective and subjective fear of persecution. Objectively, he probably doesn't meet this standard. Subjectively, his fear is of being sent to the US where he thinks he could face execution. He would have to convince those in charge that this is a real possibility, that is going to be hard unless he can show that Sweden has a history of doing this sort of thing or that they are known to deny someone a legal right before extraditing them.

His problem with the Refugee claim (UN standards) is that he basically applied after have judicial reviews that didn't go his way. Both the UK and Sweden have legal systems

I would agree with you regarding the UK legal system but there is a perception that Sweden's

system is based on the premise of guilty until proven innocent and meanwhile you are held in

extremely tough conditions by normal standards. Also from the moment I first read about them

I have always been very uncomfortable about these lay judges that Sweden has that can be

appointed purely along political lines.

Edited by midas

I went to try the wikileaks site, but nothing came up. Blank page. Not even a warning posted. Then found a 'mirror' site, and it was interesting to see the list of many topics. Below, as an example, is one titled; 'Chinese government state TV censorship keywords list, 13 May 2009':

Arms

Brothers

Brothers in Arms

BrothersinArms

CCTV

cctv

CCTV-5

cctv-5

chao

FALUN

falun

Falun

Falun Gong

FalunGong

Free Tibet

FreeTibet

fuc_k

Gong

http

IP

jiangzemin

JIANZEMIN

LIHONGZH

LIHONGZHI

lihongzhi

LIPENG

ni how ma (mandarin for; 'hi, how are you?)

nihowma

Power to the Falun Gong

PowertotheFalunGong

Resistance

SB

sb

shit

sky

the Underground Resistance

theUndergroundResistance

Tibet

TIBET

tibet

TMD

tmd

Underground

XJG351

Maidu continues: interesting, the sort of things Wikileaks wanted to expose. Personally, I still oppose what the Swede has done, because I think it endangers some people who don't deserve to be endangered.

Which Swede are you referring to? Yes I think the behaviour of the Swedish Prime Minister has been very detrimental

Edited by midas

I would agree with you regarding the UK legal system but there is a perception that Sweden's

system is based on the premise of guilty until proven innocent and meanwhile you are held in

extremely tough conditions by normal standards. Also from the moment I first read about them

I have always been very uncomfortable about these lay judges that Sweden has that can be

Knowing now what you deem to be the laws in Sweden, do you not think Assange probably should have simply kept his pants on when he originally went to Sweden?

The mess he is in is because of his actions and nobody else.

All of this would have been unnecessary if he (Assange) had simply maintained proper decorum instead of acting as he did.

Edited by chuckd
  • Like 1

I don't think idle speculation about whether Assange should or shouldn't have kept his pants on is going to keep this thread on-topic. It seems that there was something else he should have kept on in addition to his pants.

Knowing now what you deem to be the laws in Sweden, do you not think Assange probably should have simply kept his pants on when he originally went to Sweden?

All of this would have been unnecessary if he (Assange) had simply maintained proper decorum instead of acting as he did.

you are clearly uninformed or your memory is failing you because we have covered this much earlier in the first thread.

Both women admitted they initiated the sex and that it was completely with their consent.

• Like 1

you are clearly uninformed or your memory is failing you because we have covered this much earlier in the first thread.

Both women admitted they initiated the sex and that it was completely with their consent.

EVERYTHING has already been covered in this thread!

I guess the next ploy of the defense will be to try and claim Assange was raped. :cheesy:

• Like 1

I wonder what Assange's real goal is? It's common knowledge the CIA has been very active in South America for at least 40 years and getting to Assange in Ecuador without leaving evidence would be much easier than anyplace in the EU. Of course, that's assuming it is the CIA he is actually worried about and not Swedish prosecutors.

Edited by koheesti
  • Like 1