Guacomole Recipe

T_Dog

Avocados have hit the local markets in a big way up here in the Chiang Mai area and I've been thinking of Mexican food since the wife made me an avocado, onion, and tuna sandwich for lunch. That got us talking about guacamole. Quick search on the internet and she whipped up some great stuff. Here goes an easy recipe for those buying avocado in the markets right now.

-2 ripe avocados.... Cut in half, take out the seed and peel. Dice.

-dice a 1/2 cup of red onion.

-2 tablespoons of Cilantro.

- 1 red pepper, diced

-1 tablespoon of lime juice.

-1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.

-Add a dash of black pepper

Throw it all into a food processor and blend until it's guacamole. Put in a bowl with plastic touching the sauce and cool in the refrigerator for an hour or so.

Only problem I have right now is that it is a 30 minute drive to the nearest store with corn chips. Arggh.

• Like 1

2 minute guacamole: nice ripe avocados and a jar of salsa that you like (the chunkier the better) and then simply mash up together in a reasonable proportion (a potato masher is nice) then dress with some lime juice and bobs yer uncle...adjust seasoning when required...

I useta experiment all the time and then I realised that my favorite bottled salsa had all the necessary ingedients and I never looked back...

2 minute guacamole: nice ripe avocados and a jar of salsa that you like (the chunkier the better) and then simply mash up together in a reasonable proportion (a potato masher is nice) then dress with some lime juice and bobs yer uncle...adjust seasoning when required...

I useta experiment all the time and then I realised that my favorite bottled salsa had all the necessary ingedients and I never looked back...

Ha, that brings back some memories. I guess mine was 1 minute guacamole -- crushed avocados and tapatio sauce.

When I really make it though I usually throw in a little mayo, not needed but its good. I agree with the garlic and tomatoe too, and cilantro is a must, along with real lime juice and pepper. A friend used to have a really good recipe, I think his secret was chive style green onions (prevalent here) -- taste really good in there.

I also highly recommend leaving the pit in the bowl.

Hey, all great ideas! We just had it on top of a Thai omelet and my wife is hooked on guacamole! Guacamole with rice is very, very good!

Need to clarify the red pepper in the recipe should be a hot chile variety to give it some heat.

Still missing the corn chips. And Tequila.... This avocado thing today seems a slippery slope....

Hey, all great ideas! We just had it on top of a Thai omelet and my wife is hooked on guacamole! Guacamole with rice is very, very good!

Need to clarify the red pepper in the recipe should be a hot chile variety to give it some heat.

Still missing the corn chips. And Tequila.... This avocado thing today seems a slippery slope....

guacamole is a slippery slope? try spending a few nights on acid trying to replicate the sauce from yer favorite bbq place and then yer sliding and out of control...'tutsi, will yew get to bed?...'...'I got it! I got it! and it just needs some refinement...' and then no sleep fer a month...

guacamole is a slippery slope? try spending a few nights on acid trying to replicate the sauce from yer favorite bbq place and then yer sliding and out of control...'tutsi, will yew get to bed?...'...'I got it! I got it! and it just needs some refinement...' and then no sleep fer a month...

I just knew it... whistling.gif it is Acid!

• Like 1

Any suggestions on how to choose local avocados in Thailand? The bad ones are almost tasteless and the good ones are OK, but I have no idea which are which until it is too late.

Well, there are two varieties we see being sold. One is bland and awful, the other is very good. I'll try to get a photo of the ones we are buying. I have no idea how to select a good one as every one I grab my wife puts back in the pile.
  • Like 1

Any suggestions on how to choose local avocados in Thailand? The bad ones are almost tasteless and the good ones are OK, but I have no idea which are which until it is too late.

It's a bit hit and miss, I find the more spherical they are the less taste. Hope this is of some use to you because that is all I have got, sorry.

Even with the bad ones though, using the other quality ingredients mentioned here really brings the taste back. Especially good limes, garlic and cilantro i'd say. Not perfect, but it's something.

I used to just eat avocados with a little salt -- can't really do that here :( And I know nothing can replace good tortilla chips, but ritz type crackers aren't too bad.

• Like 1

Even with the bad ones though, using the other quality ingredients mentioned here really brings the taste back. Especially good limes, garlic and cilantro i'd say. Not perfect, but it's something.

I used to just eat avocados with a little salt -- can't really do that here sad.png And I know nothing can replace good tortilla chips, but ritz type crackers aren't too bad.

Spot on, you can lift guacamole but that is it I have found. Seen imports in Tesco, Lamai, Koh Samui from time to time but even with the high cost they are sold in no time. Word gets around and it's bye bye for another month.

I've found that most local avocados in Thailand are worthless and that the expensive imported variety are required for anything worthwhile...

and this is weird as not far away in Vietnam there are local avocados in abundance even in small provincial towns...and I would select and present an avocado to my cleaning lady at the accommodation in VN and then she would slice and dress it and we would partake together in companionable silence...

too much to ask for in Thailand...

I've found that most local avocados in Thailand are worthless and that the expensive imported variety are required for anything worthwhile...

There are decent local ones, but maybe they never make it out of Northern Thailand. Thanks to T_Dog and others. Photos should help.

There are decent local ones, but maybe they never make it out of Northern Thailand. Thanks to T_Dog and others. Photos should help.

Here you go. The good ones normally seem to have these spots on them, maybe from being more ripe than the others.

post-498-0-40527900-1340337755_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just came back from a trip to the Philippines with 4 kg of their cheap avocados in my bag. Had guacamole last night with my tacos, but I had to get some chips at Villa as i had so much guac.

I also put diced tomatoes in mine, and I add cumin and cayenne as well. I would never put mine in a blender, though. That makes it more like the processed guacamole dip you can buy prepackaged in the stores. I only use a fork to mash them together. I start with a bit of olive oil, which is not to many recipes, but I find it adds a nice flavor and helps bind the ingredients.

I put my avocados in the fridge until the day before I need them. Then I take out what I want and let them ripen. If I leave them all out, then in a day or three, all I have is that grayish mess of old avocado meat.

I got 3 large avos for 30 baht from the Muang Mai market in Chiang Mai that look like the ones in T_Dog's photos (except I picked the black ones as they were ripe). There are lots of them in the market where they mostly sell fruit.and they are quite decent for a salad with dressing or for making guacamole - not the best, but decent for Thailand.

I used to get some rather nice avos in Chiamngmai... VERY large, but surprisingly quite flavorful. Yes, I've had other types that were watery... but not those I got in CM. My best guess is the ones I was getting in CM were of the "Bacon" variety.

I got 3 large avos for 30 baht from the Muang Mai market in Chiang Mai that look like the ones in T_Dog's photos (except I picked the black ones as they were ripe). There are lots of them in the market where they mostly sell fruit.and they are quite decent for a salad with dressing or for making guacamole - not the best, but decent for Thailand.

The price should be coming down as the harvest is coming in strong now. Bought 5 up here yesterday for 20 baht and there must have been six vendors at the appointment market selling them.

#5 'cilantro is a must'

Indeed.

While working in Cyprus I fell in love with cilantro as 'the' key to tasteful salads or Mediterranean foods.

cilantro is good as a garnish but not as a basic ingredient...it doesn't mix well and the flavor will overwhelm other salad ingredients...but it sure does taste good on it's own when you got a raging hangover...eat it by the handful...

the SE Asian variety doesn't appear to be as strong as in California...just like the garlic...

I tried this with some (tasteless) avocados and it made quite acceptable guacamole without a lot of work. They were not any good without the salsa, but it improved them a lot. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

I tried this with some (tasteless) avocados and it made quite acceptable guacamole without a lot of work. They were not any good without the salsa, but it improved them a lot. thumbsup.gif

yeah...I did this a lot in Hanoi where there were plenty of tasty avocados down the Hang Bey market and a western food shop that had a nice selection of salsas...just gotta work with the local ingredients...

we are the western culinary pioneers! and you can make anything that you want from local ingredients if you just use yer imagination!

and then the police come to say: 'falang...you shall eat the local cuisine or you shall be punished...' and then: 'get fcuked, asshol_e...I'll make revolution today!...' and then we shall be oppressed no longer!

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yeah...I did this a lot in Hanoi where there were plenty of tasty avocados down the Hang Bey market and a western food shop that had a nice selection of salsas...just gotta work with the local ingredients...

we are the western culinary pioneers! and you can make anything that you want from local ingredients if you just use yer imagination!

and then the police come to say: 'falang...you shall eat the local cuisine or you shall be punished...' and then: 'get fcuked, asshol_e...I'll make revolution today!...' and then we shall be oppressed no longer!

Forgive me here tutsi but can't you just mash up some tomatoes and garlic and add a twist of lime?

Nearly as quick as the salsa and much fresher taste I reckon.....but I admit...I'm no expert.

10 km or so up the Pai road (HWY 1095) there are several stalls selling Avocado. Normally not so good, but we gave it another try this year and hit the mother lode with some great tasting fruit. We had an alignment of the stars with corn chips, guacamole, tequila and triplesec all coming together for a nice way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.

post-498-0-57024200-1341738448_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-36101500-1341738523_thumb.jpg