Iphone Service Plans .. Which One Is Best?

Orangutan

Hello,

I am planning on buying an iPhone 4S from the Apple Store Thailand. Once the iPhone arrives to me here in Bangkok, what options do I have for service. Can I use my old sim (TOT) card that I have had for nine years, do I just pop it in, and start calling?

Any help/information is appreciated.

Thanks,

-O

No, you can't just pop your old sim in. The iPhone takes a micro-sim. You have the option of using a blade and cutting your sim to the appropriate size, or exchanging your old sim for a micro-sim. The directions for cutting a normal sim to micro size are on various youtube videos and websites.

The iPhone is special. It's always connected to the internet unless you tell it otherwise. You will need a data plan that can support this. Personally, I use the 839 baht option from AIS. It includes 500 minutes of talk time to any network, 300 SMS messages, 50 MMS messages, and unlimited internet. 3G is capped at 3 gigabites. After that, you are stuck with Edge until the following billing cycle.

I bought my iPhone 4s last weekend at Siam Paragon. Previously, I had an iPhone 3gs with the same package. Unfortunately, the phone was sacrificed to the taxi gods. I am finding out very quickly that this package may be too much for my needs. Features like iMessage (free SMS/MMS) to other iOS5 users and Viber (free calls worldwide) mean that my usage is far less than it used to be.

Choose wisely! I selected AIS because I have always had the best coverage nationwide with them. Plans are about the same. D-Tac seems to be a bit light on their package. True has horrible customer service. I've never had a problem with AIS.

Good Luck! By the way, the phone is amazing.

smileplur many thanks for the information, it is just what I needed to know.

-O

Good luck with the phone. It is leaps and bounds above any other phone I have ever used. After a week playing with it, I am still amazed by what it can do! It is really nothing short of amazing. For the record, I hate Mac/Apple computers. I am a dedicated PC fan, but this phone is in a league all by itself. Samsung Galaxy S III cannot even compare.