What'S The Best Way To Kill Ants Without Harming Pets (Cats)

phuturatica

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is currently being invaded by millions of red ants and is being bitten left, right and centre. I told her about ARS and all the other recommendations but are these safe if she has 2 little kittens?

If not, what's the way to get rid of the little bugger without harming the cats?! Any ideas?

I had ants for months.

I think you have to accept them, they have been there way before us and are not to move;

My landlord tried to get rid of them before I arrived with pesticides, they came back.

I kinda controlled them by using citronella essential oil as a barrier not to be crossed, I use it to clean surfaces, appliances, floor...

then I redirected them gradually out, by leaving food further everyday.

Every now and them I put a bit of leftover for them in the garden, it works. They come back every now and then when I forget. But more or less under control

Use ARS powder where the kittens cannot reach. Ants will be attracted to any food. They come through any holes in the building. Just sprinkle the powder where you see thare are entering. This will take some time because they will look for other enterances.

Come on you guys... I want serious answers! rolleyes.gif

Have to say I have the same problem with red ants. Not worried about cats etc but the big bug sapper and lights catch bugs and the ants come to eat them. There is a type of white power pencil which they will not cross, but they are not that stupid and come over the walls or on the roof. Live in the jungle and get frogs, scorpions, millipedes, snakes and god knows what else, but the ants seem to get on my coffee, beer glass and bit my lip daily. Sorry have no answer. Jim

i can't find it now, but I thought someone posted on here a while back about something in a yellow pot that the ants carried back to their nest and it wiped their nest out. I could never find the stuff when I went looking in Big C though. Anyone remember what it is?

Mix some boric acid and sugar water together. Search the web to find the right amounts. You want it to be weak enough to not kill the ants immediately, but gives them time to bring the food back to their nest.

Soak cotton balls in the solution.

Place the cotton balls in a jar with a lid.

Punch holes in the lid with a nail and put the lid on the jar.

Place the jar in the path that ants are using.

The ants can get in, but pets cannot. Be sure not to get the solution on the outside of the jar, you don't want the pets to lick it.

• Like 1

i can't find it now, but I thought someone posted on here a while back about something in a yellow pot that the ants carried back to their nest and it wiped their nest out. I could never find the stuff when I went looking in Big C though. Anyone remember what it is?

Yes I posted about the ARC yellow pellets but I have since found that the ARC white powder is more effective

big c has a powder, small bottle, 15 thb, mostly not to read except for "ERA POWDER plus"...

it kills those who pass it, the others shut up very quickly.

i throw it at the wall above the door (the alternate entry point, when powder is on the floor), and brush it off after a few days...

its effect lasts very long...

but possibly not suitable for kittens..

Edited by dingdang

Yes, it"s called urine and it drowns the little fcukers. Can buy it a bottle , called Archa or I can send you some.

I had a serious problem in my old condo, I simply got a deoderant bottle and a lighter, then flamethrower action commenced! Burnt the little f%}%^s.

Then boiling hot water down the whole where they were coming from.

Then using a chalk which you can outline all areas of the room, prevents them from coming back.

Its work, starts off fun then becomes a chore.

• Like 1

i have always found ars the most affective, because they take it back to the nest and kills the lot, but you need to place the stuff in the best spot on the ant track as close as possible to where you think the nest maybe, you also need to keep it dry and maybe place some sort of pot over it to stop the cats.

i find the ants take it away with in 5 hours but i guess it depends how far the nest is away,

once they are gone wash the tracks and walls etc with dettol water.

also put some talc on the floors especially around your bed where getting bitten is quite common.

good luck

forgot to mention if the ants are quite small and the granules seem large it's ok to crush some of granules,

there is also a green plastic box but i find better not to use that and can make soem piles of granules in different places,

need to see where the ants are coming from to see whats best,

if you have a big problem maybe 1 packet isn't enough ? and can use several products ?

The era powder mentioned before together with a couple of sugar cubes. Place sugar cubes in the middle, pour a ring around them, make a couple of paths for the ants to wonder through and cover with something heavy so only ants can get through. After a couple of days clean up as you will have some real carnage there.

Don't have time to read other post so if this is redundant the sorry...

I leave traps and use hot water.

rolleyes.gifermm.gif setting traps? thumbsup.gif yep! I set traps to draw those little shits out and poor hot water on them. rolleyes.gifermm.gif your and idiot. rolleyes.gif Yeah, maybe, but my floors an counters seem to be cleaner lately....clap2.gif

or sugar coat those lethal eggs that they take back to nest...or make lethal eggs because they love eggs and chicken.

I had a serious problem in my old condo, I simply got a deoderant bottle and a lighter, then flamethrower action commenced! Burnt the little f%}%^s.

Then boiling hot water down the whole where they were coming from.

Then using a chalk which you can outline all areas of the room, prevents them from coming back.

Its work, starts off fun then becomes a chore.

Your a true solider. <deleted>cheesy.gifcheesy.gif a torchcheesy.gifcheesy.gif and I thought I was childish at fighting those huge troops of little guys.....you know.... like using the hot water for the ones coming and going to the trash..then just to confuse the shit out of them I put boiling hot water around the trash can. clap2.gifclap2.gif But a torch...with my luck I my wife would throw away something explosive and POOF! i be toastedw00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There's a tick & Flea Powder for cats and dogs. The One I use is called PINK but there must be others. should be easily available at your Pet store.

It kills ants very effectively and they don't come back if there's still powder around. I don't have cats or Dogs but it suspect it shouldn't harm them if used infrequently.

Bearing, tick and flea dog powder, Big C about 80bht, we tryed chalk,ant traps,with no avail,the g/f said try the dog powder,it works a treat,i covered all but one hole on the cap and use it as a puffer,we use it every where in and outside the house,we have NO ants

good luck.