Wp Expired Any Penalty?

Hi,

I had a WP for 2 years (2nd year is extension) but it was expired 3 months ago and I could not renew it as I had to be outside of Thailand on business therefore I couldn't even hand it over to Labour office. So am I gonna pay any penalty? Because I could not find any clear information regarding my situation on the back side of my work permit. There is only an article (4th) about In case which is :

"An alien resigns from the work which is specified in the permit he shall return the permit to the Registrar of the province where the work is located within 7 days from the date of his resignation. Any violation thereof shall be liable to fine not exceeding one thousand Baht."

I haven't resigned from my work in Thailand but didn't hand over my wp, am I "liable to fine or any other penalty" ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments and I'm terribly sorry if this question has been asked before, I just could not find it.

OK...

If I understand this...your WP expired 3 months ago...your on extension of stay for employment, and you are still working ?

The would suggest you are working in Thailand illegally and may have a bigger problem than a fine and in fact you may be on an overstay..

The section of rules you refer to is taking about someone who has finished work, and dont beleive you even have to hand over your WP these day..

Page 31 in WP

Before a permit expires and the permit holder wishes to continue working, he shall apply for renewal of the permit to the registrar prior to it's expiration.

Any violation thereof shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to a fine not exceeding five thousand baht or both.

OK...

If I understand this...your WP expired 3 months ago...your on extension of stay for employment, and you are still working ?

The would suggest you are working in Thailand illegally and may have a bigger problem than a fine and in fact you may be on an overstay..

The section of rules you refer to is taking about someone who has finished work, and dont beleive you even have to hand over your WP these day..

Oh, I think I did not mention that I am not in Thailand at the moment and have not been there for 3 months...So I'm not working "illegally" in Thailand. I will just prepare a new non B and apply for a new WP.

Page 31 in WP

Before a permit expires and the permit holder wishes to continue working, he shall apply for renewal of the permit to the registrar prior to it's expiration.

Any violation thereof shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to a fine not exceeding five thousand baht or both.

No, I don't think that is about me. It is about preventing illegal working after someone's wp expires.

Page 31 in WP

No, I don't think that is about me. It is about preventing illegal working after someone's wp expires.

"I haven't resigned from my work in Thailand but didn't hand over my wp, am I "liable to fine or any other penalty" ?"

Have you resigned or not, if not, you are still working.

Edited by PoorSucker

OK...

Oh, I think I did not mention that I am not in Thailand at the moment and have not been there for 3 months...So I'm not working "illegally" in Thailand. I will just prepare a new non B and apply for a new WP.

are you receiving any money from the Thai Company - if so you are working and then illegally.

If not working then you should have cancelled your WP.

OK...

are you receiving any money from the Thai Company - if so you are working and then illegally.

If not working then you should have cancelled your WP.

Maybe not..

If coming back to Thailand certainly needs new WP/visa...

but the OP is working in another country for a Thai company, he would not need a WP, the rules talk about working in Thailand, not working for a Thai company....interesting question

Very true Soutpeel.

A very interesting question - Is the Op being paid for work that he is doing in another country, by his Thai company?

If paying taxes in Thailand on his salary then he requires a valid WP.

Very true Soutpeel.

A very interesting question - Is the Op being paid for work that he is doing in another country, by his Thai company?

If paying taxes in Thailand on his salary then he requires a valid WP.

Even on the tax thing maybe not....the person concerned is not physically working in Thailand...therefore even though being paid in Thailand, this does not infer you need a WP....technically speaking anyone living in Thailand for more than 180 days a year is eliable for tax whether working for not