Ipad 1 - Ais - No 3G - Help!

smileplur

So, I have had my iPad 1 for a while now. I received it as a gift. I never bothered to put a SIM in it because I mainly used it at home. As I started using it more, I found that it is extremely helpful for work. So, I always take it with me to work where there is no wifi. I don't need access to the internet at work, but it is nice to have. There aren't enough computers for everyone and the internet is often out.

I recently purchased an iPhone 4s from AIS. I opted for their 839 baht package giving me unlimited internet (3G capped obviously), 500 minutes of talk time, and 300 SMS. I am finding that this package might exceed my usage because of awesome things like iMessage and Viber.

While buying my new phone, I asked about their multi-sim packages to add one for my iPad. I wasn't thinking about it when we set out for Siam Paragon, so I didn't take my iPad with me. For an additional 300 baht per month, I was given a second micro-sim for my iPad that is restricted to data (no phone calls, etc. from what I am told, but I haven't tried).

I got home and popped it in expecting to connect to 3G. I found that I get the E for Edge in the upper left corner of my screen. I chalked it up to the fact that I was at home and went back to wifi. Then, taking it to work, I still only get Edge. My package stipulates up to 1 GB of 3G and Edge thereafter.

I have looked at the options for cellular data where you can enable 3G on the iPhone, but this setting doesn't exist on my iPad. I searched around a bit and found that some special things need to be done to 'activate' 3G when using a True sim. I am wondering if the same thing applies with AIS. Does anyone know how I can 'activate' my 3G on my second SIM in my iPad? Surely, my iPad supports 3G. It had 3G capability in America when I used it there.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

post-44509-0-88604800-1340433314_thumb.p

I think AIS 3G operates on 900MHz. Does your IPAD 1 have 3G/UMTS/HSDPA 900Mhz capability?

I googled a few sites and they said the IPAD 1 3G uses 850MHz, 1900Mhz, and 2100MHz.. True and DTAC use 850MHz.

IPAD 1 Specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP580

Right, I am running out of time. I'm not that tech savvy, but I am going to look into this in the morning.

I think Khun Pib is right. AIS is on 900MHz but iPad 1 doesn't support that frequency.

iPad 1 Wi-Fi + 3G model

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Data only2

Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

So, you are struck in EDGE. You can always switch to True or DTac.

So, I should cancel my multi-sim arrangement with AIS. I always have my iPhone 4s with me, so I can use it to connect to the internet with my iPad. I just don't want to drain the battery. Sigh ... I think AIS has the best coverage.

So, I should cancel my multi-sim arrangement with AIS. I always have my iPhone 4s with me, so I can use it to connect to the internet with my iPad. I just don't want to drain the battery. Sigh ... I think AIS has the best coverage.

I looked at doing the same but in the end i went for Ipad with True 3G and phone with AIS 3G its about 1,600 for both whereas it was about 1,050 multi sim with AIS but i was told its a waste of time so /////