Falang Arrested

dazk

my wife heard that 2 or 3 falang where arrested by the tourist police for working in jomtien bars a couple of nights ago, any truth in this and do the tourist police have these powers.

No, they don't. Actual police or immigration police: sure.

Yes they do......Tourist Police are a division of the Royal Thai Police and have the same powers as any other Police Officer. The only difference is that any cases they deal with must be forwarded to a local Police Station for processing.

But.. No guns, no police license plates on their vehicles, etc. I think they have pretty much the same powers as ordinary citizens, which would include restraining a person until the real police shows up to sort it out?

Wrong again. They have guns. Whether they have bullets in them is another thing altogether.

But.. No guns, no police license plates on their vehicles, etc. I think they have pretty much the same powers as ordinary citizens, which would include restraining a person until the real police shows up to sort it out?

Wrong........

post-62606-0-96999900-1340447900_thumb.j

Yes they do......Tourist Police are a division of the Royal Thai Police and have the same powers as any other Police Officer. The only difference is that any cases they deal with must be forwarded to a local Police Station for processing.

So they have a work permit that allows them to do this?

I think the 'tourist police volunteers' (aka Walking St. SS) are different from the Royal Thai Police Volunteers that you find in the local cop shop.

Edited by PattayaParent

Wrong........

post-62606-0-96999900-1340447900_thumb.j

I meant license plates. The red police plates versus regular black on white license plates. But never mind, if they are real cops then that's cool.

So they have a work permit that allows them to do this?

I think the 'tourist police volunteers' (aka Walking St. SS) are different from the Royal Thai Police Volunteers that you find in the local cop shop.

The Thai Tourist police have rights of arrest but foreigners who assist them can act only under their orders as do other separate foreign volunteers who act only under an order of a regular policeman. As mentioned, all cases are eventually processed at police stations. Thai volunteers of any group have wider powers obviously than any foreign volunteer, are trained by their respective police department and receive compensation. Official foreign volunteers with valid ID's of any police branch do not, as also mentioned, require work permits under current agreements with Cholburi Police Commissioner and Immigration.

Edited by petercool