6Pm Or Midnight?

ForumUsername

I've heard conflicting reports about what places are open tonight and what times they will be selling alcohol.

I spoke to the owner of Infinity (or someone who works there) on the phone and they said it's open, but they couldn't understand my time question.

Some people tell me that from 6pm bars can sell drinks, and others are saying midnight. I'm wanting to go to Tawandeng / Infinity and getting a table with friends. If it's midnight, does that mean you can bring your own bottle and pay an opening fee before that time?

Happy to wait until midnight if necessary, just can't seem to get an answer...

Infinity might be ok, as it's in a hotel. This may get around the alcohol law. Stupid law really, as surely everyone has voted by now! Maybe they're worried that all the sloshies on Loei Kroh will go on a drunken rampage if the result goes against who they voted for!

Infinity might be ok, as it's in a hotel. This may get around the alcohol law. Stupid law really, as surely everyone has voted by now!

Don't forget how elections work at the local level; village/tambon locals are needed with the counting effort. The theory is those folks need to stay sober until after the results are in.

Infinity might be ok, as it's in a hotel. This may get around the alcohol law. Stupid law really, as surely everyone has voted by now! Maybe they're worried that all the sloshies on Loei Kroh will go on a drunken rampage if the result goes against who they voted for!

Infinity a hotel???

Think you are thinking of fabric right?

YoungBrit

You had a few beers Bangkok Blue!?!?!? Infinity isn't in a hotel, Fabrique is mind.

Infinity might be ok, as it's in a hotel. This may get around the alcohol law. Stupid law really, as surely everyone has voted by now!

Don't forget how elections work at the local level; village/tambon locals are needed with the counting effort. The theory is those folks need to stay sober until after the results are in.

Ironically it's in all the villages that you can buy booze. The higher profile places in the city, not.

Just got home, 4am

Zoe opened at 12, closed at 2 but had no music. Went to Chiang Mai Bar / Eve and it was still going at 4, despite the fact that a cop came and inspected them.

Heard Riverside did 12-2 tonight, didn't bother cause I figured it would be crammed with locals hoping to get out this weekend.

Hope this info helps for next election.

BTW I was in Spicy recently and it was actually very nice. They even reduced the beer price for me with 10 baht after I ran out of money. (An already highly reasonable 70 baht down to 60.) Those prices are unbelievably low for an after hours club anywhere in the world.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

BTW I was in Spicy recently and it was actually very nice. They even reduced the beer price for me with 10 baht after I ran out of money. (An already highly reasonable 70 baht down to 60.) Those prices are unbelievably low for an after hours club anywhere in the world.

were you on LSD or what.?

Back to normal now,beer available, tough 2 days.

Out of interest this thread is unique and limited by an event in time. it will never be searched again will it; so does a thread like this become deleted or just drift down the list into the bowels of time

Just got home, 4am

Zoe opened at 12, closed at 2 but had no music. Went to Chiang Mai Bar / Eve and it was still going at 4, despite the fact that a cop came and inspected them.

Heard Riverside did 12-2 tonight, didn't bother cause I figured it would be crammed with locals hoping to get out this weekend.

Where is Chiang Mai Bar/Eve ?

were you on LSD or what.?

I was on Chang I believe. Downstairs was downright civilized, aside from one Farang Idiot, who was politely asked to leave. Upstairs smoking is allowed, with a far bigger crowd. But less breathable air.

Back to normal now,beer available, tough 2 days.

Not for me; the key is to find a place where you still have the freedom to drink and have a good time. I was a Sanuk-Refugee for a couple days. These were provincial elections, so it's just a matter of getting on a bus or plane. It was pretty epic.

Out of interest this thread is unique and limited by an event in time. it will never be searched again will it; so does a thread like this become deleted or just drift down the list into the bowels of time

The latter. Until someone digs it up, then it's often closed.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Drifting into the bowels of time is good and provides unexpected knowledge. Many times I have done a search for a doctor or mechanic etc., and found out purely by chance that the best hamburger in 2007 was at so and so's.

Now how would I ever know that if these threads were deleted?

Just got home, 4am

Where is Chiang Mai Bar/Eve ?

behind some shops after the old Spicy, before the 7-11

Probably just got confused due to the language barrier. Thai time is split into four 6 hour parts per day, so 6 o'clock is actually both 6pm and midnight.

"hok moong yen" = 6pm

"hok tum" = midnight.

Both are 6 (hok).

Edited by cdnmatt

Never heard a Thai use Hok Tum, but rather Tien Khuen.

I don't know, maybe it's an Issan thing, or maybe he was just saying words he thought I'd understand easier. I just remember thinking, "hey, that's way easier to remember than the other one(s). I'll use that!". Chance you're right, and it's not even proper Thai though. I know I've never seen it in any of the books, but then again, I hear them speaking loads of words / phrases I don't see in any books, so who knows.

Edited by cdnmatt

Never heard a Thai use Hok Tum, but rather Tien Khuen.

Me neither. Though it do have the impression that Issan people have some slightly different habits in stating time, though I forgot what that was exactly. (It's been a while since I had an Issan person stay all the way into the morning. smile.png ) I think it was something like referring to 10am in the morning as 4 mong chao, or 4 'something' anyway. In Thai (and Chiang Mai) that would just be 10 mong chao.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think it was something like referring to 10am in the morning as 4 mong chao, or 4 'something' anyway. In Thai (and Chiang Mai) that would just be 10 mong chao.

What? Thai time is all the same, basically. For example:

http://www.thai-language.com/ref/time

But yeah, 10am = "4 moong chaao". Isn't that how it works throughout the country? At least that's how all the Thai language books teach you.

Anyway, upon thinking about it, I think saying "hok tum" is fine. Probably same as saying "midnight" versus "twelve am", type of thing. Nobody in the West actually says "12 am", but he figured there's a better chance of me understanding it, hence why he used it.

Regardless, there's four 6 o'clocks in the Thai day (6am, noon, 6pm, midnight), so that's probably why the OP was confused as to whether it was 6pm or midnight.

Edited by cdnmatt

I think it was something like referring to 10am in the morning as 4 mong chao, or 4 'something' anyway. In Thai (and Chiang Mai) that would just be 10 mong chao.

What? Thai time is all the same, basically. For example:

http://www.thai-language.com/ref/time

But yeah, 10am = "4 moong chaao". Isn't that how it works throughout the country? At least that's how all the Thai language books teach you.

Eh, not the very link you quoted right there. wink.png I *do* sometimes hear 4 (see) mong chao for 10am, but it seems a bit more archaic. (Or village / Issan use).

The link you just quoted has:

post-64232-0-96268600-1340594402_thumb.p

(And also thiang khuen for midnight. That's a lot more common than hok thum. Though it does probably exist.)

If you look at really old language books then they do have 4 mong chao for 10am. For example: http://www.lyndonhil...ai/L05A1.html (This is from a book from the 1950's or thereabouts. (But a very good one, I do recommend that book; it's free and teaches Thai writing very well. Just all the example texts are prehistoric. ;) )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ohhh, so you're right. Then don't the popular Benjawan Poomsan Becker series of books teach "4 moong chaao"? And if not, where did I learn to speak that time?

And more importantly, is everyone telling me "see moong chaao" because that's how they speak, or because they're just being polite & respectful, and they know I'll understand it? Wouldn't be the first time they made up words / phrases on the go for me. It's really nice of them and all to help me communicate, but not exactly helping me learn Thai.

I think it's how they speak. I don't hear it in Chiang Mai, but do hear it sometimes in Pattaya. Not saying it's a regional thing only though, I move in different social circles in Pattaya than I do here.

Anyway, both ways are likely correct. Some (older) books go with the traditional method it seems. But the method in the link you quoted seems more common nowadays. (To me anyway)