Killer Of Aussie Tourist Told To Surrender

Lite Beer

Its like playing hide and seek when you know where the hider is, I know where you are, I'm coming to get you, I'll count to three. IF the BiB actually do know where the crooks are, stop playing hide and see and just go get the despicable lumps of swamp slime. Thai law enforcement has got to be the butt of many jokes in police stations around the world.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

......look at that quote, it's all about the money, money, money again

That's the MO, and always has been. They really do not care; a most un-Buddhist quality. I look to the day when tourists divert to Burma in droves. Muang Thai really does not deserve them.

All the while Thailand is warm when Europe feezes, tourists will come

Killer of Aussie tourist told to surrender

"Right now the killer is surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science and the latest in technology such as two way radios and email" Inspector Clouseau. :(

Edited by Payboy

The authorities concern for Thailand's, and Phuket's images is admirable. This case has seemingly awoken in them, a fear of the tourist industry losing out to other equally attractive destinations. Has it also just awoken them from their state of lethargic complacency to the realisation that such a vicious and unprovoked murder of a tourist is symptomatic of a much wider malaise?

And when will the Thai newspapers learn that a western surname equates to a Thai first name, and courtesy dictates that it is prefixed by the title Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms; something that seems regularly to escape them wherein they prefix the name of a criminal suspect yet fail to do so when referring to a western victim.

• Like 2

What Thailand seems to fail to recognize is that the crime has already been committed. The horse has left the barn and is running in the field. Frantically closing the barn door does not alter the fact. If the police do indeed catch the killers it really does not remove the stigma that you may be killed on your tropical holiday. It will simply save a bit of face for the police dept.

This latest bit of news about knowing who they are and threatening to shoot them is just more weird BIB police work. Sort of makes it look like they are going to shoot a couple of local bad boys, and then declare the case solved.

As I posted in a previous post. The police seem to know who the offenders are. They just don't know where they are. Maybe they know that these offenders have a history of violence prior to this incident and are of the belief that they will not go quitely.We have all seen this type in Thailand before at one time or another. So I am thinking the warning is an attempt at self preservation. Nobody, no matter how hard one thinks they are, wants to go into any situation where they are risking getting themselves killed whilst trying to arrest armed thugs,possibley high on drugs and looking at life in prison. Bad situation for any law enforcement.

They actually do state that they know their whereabouts. Presumably they are waiting on the warrant, though I am not aware they really need one to chase down suspects.

......look at that quote, it's all about the money, money, money again

That's the MO, and always has been. They really do not care; a most un-Buddhist quality. I look to the day when tourists divert to Burma in droves. Muang Thai really does not deserve them.

All the while Thailand is warm when Europe feezes, tourists will come

With such a diverse choice of other year-round warm destinations? Hardly. Thailand needs to work much harder than it has in order to continue to attract tourists.

• Like 1

If they know who and where they are, why don't they get off their lazy arse and go get them? Not much to saw for the BIB. They said they weren't going to let two people cause damage to Phuket tourism and the Thailand tourist reputation. Proof positive they are not concerned about the crime, but just protecting tourism. I hate to inform them, but the tourism reputation was damaged a long time ago.

That is because they have no idea who done it ! They are now hoping for 2 Thais to hand them selves in

OR hoping to find 2 convenient suspects and shoot them "while attempting to flee", case solved with bravo

"This is an important case that must be solved urgently. We should not let only two people cause damage to Phuket's tourism. I promise that police will arrest those two perpetrators as soon as possible," Pansiri said.

Shame with Thai men like this, everything boiling down to $$$.

One day human life will be viewed on an index. So sad.

Its not just the men. I seem to recall a well known Thai lady being asked on television what was the most important thing in the world. Now you might expect answers like, my family, or my children but no, it was sadly very predictable. MONEY!

Does anyone really care about Phuket's tourism on this site? I certainly don't after watching the CCTV video of the woman being violently stabbed. Travellers should go to Vietnam, Vientiane, Laos. Go to Cambodia. Nice places.

Right, although far less safe, at least you won't be bothered by the thought of having your murder recorded on surveillance camera.

since when would you need an arrest warrant for murder, I can just see it now, "we come to arrest you for murder, we have you on CCTV",,,,,,no it wouldnt be me, maybe someone look like me, you know we all look same to falangs",,,,ok if you not come with us then you wait here, we come back 24 hours with arrest warrant krub"

There is more than one way to make an arrest. A judge issuing a warrant is one of those ways. A warrantless arrest is the other, and is far more common. Getting a warrant first makes the cops job easier.

do they have the number plate on the motor bike?

the footage showed them on the motorbike from the back, not straight, but with special software police can make a lot of things visible...

Yeah but I don't think you can do that with Angry Birds Rio, the BIB will need to invest in some real police type software.rolleyes.gif

What Thailand seems to fail to recognize is that the crime has already been committed. The horse has left the barn and is running in the field. Frantically closing the barn door does not alter the fact. If the police do indeed catch the killers it really does not remove the stigma that you may be killed on your tropical holiday. It will simply save a bit of face for the police dept.

This latest bit of news about knowing who they are and threatening to shoot them is just more weird BIB police work. Sort of makes it look like they are going to shoot a couple of local bad boys, and then declare the case solved.

As I posted in a previous post. The police seem to know who the offenders are. They just don't know where they are. Maybe they know that these offenders have a history of violence prior to this incident and are of the belief that they will not go quitely.We have all seen this type in Thailand before at one time or another. So I am thinking the warning is an attempt at self preservation. Nobody, no matter how hard one thinks they are, wants to go into any situation where they are risking getting themselves killed whilst trying to arrest armed thugs,possibley high on drugs and looking at life in prison. Bad situation for any law enforcement.

They actually do state that they know their whereabouts. Presumably they are waiting on the warrant, though I am not aware they really need one to chase down suspects.

They don't need a warrant to arrest suspects whom they believe pose a direct threat to the community. These guys would fit that bill. Getting an arrest warrant would take as long as it takes to get a magistate to sign one.This would have occured by now. This leads me to believe that while they say they know where they are, they really don't. Just my opinion of course and I am no expert on the case. But I honestly believe they will get these guys soon. Most people here will give up thier own mothers for 3oo,ooo baht. These assailants have no hope. They know it. The BIB know it and are hoping these guys come down and give themselves up peacefully.

Quote:

Deputy Premier Chalerm Yoobamrung said the case was important for Thailand's image (...)

It says it all.

Great priorities, man. You deserve your own image.

For once this pickle [chalerm] has got things right. Even though it is a blatantly obvious statement. I mean the lady that was murdered was an Australian travel agent here touring Phuket to assess different angles aimed at promoting Thailand as a travel destination for Australian tourists. I don't think they had this in mind.

Does anyone really care about Phuket's tourism on this site? I certainly don't after watching the CCTV video of the woman being violently stabbed. Travellers should go to Vietnam, Vientiane, Laos. Go to Cambodia. Nice places.

Right, although far less safe, at least you won't be bothered by the thought of having your murder recorded on surveillance camera.

Far less safe! Utter crap. Certainly Cambodia is far safer than Thailand for Farangs (Barangs here) I can assure you. In 11 years here I am still only aware of 2 people that have been murdered (in a drug fueled robbery) and 1 young Brit who disappeared. We have the odd drug overdose every year or so and on a handful of occasions people have died in traffic accidents but that's it. Violence against foreigners is almost unheard of... unlike Thailand where I have lost track of the seemingly dozens of dead tourists already this year.

are the BiB daft or do they think all people are daft?

Like if you know the identity and location of the suspects, two questions:

1. why not go and apprehend them?

2. why offer a 300,000 baht reward?

Maybe because they are not sitting at home waiting to get apprehended. rolleyes.gif

i commend the Thai authorities for pulling out all stops to solve this case, however it is for all the wrong reasons. It has nothing to do with the death of a tourist. I have never known Thailand to put up a reward for the killers of a farang. Thailand Tourism Authority like all tourism authorities world wide rely heavily on international travel agents to promote thier country so if this poor lady was anything else other than a travel consultant would we be seeing such dedication to solving this case?

I hope when this is solved they will move thier strong commitment to solving all the other serious crimes against tourists with rewards this would be a huge step to rebuilding confidence that Thailand really is concerned about the actual safety and wellbeing of tourists and not just thier wallets.

I fear you are dreaming again.

This is professional police work?

This is law enforcement?

That is what it is called here, yes.

Actually, the police DO know who they are. The police keep tabs on all these scumbags, from the small timers to the big ones. Hey -- same as in any other country eh? When these guys go big time, it's easy for the cops to harvest them. If they step out of line and dirty the cops' reputation (like, killing a 6-year old child, shooting a motorist in rage etc.) the cops have no choice but to 'prematurely put a stop to their activities'. Otherwise these guys are usually left to do their thing so they can eventually become meatier for the cops.

• Like 1

All past evidence would suggest that the police really must think the public are as clueless as they are themselves or how else could they get away with their Keystone Kops act..

Edited by bigbamboo

UPDATE

Arrest warrant issued for one of two men suspected of killing Australian tourist in Phuket

image_201206241715151DFCFE8C-DFD4-A442-5DB52205C3317471.jpg

PHUKET, June 24 – The court issued an arrest warrant for a Thai man, one of two men suspected of robbing and killing an Australian tourist on the resort island of Phuket.

The suspect with the arrest warrant is a Thai man in his late 20’s about 175-180 cm tall. The sketch, portraying his face was distributed to investigators to find him and possibly his hide-out. T

he police are gathering evidence to seek an arrest warrant for the other suspect, who rode the motorcycle while they committed the crime.The police believe both of them are still in Phuket.

A Bt300,000 bounty was announced for information leading to the arrest of the two attackers who appeared on CCTV footage that captured the moment of the attack.

Investigators distributed pamphlets, showing a sketch of the suspect to patrolling traffic police officers and volunteers as well as publicising it on local cable channels.

Anyone with a possible lead can contact the Phuket police at their mobile phone number 081-8419559 or dial the emergency hotline 191.

Michelle Elizabeim, 60, an Australian tourist, was fatally stabbed during an armed robbery on June 20 in the compound of the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort in Phuket, while her companion was severely wounded. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-24

Hopefully some progress.

Would it be so difficult to get the unfortunate victim's name right? Michelle Elizabeth Smith.

Geez they have enough on thier plate with the damage done to tourism and Thailands reputation, the victim is seconday.

Surrender or we will shoot someone who may or may not have done it, but at least crime will be solved, case can be shut and tourist industry saved. Great plan except for family of potential patsy bring shot on sight.

Surrender or we will shoot someone who may or may not have done it, but at least crime will be solved, case can be shut and tourist industry saved.

And don't forget the reward will be collected. :rolleyes:

I'm not a policeman, however if I was I don't think I would advertise in the national press.........we know who you are, we know where you are, give yourself up or we'll shoot you.

I would more inclined to just go get the guy........

Thai police work in mysterious ways

Yes its more like I know you are in the tall grass, come out!!! Go get him it them... What are you waiting for... A cookie? Is this someones relative and no one wants to "bell the cat" poor logic!

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE !

300K reward..

no questions asked...whistling.gif

Somebody has to know who the little bastards are and maybe the 300K will help loosen some lips! guitar.gif

Actually it's better for them that they turn themselves in as it's only a matter of time before Thai police know their identities.. then they are as good as dead as the cops will hunt them down and shoot them dead to set example. wai.gif

I'm reminded of how the Vietnamese authorities dealt with a similar case in the late 1990s -- a heroin addict stabbed a Dutch woman to death in the Ben Thanh market after she refused to release her handbag, but was captured on the spot.

He was put on trial the same evening in night court, convicted, and shot by firing squad the next morning. His family got the bill for the bullets.