Lonely In Doi Saket, Chiang Mai

autan

Hi Everyone,

I am back in the UK for 2 weeks visting friends and catching up. Well thats the official line anyway. The truth is I am lonely as <deleted>> at home in Thailand. I was there for just a couple of months and the days were starting to blur together.

About 2 months ago or so, I flew from Manchester (UK) to Dubai and then Dubai to BKK. Then BKK to Chiang Mai. When I got there it was raining, but hey that wasnt going to stop me enjoying my new adoptive country.

The evening we "moved in" to our new home, we threw a party and the monks came round and did a blessing in everyrooom. I have to say I had one of the best nights sleep in decades, no kidding. I woke around 11am and heard a cock crowing outside and thought this is the life.

I went to the pantip plaza in chiang mai and bought computer parts and built myself a pc and got a dongle to access the web on true. Its slow and shaky but workable. Everyday I earn around £300 GBP (15000 THB) from my online business. I work around 2 hours a day and then spend the rest of the day as I please.

I go swimming in my pool. Shopping at the airport plaza. I have climbed Doi Suthep countless times, done the zoo. The Lot.

I've done the night bazaar, the red lion etc etc etc.

I am a regulary at the Empress Hotel Buffet and all of the others.

The point is I am lonely as hell. My Wife is a great help, she always has some relative or other to visit and leaves me sat in the car sleeping.

Drinking has become a bit of a problem if call 25 bottles a day of Chang and Leo a problem.

So the my point is I've jumped on a plane and headed back to the UK, where I am now to catch up with mates. They ask me how I am doing and I say, "I'm living the dream". But truth couldnt be further from it.

I am thinking of doing some charity work and would like to know how to get started. I need to do something worthwhile and quick before I top myself with decadent bordom.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not contact http://www.rejoicech...om/ways-to-help they are out your way. This charity was started by two guys from the UK.

"Rejoice Charity is a grassroots charity project based in Chiang Mai province, Northern Thailand, near the foot of the famous Doi Suthep Mountain and temple."

http://www.carefordogs.org/ also in Chiang Mai and I see they are looking for a Voluntary Support CoOrdinator.

I would imagine that with your IT skills etc you would be much appreciated in most places.

I would also say that it might be well worth your while getting a Police clearance certificate which many charities are requesting nowadays for obvious reasons.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Eddie

Edited by edwinclapham
  • Like 1

Thank you edwinclapham. This is as good a place to start than any. I didnt realise that a baby born to a mother who was HIV was infection free unless it drank the "infected breast milk" over a number of months. So what this charity does is provide milk formulae to HIV infected Mothers and therefore give a newborn baby a chance of a normal life.

This is certainly worthy of my time and commitment and I have already sent my creditials to them to contact me, in any way I can help and not just financially either.

Many Thanks.

edwinclapham

Thank you edwinclapham. This is as good a place to start than any. I didnt realise that a baby born to a mother who was HIV was infection free unless it drank the "infected breast milk" over a number of months. So what this charity does is provide milk formulae to HIV infected Mothers and therefore give a newborn baby a chance of a normal life.

This is certainly worthy of my time and commitment and I have already sent my creditials to them to contact me, in any way I can help and not just financially either.

Many Thanks.

edwinclapham

You are welcome.. I am sorry I edited my post whilst you were writing and added another charity or 2.

http://www.carefordogs.org/

http://www.carefordo...or-job-vacancy/

http://www.dulabhato...orn-mission.php

Enjoy the UK but I wish you a very busy and successful life in CM.

Eddie

Edited by edwinclapham

I would imagine most of us are fairly curious of how you earn 15000 baht a day working 2 hours a day.

I am happy to tell you, but I dont know if the mods would let me put a link to my website on here. I basically sell online shop software to new businesses wanting to trade online. Its my speciality.

Many Thanks.

edwinclapham

You are welcome.. I am sorry I edited my post whilst you were writing and added another worthwhile charity http://www.carefordogs.org/

Eddie

I really appreciate that indeed. My general motto is life, is stick to one thing you feel the most passionate about and live and die by that commitment. I have decided the Rejoice Charity is the one for me. I am truely behind the idea of saving lives through such as simple lifestyle change. My own Son, had acid reflux and had to have a special type of milk formulae when we were here in the UK and so I appreciate the costings involved in mass distubution of a product like this and I am fully on board with the charity. I have proposed to them, that perhaps since they are based in Thailand that they should think about a campaign involving T-SHIRTS and other memoribilia which can be sold online worldwide as a collectable. I have had significant experience in running simiilar campaigns in the past. So I will wait for them to get back to me and follow it up when I get back to Chiang Mai.

Many thanks

Autan

Edited by autan

Many Thanks.

edwinclapham

You are welcome.. I am sorry I edited my post whilst you were writing and added another worthwhile charity http://www.carefordogs.org/

Eddie

I really appreciate that indeed. My general motto is life, is stick to one thing you feel the most passionate about and live and die by that commitment. I have decided the Rejoice Charity is the one for me. I am truely behind the idea of saving lives through such as simple lifestyle change. My own Son, had acid reflux and had to have a special type of milk formulae when we were here in the UK and so I appreciate the costings involved in mass distubution of a product like this and I am fully on board with the charity. I have proposed to them, that perhaps since they are based in Thailand that they should think about a campaign involving T-SHIRTS and other memoribilia which can be sold online worldwide as a collectable. I have had significant experience in running simiilar campaigns in the past. So I will wait for them to get back to me and follow it up when I get back to Chiang Mai.

Many thanks

Autan

Sounds great, and please do come back and let us know how you get on. Who knows you might be able to get a few other TV members on board.

Because there are children involved, I will repeat that it is very wise to obtain police clearance certificates, our orphanage in Nong Khai stipulates this from every volunteer now which is a good thing. Perhaps you can organise that whilst you are in the UK as well.

Kind regards

Eddie

Autan, best of luck. You definitely need to cut down on your drinking, not only for obvious health reasons, but also so that there is some beer left in the shops for everyone else :)

I hope you can address this when you return to Thailand. I am sure there are help groups in your area if this is something you cannot do alone

Simon

• Like 1

Dear Autan

well grog is a one way street fortnaely my parner from near Doi Sakhet saved me from hitting the buffers some years back.We cannot all cut back ,I still have wine with dinner and a beer with visitors but seldom dink alone or vist pubs etc.It is all to easy if days drag easy affordable and despite odd hours and flavours getting drunk is easy here.

We moved away but often visit family around 10 mins from Doi Sakhet so would be delighted to meet ou sometime for a chat ,coffee ,walk,I too am involved in an educational charity tat may interest you.

Good luck pm if you wish but I will be in France and Uk until mid August

Personally I don't see how someone can "settle down" someplace in the sense of committing financially without having lived there for a good long while first.

Since you're so Internet savvy, I would have thought you could do a lot of good for local businesses and charities that way without needing to worry about getting a fair rate for your services, basically just do it for those organisations that provide you with good contacts for your social needs.

And obviously if you don't yet you need to become fluent in Thai - if you want to do it intensively for the first six months, it's most cost-effective to hire someone full-time and then you're free to schedule them at your convenience, and just going through the process of recruiting that tutor will be a nice project as well. Just make sure they are native-born "kon pak glang" so you learn with a respectable accent, and also better if they are a male with what you consider a nice masculine manner of speaking so you don't take on the common effeminate patterns many of the educated Thai men here display.

25 bottles a day of Chang , ....... yeah thats a problem, unless you call being drunk all day every day not a problem.

And if you think drinking 25 bottles of Chang does not make you a drunk ...... you have a much more serious problem than you think.

Not being critical just keeping it real for ya since you mentioned it.

Edited by MrRealDeal

25 bottles a day of Chang , ....... yeah thats a problem, unless you call being drunk all day every day not a problem.

And if you think drinking 25 bottles of Chang does not make you a drunk ...... you have a much more serious problem than you think.

I like Chang. smile.png

Not even " I " can do 25 bottles of Chang !! I am starting to think I am not that bad now, cheers.....

Edited by wildpikey

Few other suggestions. I'm actually planning to move quite shortly, so have been looking at various houses on the internet, and have been somewhat twiddling my thumbs wondering what I'm going to with a house and yard like that, especially if I'm a little ways out of the city. I have an online business as well, but put in much more than 2 hours a day.

- Have two dogs now, but with a yard that large, will get a few more. Thailand has definitely turned me into a dog lover.

- Start a garden, including compost and aquaculture setup. Want to grow my own bell peppers, potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. Then with the aquaculture setup, I'll do various spices (dill, parsley, basil, etc.), plus have fresh fish on tap!

- Not sure yet, but might get into plastic injection moldings. Need to look into it more, and mainly how much it's going to cost for a decent home setup. Don't feel like dropping $60k USD on a hobby I might not even like.

- Hoping to play racquetball again. Did it lots as a teen, and was good fun. See if I can find a few people to play with. Would like to golf again, but except the 2 months during the cold season, you're not going to see me on a course when it's +38C and high humidity.

- For charity, probably not much, except will pick a few orphanages, and once a month or so will drop off a truckload of supplies (rice, cooking oil, notebooks, pencils, paints, etc.). I'm not really the type of guy to sit around and teach kids English or something, so will leave that to the people who do it best. I'd prefer to concentrate on making money, then go build a non-profit a new science classroom, or something.

- If I get really bored, maybe try to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. I'll go help build some houses. Good for the health, plus I'm helping people! Plus if you get home after spending all day in the sun building a house, you'll probably be in a coma-like sleep after 2 beers, not 25. :)

- If it works, and I meet the right people, host lots of parties! Big house, big yard, private pool, get some catering in, perfect!

- Get a chef to come to the house once in a while, and help teach me how to cook better.

Just work and my dogs will end up taking up most of my time though.

Edited by cdnmatt

If this is not a troll post....... What you are talking about can be highly individualized. A lot depends on your previous experiences in travelling and your expectations in coming here. Another discourse could be that of your relationship to your Thai wife and her family, as well as your previous drinking history. Sounds like a lot of things are going on, and you are not adapting well. My suggestion in this case is go back to square one of why you decided to move here, and evaluate each decision since then. Be honest with yourself - this is a very different country to try to adapt to. And .... don't tell friends you are doing well when you are not. They can help.

• Like 2

Personally I don't see how someone can "settle down" someplace in the sense of committing financially without having lived there for a good long while first.

Since you're so Internet savvy, I would have thought you could do a lot of good for local businesses and charities that way without needing to worry about getting a fair rate for your services, basically just do it for those organisations that provide you with good contacts for your social needs.

And obviously if you don't yet you need to become fluent in Thai - if you want to do it intensively for the first six months, it's most cost-effective to hire someone full-time and then you're free to schedule them at your convenience, and just going through the process of recruiting that tutor will be a nice project as well. Just make sure they are native-born "kon pak glang" so you learn with a respectable accent, and also better if they are a male with what you consider a nice masculine manner of speaking so you don't take on the common effeminate patterns many of the educated Thai men here display.

I agree learn the language and then you will not be left in the car when the wife goes visiting. I thought my 5 bottles a day was bad. Try and reduce the alcohol intake. Set yourself a time before you start drinking. Later the beter. Good luck.

That's for me a big no no, I'm too tired already even thinking about it. BBQing is like taking care of something for hours but you get to eat it in the end.

Start a family. Once the kids arrive, you'll be busy wink.png

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

Not exactly staring at the ribs while they are being cooked! I refer to an art form of BBQ as a gentleman will need constant care adding the charcoal one by one to balance the temperature every hour or so. Besides BBQing is a man only activity as no women allowed to be a tong master

Learn to BBQ and smoke some ribs. Smoke ribs will take 6 hours.

Are you infering that he should spend his time looking at smoked ribs for 6 hrs 40.gif

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

If you mean smoking this 'KEE YO' Lanna cigar then yes this should be very much encouraged to help preserve Lanna cultural heritage.

post-131333-0-47487700-1340539582_thumb.

Learn to BBQ and smoke some ribs. Smoke ribs will take 6 hours.

Being so lonely out in Doi Saket, might be best to smoke something else.whistling.gif

If its 25 large bottles of Chang a day ? is that physically possible ? .Even if small ones that would be enough to have me in Hospital within a week . My Troll alarm is sounding !!!

Edited by anto
  • Like 1

Everyday I earn around £300 GBP (15000 THB) from my online business. I work around 2 hours a day and then spend the rest of the day as I please.

I go swimming in my pool. Shopping at the airport plaza

Yes, what more do you need? rolleyes.gif Money (as you specifically mentioned your income) will not buy you any friends.

Edited by Semper

I would imagine most of us are fairly curious of how you earn 15000 baht a day working 2 hours a day.

You send an Email biggrin.png among other things

Seriously Internet Marketing is a fantastic way to make a great living and once you have built it up 15000 in 2 hours in very doable

maybe I will set up a TEFL course for Internet Marketing biggrin.png

DK

Not even " I " can do 25 bottles of Chang !! I am starting to think I am not that bad now, cheers.....

NOPE YOUR STILL HORRIFIC whistling.gif

And since you drink small Tiger you could not even even handle one bottle of Chang ya woos leave Chang to the real Men biggrin.png

DK

Edited by DiamondKing