International Driving Licence

On Tuesday my lawyer in my home country (nanny state) is representing me in a speeding fine and I might have my driving licence disqualified.

Does anybody know if its possible to obtain an International driving licence in bangkok? Can I do this if my licence from home is disqualified or suspended.

If I drive or ride a motorcycle in thailand and have an accident then my travel insurance might not cover me on a disqualified licence.

Any thoughts or help with this is much appreciated.

You can only get an International drivers licence in your home country on presentation of your local drivers licence. They aren't going to issue you with an International drivers licence in Thailand. I suggest you try and get a Thai drivers licence before you lose it (your home country licence) because your insurance will probably disqualify you if your home country licence has been cancelled.

I did just notice an advertisement on this forum that says they can issue you with an International licence for your home country Online.

www.International-Licence.com

Edited by giddyup

It is supposed to be your "home" country it's true, but I have held drivers licenses in seven different countries, and the answer to your question depends on the rules of the issuing authority of the country where you hold their license.

Apparently Thailand hasn't ratified the relevant treaty? But both accepts them and issues them in certain locations, as long as you have your Thai DL.

I'm sure the length of time issue can be "negotiated".

Relevant link

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

It is supposed to be your "home" country it's true, but I have held drivers licenses in seven different countries, and the answer to your question depends on the rules of the issuing authority of the country where you hold their license.

Apparently Thailand hasn't ratified the relevant treaty? But both accepts them and issues them in certain locations, as long as you have your Thai DL.

I'm sure the length of time issue can be "negotiated".

Relevant link

I don't believe the OP has a Thai drivers licence, only a licence from his home country which he believes may be cancelled.

Apply for a copy drivers license which you are entitled to until they take yours away. Then you have the other one which if it is printed in English is better than an international drivers license anyway.

How is a "copy" licence better than an International? Where does he obtain this "copy" licence?

I don't believe the OP has a Thai drivers licence, only a licence from his home country which he believes may be cancelled.

Right, and the answer to his "real" question is to get a Thai license, which is not difficult at all nor even inconvenient.

This will then allow him to get an IDP, although I guess your point is that he won't need it for his expressed purpose anyway, but it may well come in handy for driving in other countries - but not his home country of course.

Thanks for all the replies. Im still a bit confused about all this but having just read the other topic

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/564293-international-driver-license/page__hl__+international%20+driving%20+licence#entry5413597

it seems that I need an international driving permit in order to get a thai licence. Also, not sure if they issue a thai drivers licence if Im here on a triple entry visa. It was implied that I would not be able to apply on an entry visa.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

thanks

Right, and the answer to his "real" question is to get a Thai license, which is not difficult at all nor even inconvenient.

This will then allow him to get an IDP, although I guess your point is that he won't need it for his expressed purpose anyway, but it may well come in handy for driving in other countries - but not his home country of course.

If its a new Thai DL he is after will not be able to get a IDP based on his Thai DL until he has his 5 year variety....therefore will be at least 1 year.

If he does get his foreign license suspended or revoked, as long as they dont take it off him or endorse it cancelled...he still should be able to get a 1 year Thai DL....they dont check, failing that do the test in Thailand.

Dependent on which nanny state we are talking about, he can drive on his Thai DL, there is "no connection" between his original foreign license, however if he does get caught out for some reason...he will be in for the high jump

Apply for a copy drivers license which you are entitled to until they take yours away. Then you have the other one which if it is printed in English is better than an international drivers license anyway.

How is a "copy" licence better than an International? Where does he obtain this "copy" licence?

Well, he says nanny state which usually implies the UK. So, he pops along to Swnasea DVLA with his passport and address ID, says he needs a duplicate (makes up a reason why), gets one, and happy days. Easy.

Uk license - do not need an international license anyway. I've had no problems with mine in most of Asia, a couple of times in Africa, USA

Thanks for all the replies. Im still a bit confused about all this but having just read the other topic

http://www.thaivisa....ce#entry5413597

it seems that I need an international driving permit in order to get a thai licence. Also, not sure if they issue a thai drivers licence if Im here on a triple entry visa. It was implied that I would not be able to apply on an entry visa.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

thanks

on and IDP to get a Thai DL...maybe maybe not...depends on which licensing department you use...so require it, some dont

You don't need an IDP to get a Thai DL, it just makes the process (a little) easier.

And note the actual requirements and what's allowed does vary from one office to the next, including the ability to get whatever the heck you like via a donation to the local BiB's favorite charity.

I doubt if there'd be any difficulty getting an 18-wheeler permit and driving straight into Klong Toey if you really wanted to.

But for the poster who suggested that a UK citizen drive in the UK on your IDP, not a good idea even apart from the plod, insurance would also have an easy out of any responsibility in the event of an accident, equivalent to - in fact you are - illegally driving without a license at all once your local one's suspended or revoked.

But for the poster who suggested that a UK citizen drive in the UK on your IDP, not a good idea even apart from the plod, insurance would also have an easy out of any responsibility in the event of an accident, equivalent to - in fact you are - illegally driving without a license at all once your local one's suspended or revoked.

It is not "illegal" to drive a car in the UK as a British citizen on a Thai DL. I have hired a car in the UK on a Thai DL/IDP and insurance is not a problem. I am not the only person I know who has done this

however in the case of the OP, if he is trying to aquire a Thai DL/IDP to try an circumnavigate a driving ban in the UK and he is caught out he will be in the poo, and yes insurance would be invalidated.

It is not "illegal" to drive a car in the UK as a British citizen on a Thai DL. I have hired a car in the UK on a Thai DL/IDP and insurance is not a problem. I am not the only person I know who has done this

however in the case of the OP, if he is trying to aquire a Thai DL/IDP to try an circumnavigate a driving ban in the UK and he is caught out he will be in the poo, and yes insurance would be invalidated.

I don't think he was saying that it's illegal to drive in the UK on a Thai drivers licence, but illegal to be driving on an International licence from your home country if your normal drivers licence has been suspended.

Unless I'm mistake, the court issues a driving ban, irregardless of type of licence held. You are then banned from using any motorized vehicle on the roads. You could have 10 licences but that doesn't changed the fact you've been banned. A stop by the police and running your IDP details through the computer would flag your name, DOB etc.

Jesus these threads on drivers licenses get so screwed up.

Firstly, ignore anything BigJohhnyBKK has said, as almost all of it is wrong. (Sorry mate)

OP, no one in Thailand, not the cops or any insurance will know your home license is cancelled. (suspended or revoked) They do not have access to those databases. They will go by the expiration date on the license, so don't give that another thought.

You can only get an International drivers licence in your home country on presentation of your local drivers licence. They aren't going to issue you with an International drivers licence in Thailand.

Not even sure what you are trying to say here. On presentation to whom? Who is "they"? Lets try to be clear what we are talking about.

The correct term is an "international drivers permit" (IDP) which is a translation document of your home country DL into several languages as described by the various UN traffic acts and can only be done by your home government (where the DL was issued) or authorized automobile association. People often use the term "international drivers license" but there really is no such thing. Having said that, if your home license is in English and has a picture, you do not need an IDP in Thailand. Your home license is already considered international by police, rental companies, and insurance.

Thailand does issue an international drivers permit/license but only on the 5 year license which means you have to get and have the 1 year license for 1 year first. You CAN drive legally in your home country on a Thai DL, international or not, as long as you are only visiting your home country, not living there. The Thai international license/permit available with teh Thai 5 year DL is designed for/recommended for Thai's that do a lot of international driving around Asia. 95% of western countries will accept the standard Thai DL because it has a picture and is in English. You will need to check your home country's rules.

I suggest you try and get a Thai drivers licence before you lose it (your home country licence) because your insurance will probably disqualify you if your home country licence has been cancelled.

The suggestion to get a Thai DL is a good one, but losing your home license (unless you are physically mailing the license back to them) will not matter in the least.

I did just notice an advertisement on this forum that says they can issue you with an International licence for your home country Online.

www.International-Licence.com

That company is 100% bogus scam company. They docs they give you are not worth the paper they are written on. They are not authorized to issue IDP's but rely on the ambiguity in laws and peoples ignorance. Amazing they can stay in business.

"Right, and the answer to his "real" question is to get a Thai license, which is not difficult at all nor even inconvenient." Especially if you bring in your home license as they will usually let you skip the written and practical tests. Some say they were required to have an IDP in order to skip the tests. I was asked to print out from the California DMV page what class "C" and "M1" were. I then was issued a car and motorcycle DL based on this.

"This will then allow him to get an IDP," Yes, after 1 year you can obtain the 5 year license and get the IDP for that) "although I guess your point is that he won't need it for his expressed purpose anyway, but it may well come in handy for driving in other countries - but not his home country of course." Absolutely you can drive on your Thai DL in your home country, as long as you are a visitor not a resident. You apply the same rules as you do when using your home DL in Thailand.

Edited by NomadJoe

Unless I'm mistake, the court issues a driving ban, irregardless of type of licence held. You are then banned from using any motorized vehicle on the roads. You could have 10 licences but that doesn't changed the fact you've been banned. A stop by the police and running your IDP details through the computer would flag your name, DOB etc.

That is correct. But the RTP will not have access to this information.

You don't need an IDP to get a Thai DL, it just makes the process (a little) easier.

And note the actual requirements and what's allowed does vary from one office to the next, including the ability to get whatever the heck you like via a donation to the local BiB's favorite charity.

I doubt if there'd be any difficulty getting an 18-wheeler permit and driving straight into Klong Toey if you really wanted to.

These points I agree with. I do not believe that driving with a Thai DL in say England will be legal when your English DL has been suspended. It's your driving privileges within that geographical location that have been revoked. They aren't magically restored when you bring in a foreign license.

When I said you can only get an International drivers licence on presentation of your current licence in your home country, I meant presented to what ever authority issues IDL's in your home country. In Australia it's the RAA and I think in other countries it's a similar motoring organisation. That's who the "they" is. I realise you don't need a licence of any description to get a Thai licence, you just sit for the test the same as any Thai would do when applying for their first licence. I had an International licence when I obtained my Thai licence, so only had to do a colour blindness test (failed first time because I'm colour blind) a reaction test and a depth perception test. No practical or written test.

Edited by giddyup

AFAIK an international driving permit/license is nothing more than a translation of your local driving license and should be presented to a law-enforcement officer if asked. But that's official.

I think the International licence was required in the early days before most local licences had a photo on them. These days there wouldn't be too many countries that don't have a photo on a drivers licence.

I don't think he was saying that it's illegal to drive in the UK on a Thai drivers licence, but illegal to be driving on an International licence from your home country if your normal drivers licence has been suspended.

It's just not possible to drive on an IDP from your home country IN your own country.

The IDP is only valid for countries in which it is NOT issued.

nvm Edited by MrRealDeal

It's just not possible to drive on an IDP from your home country IN your own country.

nvm Edited by MrRealDeal

My mistake. I thought the OP was then going to return to UK and use Thai licence and IDP to drive there. I really should read the OP properly before posting :(

If its a new Thai DL he is after will not be able to get a IDP based on his Thai DL until he has his 5 year variety....therefore will be at least 1 year.

If he does get his foreign license suspended or revoked, as long as they dont take it off him or endorse it cancelled...he still should be able to get a 1 year Thai DL....they dont check, failing that do the test in Thailand.

Dependent on which nanny state we are talking about, he can drive on his Thai DL, there is "no connection" between his original foreign license, however if he does get caught out for some reason...he will be in for the high jump

YES HE HAS ANSWERS FOR EVERYTHING THIS GUY,BUT DOESNT UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION

Correct you cant drive on an IDP issued by the AA in UK based on your UK license, but you could drive in the UK on an IDP issued against your Thai DL, someone suggest being a British Citizen has to drive on a UK license..which is not true.

however If OP is trying to aquire a Thai DL to continue driving in the UK because he is banned from driving in the UK and he gets caught doing this he will be in the poo, irrespective of the license he is carrying.