International Driver License

Wolf

Many threads on this.

From what I remember if you want IDL (International Drivers License) I think there a con, what you may need is a IDP (International Drivers Permit) as said obtained from you country of origin.

If you have a valid full drivers license that is written in English you can use in Thailand for up to 90 days, then before the 90 days you need to apply for a Thai license with your own countries one.

If you want a International Drivers Permit from Thailand you need a 5 year Thai license.

I stand to be updated as things change. :)

In the same country where you obtained your regular license.

Your DL, if it is (also) in English, will be valid for 45 days.

I know I can get it back home, but since I won't be getting there in the near future, I need to get one here in Thailand. I know it's possible, but the question is: Where?

I know I can get it back home, but since I won't be getting there in the near future, I need to get one here in Thailand. I know it's possible, but the question is: Where?

Sorry, not possible.

Its possible to get an international driving license BUT the problem is it is NOT an official document. Why not just go to your local land transport office and get a Thai license. Problem solved.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Like 1

Sorry, not possible.

I seem to remember being in Africa and obtaining one by post......

Just did a check on the Post office website...you must apply in person..

Edited by plopmeister

Its possible to get an international driving license BUT the problem is it is NOT an official document. Why not just go to your local land transport office and get a Thai license. Problem solved.

You can only get a Thai licence, without taking the test, IF you have an international driving licence... bad luck

I got a Thai driving licence

You can only get a Thai licence, without taking the test, IF you have an international driving licence... bad luck

That is correct. When I got my Thai licence I showed my International Drivers Permit (IDP) and my Australian drivers licence. They were only interested in my IDP

Actually it does depend on the particular land transport office. In my one as long as the license is in english and you are here on a visa (not entry) then they do it.

Many threads on this.

From what I remember if you want IDL (International Drivers License) I think there a con, what you may need is a IDP (International Drivers Permit) as said obtained from you country of origin.

If you have a valid full drivers license that is written in English you can use in Thailand for up to 90 days, then before the 90 days you need to apply for a Thai license with your own countries one.

If you want a International Drivers Permit from Thailand you need a 5 year Thai license.

I stand to be updated as things change. smile.png

Correct, 90 days, BUT, if you have a prang on a non Thai license you could have a problem. sad.png If you hire a car be sure to ask if your license is OK with THEIR insurance. whistling.gif

Got my Thai motorbike licence just by showing my Canadian automobile licence, not even any test other then so-called reflexes and colour. Don't have a Canadian motorbike licence or anything international.

Probably does depend on just which LTD you go to.

I always believed that it is /has been illegal to drive without the correct "cover" and would never consider it....but boys will be boys and when the red mist..etc..

Got my new one a few weeks ago (valid 6 years) so quick dee mak.....might even buy that Toyo on next visit.....anyway wee bit of info ...reading...

Can I Drive Legally in Thailand?

When driving ANY vehicle in Thailand you need to have a valid drivers license.

Your original drivers license might seem okay however this is not the case.

To drive legally in Thailand you need either a Thai drivers license or a International drivers license

along with your regular one.

If you get stopped by the police they will probably accept your drivers license and if not they will in most cases charge you xxxx baht. Police often accept “B” license even if driving a motorbike or a big bike.

The reality is that many people do rent motorbikes without having a proper “A” license along with an International license but these are the rules.

IF you happen to be in an accident and you do not have a proper driving license you might be in big trouble, even if you only rent a motorbike without “A” license but maybe only have “B” license, in other words license to drive a car you will most certainly end up in jail during the process.

It will be your fault no matter what happened since you were driving illegally.

Keep in mind that it is not uncommon that people overtake in sharp curves and sometimes also might force you off the road by overtake even if you are in the way. Be extra careful and you will probably stay out of trouble and only return home with great memories from this fantastic country.

line.gif

The Responsibility Is On You - Insurance

No matter what vehicle you rent, as the driver of the vehicle, you must make sure that the vehicle is insured. For all vehicles you should see a sticker with some Thai written on it.

The sticker includes the registration number and what year the insurance is valid to.

For example if you visiting Thailand in 2012 the number on the sticker should be 2555. Then it also say what month it is valid to, this can be hard to know since it is written in Thai. The insurance might also have 2556 written on it since this is the same as 2013 because the Thai calendar is 543 years ahead and the insurance is due to next year.

On motorbikes the sticker is normally placed visible between the seat and the handle or in the area below the seat. On cars the sticker is normally placed on the front window.

If you rent a car, ask to see the registration book so that you know where to find it if the police wants to see it.

Also when you rent a car check what insurance they have and what it covers.

Today many places, even small ones, do have very good insurances that for example limit your costs to only a few thousand baths in case of an accident.

This is very important if you do not want a scenario where you might have to pay for a whole car..OUCH

OP. Where are you from? If US, go here http://www.aaa.com/p...IADP_Apply.html you can do it through the mail.

But what he needs is a Thai driving license really what is the use of a International Drivers Permit translated into English when the USA and UK licenses are already in English. ??? blink.png

Maybe true. But, the beauty of the IDP is, when you get waved over and hand the cop a license and what looks like a small book. The cops eyes glaze over and roll back in their head, because they have no idea what they are looking at, but it looks very official. They hand them back to you and wave you through.laugh.png

OP. Where are you from? If US, go here http://www.aaa.com/p...IADP_Apply.html you can do it through the mail.

But what he needs is a Thai driving license really what is the use of a International Drivers Permit translated into English when the USA and UK licenses are already in English. ??? blink.png

Maybe true. But, the beauty of the IDP is, when you get waved over and hand the cop a license and what looks like a small book. The cops eyes glaze over and roll back in their head, because they have no idea what they are looking at, but it looks very official. They hand them back to you and wave you through.laugh.png

That maybe OK but I just like to see fellow alien farangies safe :D but they do not normally find that out until an accident or some incident in whether that kind of permit is valid after a number of days in Thailand, it might say valid for one year but is it when it comes to being in Thailand.

Also does all the Thai insurance companies recognize them ?? you maybe doing them a favour paying them money but a different story when a payout is wanted, they love a cop out.

The best way is to get a Thai driving license full stop, no worries, and easy done. :D

As for all the nonsense wrote about you need one of these to do this & that, it is just not true as already said it depends on the particular land transport office you go to.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Chinese license issued to foreigners. It is written in Chinese but has English description. Can I still use this in Thailand? Can I change this into Thai license.

My USA license has been expired few years since I haven't been back and have no residency there anymore.

I have Chinese license issued to foreigners. It is written in Chinese but has English description. Can I still use this in Thailand? Can I change this into Thai license.

My USA license has been expired few years since I haven't been back and have no residency there anymore.

The only way to find out for sure is to go to the local DLT office near where you are staying in Thailand and ask them, much easier if you take a Thai partner or friend along.

Don't worry about taking a test if you have to, it's very easy, mostly just a case of being patience.:D

The only way to find out for sure is to go to the local DLT office near where you are staying in Thailand and ask them, much easier if you take a Thai partner or friend along.

Don't worry about taking a test if you have to, it's very easy, mostly just a case of being patience.biggrin.png

Thanks for the suggestion. I am still in China. I shipped all my belongs to Chiang Rai and I will be in the country middle of the month. I will surely take my girl with me to DLT and hope they will accept. I still have my old license expired in 2008. Maybe I can show this to them. smile.png

Edited by mikekim1219

Don't worry about taking a test if you have to, it's very easy, mostly just a case of being patience.biggrin.png

Thanks for the suggestion. I am still in China. I shipped all my belongs to Chiang Rai and I will be in the country middle of the month. I will surely take my girl with me to DLT and hope they will accept. I still have my old license expired in 2008. Maybe I can show this to them. smile.png

Get an IDP in China while you're there just in case.

Get an IDP in China while you're there just in case.

No IDP issued in China. They play on different rules here... This is the middle kingdom.. hell with rest of the world~

Do you mean that you want to use the International Driver's License to drive in Thailand? In this case, you get the international license outside of Thailand or in your home country or reading previous posts there may be some options by mail from automobile associations depending on which country you are from. You should get a Thai driver's license to drive in Thailand. You could find out if this is possible on a Tourist Visa by checking with the Department of Land Transport (on Pahonyothin Road near Mor Chit BTS if you are in metropolitan Bangkok) or by checking other threads in this forum as this has been discussed numerous times.

If you mean that you want an International Driver's License to drive in other countries, then you can get one issued by the Department of Land Transport but I do not think it is possible on a tourist visa. You may need at minimum a Non Immigrant visa and a Thai driver's license. I have received annual International Driver's Licenses for the past few years for use for driving in other countries from the DLT with no problems but have both residency and a Thai driver's license.

I suspect your question relates to the first case and think that a Thai driver's license would serve your purpose.

best solution:

money can solve anything in the LOS.

go to any driving school. (not those in inner bangkok, get those around the eastern bangkok, from klong tan to minburi)

talk to the person-in-charge who will most likely charge you 3-5kb for the driving license.

no test, nothing needed to be done. you just go there and take a photo for your driving license.

Edited by rics21

best solution:

go to any driving school. (not those in inner bangkok, get those around the eastern bangkok, from klong tan to minburi)

talk to the person-in-charge who will most likely charge you 3-5kb for the driving license.

no test, nothing needed to be done. you just go there and take a photo for your driving license.

best solution:

At a lot of DLT's this practice doesn't work anymore. My friend tried it (through a Driving School) (and he even went up as far as 10k) but no joy. DLT wouldn't accept it.

But after 3 days of failed Theory and Practical exams he got his license (and he only paid DLT's standard Fees)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Sorry, not possible.

RACV (who issue International permit in our state) told me I could get a friend to come into the office with a photocopy of my Aussie licence, a photocopy of the front page of my current International licence and a passport photo and do it all then post it to me. Haven't been out of the country for more than 12 months so far, so I haven't had to put it to the test.We spend about 8 months of the year in Thailand, generally only a couple of months or less at a time (which can put us over the 45 day rule). Does anyone know if we would be able to get a Thai licence as described elsewhere in the thread by taking our Aussie and International licences with a Double Entry Tourist Visa to the relevant department in Chiang Mai? I read some time ago that you have to have a non-immigration visa to apply. This is important to us, even though we rarely hire a bike and even more rarely a car to do the Mai Sai border run - non compliance with local laws means our insurance coverage is automatically voided. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, not possible.

RACV (who issue International permit in our state) told me I could get a friend to come into the office with a photocopy of my Aussie licence, a photocopy of the front page of my current International licence and a passport photo and do it all then post it to me. Haven't been out of the country for more than 12 months so far, so I haven't had to put it to the test.We spend about 8 months of the year in Thailand, generally only a couple of months or less at a time (which can put us over the 45 day rule). Does anyone know if we would be able to get a Thai licence as described elsewhere in the thread by taking our Aussie and International licences with a Double Entry Tourist Visa to the relevant department in Chiang Mai? I read some time ago that you have to have a non-immigration visa to apply. This is important to us, even though we rarely hire a bike and even more rarely a car to do the Mai Sai border run - non compliance with local laws means our insurance coverage is automatically voided. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know where the 45 day rule comes from, I think it has been changed, making inquiries you get 90 days, I stand to be corrected.

If you have a valid photo card driving license in English from your country you can use that for up to 90 days in Thailand, just tell the hire company that is what you are using when hiring a vehicle in Thailand.

You can obtain a Thai license from a DLT i.e.( Department of Land & Transport ) in Chiang mai.

Maybe someone in Chang mai who has applied for a Thai driving license can tell you what there DLT requires for application.

Many different rules from located DLT's in and an around Thailand to getting a Thai driving license but very easy to do so.

Not sure what you entirely mean by your last comment but all I can say is it is far better to have a Thai driving license if you spend more than 30 days in Thailand IMO.

• Like 1

Thank you Kwasaki - I've never known bike or car hirer's to ask to see our licence - it's the insurance side that concerns me; as I said, if we are not in full compliance with local laws (i.e. licence, helmet, drink driving, speeding), our travel insurance won't cover us should we be unfortunate enough to have an accident. 90 days sounds more reasonable than 45, and would bring it into line with most other countries. I was referred to this thread from another one dealing with someone who had a serious accident and wasn't covered by his insurance. I used to write small print for a living so I always read it and know for certain that we are fully covered, but one thing that had gone totally over my head was local laws on how long you can be in a country with your own licence and an International Driving Licence/Permit (which is required by law in Thailand, but not in Malaysia). 90 days seems to be standard in most countries, but I now have that nagging doubt. We spend about 8 months of the year in Thailand, never more than 60 days at one time on a tourist visa, and I need to know if the 90 day rule is per entry or per calendar year. As I said, I used to write small print; I know how to protect an organisation and have no intention on being caught out on something so small as this - I'm quite mortified that I hadn't considered it previously. Is anyone able to point me to a web site/pdf or anything else from the relevant government department that will state how many days per visit/year one can be legally driving on an International Licence/Permit or if I can apply for a Thai licence with a 60 day tourist visa?