A Woman Of Quality

BigJohnnyBKK

Found I needed to start a new thread in order to continue the conversation, hope that's alright with y'all. . .

I agree to nothing to someone who put "quality" before "women"

Why is that Aneliane? I agree if they're referring to superficial qualities like socio-economic class, education or beauty but. . .

What if they're talking about inner qualities, such as a powerful intelligence, strong will, dignified presence, sparkling personality or moral character?

As in, "I wish Thailand had women in politics of the same quality as Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi!"

Wouldn't that be an acceptable use of the phrase to you?

BTW it is not my intention for this thread to become a political discussion sparked by any topic you may infer from the above example. Let's see if you can restrain yourself. . .

And furthermore, I think the topic isn't just about women, but what we feel are valid bases for "judging" quality in our fellow human beings. I named eight categories above, three of which I feel should be excluded, but would welcome more in either side of the argument.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

There is a huge difference between the 2 expressions

"a quality woman" implies that there is a superior therefore also an inferior. So basically it means scale, it means grades, it means attributes that are putting the human being to an object level. Quality car, quality food, quality products ...

"a woman of quality" on the other hand, just says that she has a lot going for her

There is a huge difference between the 2 expressions

"a quality woman" implies that there is a superior therefore also an inferior. So basically it means scale, it means grades, it means attributes that are putting the human being to an object level. Quality car, quality food, quality products ...

"a woman of quality" on the other hand, just says that she has a lot going for her

This is splitting hairs IMO.

I'm assuming you would object just as much to the latter if it were based simply on superficial attributes not under her control, such as external appearance or social background.

But wouldn't "That Aung San Suu Kyi is certainly a quality woman!" be acceptable from even a feminist's POV? In other words, those attributes being evaluated are equally valid for men and women.

Obviously stating "S/he's a quality piece of ass" would not qualify and that's not what I'm talking about even if that's what the (other thread's) OP meant.

I'm trying to explore what are the attributes that are validly used to judge quality in a person as a worthy human being, as opposed to the more common outward ones used in society.

I have found people sometimes have strong reactions to certain words that trigger memories of unpleasant events in their lives. In cases like that emotion is in control and discussion is difficult. Perhaps this is what you have stumbled upon here OP.

• Like 1

I have found people sometimes have strong reactions to certain words that trigger memories of unpleasant events in their lives. In cases like that emotion is in control and discussion is difficult. Perhaps this is what you have stumbled upon here OP.

No it just reminds me of morons in general

Let's face it, there are some extremely low quality human beings in this world.

I have no problem with being described as a quality man, and I don't know any woman who would have a problem with being described as a quality woman.

Although I would add the caveat (that may or may not be relevant) that, as a man, I would not like to be called a quality woman, and I don't know any man who would like to be referred to as a quality woman.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Stick and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you

I must say that is a quality post

No offence to other posters intended

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

As this topic is a continuation of a closed troll topic:

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

mfr_closed1.gif

• Like 1