Nanai Road

flightest

Offshore was demolished over a month ago. New building being erected. Many locals say that Don's BBQ is the best bar on Nanai. Just opposite the Tesco Lotus on Nanai rd (Mae Ubol Market).

Really. Well depending on how you see it, one might say that Don's bbq has changed a once quiet Thai style area into another farang infested, overpriced bar beer area. Lots of drunken loud-mouthed farangs arguing and starting fights over really important shit like the finer points of (what shoulda been) a for-fun pool game. Like Patong really needs more of that garbage.

Just another example of greed outweighing the needs of the locals to be able to compete in one of the markets where they excel, inexpensive and casual Thai eating and drinking places. Soon they will be replaced by overpriced farang owned bars, and overpriced farang sponsored restaurants simply because the locals will not be able to afford to pay the rents or come up with the key money to compete in the area. Yet another of my favorite areas of town ruined by the farangification of Phuket. There are now more farang restaurants on Nanai Rd between Soi Baanzan and MaeUbol market than Thai eateries.

Whoopie. Let's go to Thailand where we can eat yet another overpriced crappy pizza.

I found the Thai restaurants there to be overpriced for what they are. The OP could try about two hundred yards north of there at the Ting Tong bar - nice little pubby-type bar with a decent pool table and mainly expat clientele.

I like Dons Bar B Q.... the staff are pleasant (no lady drink pushers), the food is good and inexpensive

The Saturday and Sunday night BBQ @ 199 bht all you can eat is particularly good value catering for both Thai and foreign tastes.

Most sports events are catered for on a a number of screens in 2 bars and with beer being 60bht across the board they can hardly be called expensive.

I found the Thai restaurants there to be overpriced for what they are. The OP could try about two hundred yards north of there at the Ting Tong bar - nice little pubby-type bar with a decent pool table and mainly expat clientele.

Used to eat there often when Larry was in charge. Since the new owner (might be more than one ?) never been able to get a meal early afternoon. So stopped going there for the past year or so.

Yes, not much in the way of food there (fish and chips, pies, that sort of thing), but not a bad spot for a beer - which I think is what the OP is looking for. My other comment was directed at the al fresco restaurants (not Don's). Prices seem to have skyrocketed there over the years, but I haven't bothered trying for quite a while. Still extremely busy in high season, though.

yes ive been to dons bbq good value at the weekend, last time i drank a few times in the first bar right next to the open air restaurants, there was a number of expats in there who previously drank in the offshore, all the beer was 60 and the 2 girls who ran it were nice

Offshore was demolished over a month ago. New building being erected. Many locals say that Don's BBQ is the best bar on Nanai. Just opposite the Tesco Lotus on Nanai rd (Mae Ubol Market).

Really. Well depending on how you see it, one might say that Don's bbq has changed a once quiet Thai style area into another farang infested, overpriced bar beer area. Lots of drunken loud-mouthed farangs arguing and starting fights over really important shit like the finer points of (what shoulda been) a for-fun pool game. Like Patong really needs more of that garbage.

Just another example of greed outweighing the needs of the locals to be able to compete in one of the markets where they excel, inexpensive and casual Thai eating and drinking places. Soon they will be replaced by overpriced farang owned bars, and overpriced farang sponsored restaurants simply because the locals will not be able to afford to pay the rents or come up with the key money to compete in the area. Yet another of my favorite areas of town ruined by the farangification of Phuket. There are now more farang restaurants on Nanai Rd between Soi Baanzan and MaeUbol market than Thai eateries.

Whoopie. Let's go to Thailand where we can eat yet another overpriced crappy pizza.

Dont blaim the farangs for gready thai landowners that push the rents up.Its called business,if you cant pay get out.I more feel sorry for the farangs that paying this stupid keymoney(not legal)and hight rent and then the a_holes in brown wants money and all kind of bullshit you have to pay as farang.thats the true reson for higher prices and they still not make any money.Sure its crap for all of us to pay to much but dont blaim they business owners, they have to make money to pay of all the a-holes Edited by crille30

And the root cause is the greed of the Thai land-lords.

Thats true, but the ''fresh off the plane-i'm gonna open a bar/restaurant newbies'' when offered a place at astronomical prices, and go...cor, blimey mate, thats cheaper than back-ome...sign me and my new darling up on that one....great stuff!!

Also adds to it...i think...Supply and demand..hand in hand...

Thats true, but the ''fresh off the plane-i'm gonna open a bar/restaurant newbies'' when offered a place at astronomical prices, and go...cor, blimey mate, thats cheaper than back-ome...sign me and my new darling up on that one....great stuff!!

Absolutely right. And the locals who've been there for years selling decent products at decent prices get thrown under the bus in favor of the "fresh off the plane newbies" with stars in their eyes, pockets full of stupid money, and a new Thai 'girlfriend'.

And in the end, higher rents = higher end prices to customers. And the greedy beat goes on...

Absolutely right. And the locals who've been there for years selling decent products at decent prices get thrown under the bus in favor of the "fresh off the plane newbies" with stars in their eyes, pockets full of stupid money, and a new Thai 'girlfriend'.

And in the end, higher rents = higher end prices to customers. And the greedy beat goes on...

Yep, and Phuket slowly outprices itself and tourist end up going elsewhere in Thailand to holiday, or to neighbouring countries, particularly Vietnam, but it all starts with the cost of your lease/rent set by a greedy Thai landlord.

Hey mate, i've never meet one of those fresh off the plane people, but i did talk to a guy who's just opened a bar on the advise of his Thai GF and got a reasonable rent, well when i say that, his GF said the key money was twice as much and she kept the difference, she's lost all interest in working now and the poor/ sucker guy is stuck with a bar he never wanted, loosing money hand over fist, i used to like the old days on Nanai, full of old characters, it really was the good old days, many have died, moved away, generally give up on the place, hopefully everyone can survive thats got a business on nanai, but it's defiantly getting harder
  • Like 2

The greedy Thail landlords rip of there own people as well so dont think it's only us if dont forget they are land LORDS.

As regards to French and Italians ringing the bell forget it expresso for all and make it last and a lot of the French that have ended up down in Nani rd are north African French dont drink to much

The greedy Thail landlords rip of there own people as well so dont think it's only us if dont forget they are land LORDS.

As regards to French and Italians ringing the bell forget it expresso for all and make it last and a lot of the French that have ended up down in Nani rd are north African French dont drink to much

Agreedsmile.png