AirAsia Will Move To Don Mueang On Oct 1

webfact

A final thought, Thai Air Asia ops some domestic flights from Phuket, which might connect with their international services from Phuket, thus completely eliminating the Swampy/Don Muang question altogether for at least a few of you.

This is actually the only positive side I can see, and even more so for those living in Chiang Mai. Getting from Chiang Mai to Don Mueang is often faster than getting there from many locations in and around Bangkok.

For those living in Pattaya, it's the other way around. It takes up to twice as long to get to Don Mueang as to Swampy if there's a direct bus connection. If not, it's becoming very complicated and very expensive.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And no public transport betwen the 2 airports - yet again another ill thought out, stupid scheme

Hopefully, they will have a plan for that soon.

I can se before me 1,386 new Toyota vans at supersonic speeds on every available piece of tarmac between the two airports crazy.gif

Knowing air asia and their penchant for making money I am sure we will soon see a fleet of air asia buses, or buses chartered by them fleeting between the two airports at a nominal cost to the passenger.

And no public transport betwen the 2 airports - yet again another ill thought out, stupid scheme

Hopefully, they will have a plan for that soon.

Not the Airport LInk ref above. There are already two public buses which run from Swampy Transport terminal and stop directly outside DMK T1 (and mini vans). These have existed since 2006 but it seems some missed that fact!!!

The AOT has already stated that they will also introduce direct airport to airport buses (either BMA, private or both). I think for those few seeking to save a few hundred baht whoa re wishing to travel for 35 baht between both airports will be just fine.

"The airport's location also makes it conducive to further travel..."

Further travel to where - a shopping spree at Central Ladprao?

Can't believe how so-called executives can be so completely stupid and dimwitted!!!

"The airport's location also makes it conducive to further travel..."

Further travel to where - a shopping spree at Central Ladprao?

Can't believe how so-called executives can be so completely stupid and dimwitted!!!

It's easier to catch a bus back to Chiang Mai when you arrive at DM rather than at Swampy in case you forgot your toothbrush up there before boarding the plane south. That should be rather obvious, shouldn't it?

Taxis are cheap enough that the lack of public transportation should present no problem. I am sure that the cab drivers will appreciate the newly-found business.

How about connection flights? Have to travel a few hours from 1 side of town to the other.

No more Air Asia for me.

I rather pay a bit more and travel from Suvarnabhumi (assuming flights are cheaper from Don Muang since they are going to pay much less for airport usage now).

Where else in the major cities of the world are there connecting flights using two different airports?

I don't believe there are any.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

What about Thai Air? This is gonna cause problems for those returning from home and going onwards to Chaingmai and Phuket etc.... Could well mean a night in BKK in some cases! Around one hour plus to get from one airport to the other at least!!!

Don't quite understand your question about Thai Air.

If Air Asia is not convenient for you then you are free to patronize another airline.

That is the beautify of a competitive marketplace.

Very bad news indeed. I don't see any other options than changing to an airline that flies from Swampy. Spending extra time and money getting to Don Mueang isn't an option. Thai Airways will obviously earn a lot from this.

Please explain why you see this as bad news.

It might be great if this helps Air Asia maintain its low prices. And, if you don't want to spend the extra time and money getting to Don Mueang, of course you are free to use another airline.

Taxis are cheap enough that the lack of public transportation should present no problem. I am sure that the cab drivers will appreciate the newly-found business.

Taxis are cheap, but will still run up to 2 x 500 baht per journey for many when motorway taxes are included (from Bang Na, the tax is 105 baht each way, cheapest but not fastest route). For those of us who travel at least monthly, that's more than 10,000 baht per year. But worse still is that the travel time is completely unpredictable, which means one has to add an hour safety margin in case of rain, traffic jams etc. Then there's even more traffic added to Bangkok's streets and motorways. Not what this city needs.

Edited by zakk9

Very bad news indeed. I don't see any other options than changing to an airline that flies from Swampy. Spending extra time and money getting to Don Mueang isn't an option. Thai Airways will obviously earn a lot from this.

Please explain why you see this as bad news.

It might be great if this helps Air Asia maintain its low prices. And, if you don't want to spend the extra time and money getting to Don Mueang, of course you are free to use another airline.

You said it yourself; spending extra time and money to use a budget airline. That doesn't make much sense, does it?

How about connection flights? Have to travel a few hours from 1 side of town to the other.

No more Air Asia for me.

I rather pay a bit more and travel from Suvarnabhumi (assuming flights are cheaper from Don Muang since they are going to pay much less for airport usage now).

Air Asia is a point to point cheapo carrier.

They also used to be very convenient. Not so anymore. Being cheap doesn't help much if one has to spend a lot more time and money going to the airport. There must be more to this than hits the news. Air Asia is one of the few budget airlines that have been willing to pay the cost of flying to the main airports. The rosy painted press releases are there for a reason, but I'm afraid the long term effect will be very negative for them.

You say that they used to be very convenient. I am sure that for every person who feels that the move is inconvenient there is another who feels it is convenient.

Probably all comes out in the wash.

The champagne most be flowing at Thai Airways headquarters today they just got back a lot of business they lost to AA.

I usually fly AA because it saves me a few hours at BKK connecting to my domestic flight, from here on out I am only flying Thai when you count all the fees and all Thai is not that more expensive and adding transport cost and time between DMK and BKK and I am guessing I am not the only one not wanting to go cross town.

Perhaps the connecting traveler is not Air Asia's target consumer. Edited by jshorts

What about Thai Air? This is gonna cause problems for those returning from home and going onwards to Chaingmai and Phuket etc.... Could well mean a night in BKK in some cases! Around one hour plus to get from one airport to the other at least!!!

Don't quite understand your question about Thai Air.

If Air Asia is not convenient for you then you are free to patronize another airline.

That is the beautify of a competitive marketplace.

Do you really think that Air Asia went voluntarily? Thailand isn't a free, competitive market place. Never was and probably never will be.

• Like 1

I hope they will refund tickets in case the airport is closed again due to the floods. Anyone knows what their policy says in cases like this?

Why don't you call the airline and ask them?

Please let us know what you find out.

No more Air Asia for me.

Air Asia is a point to point cheapo carrier.

They also used to be very convenient. Not so anymore. Being cheap doesn't help much if one has to spend a lot more time and money going to the airport. There must be more to this than hits the news. Air Asia is one of the few budget airlines that have been willing to pay the cost of flying to the main airports. The rosy painted press releases are there for a reason, but I'm afraid the long term effect will be very negative for them.

You say that they used to be very convenient. I am sure that for every person who feels that the move is inconvenient there is another who feels it is convenient.

Probably all comes out in the wash.

If you prefer sitting 1-2 hours in a traffic jam rather than half an hour on the train, it probably "all comes out in the wash", but some people don't. Even "in the old days" before Swampy opened, the travel time to DM was unpredictable. Now, it's much worse. 7-8 months ago, you couldn't get there at all unless you had a boat.

• Like 1

Great question...has this been addresses?

Yes..great question indeed...you make one decision like this and it opens the floodgates to a deluge of other problems that will result from this decision

What other problems do you anticipate?

Yet more sterling reporting by the local news media...

No mention at all of transit connections between the two airports...

And no mention of the fact that DM was totally flooded for weeks, and possibly will be again later this year.

Why would an announcement of an airlines' change of location require mention of a transit connection or of historical environmental conditions?

That would not be on-topic.

would be great if air asia allowed baggage transfers at don muang on its flights from places like singapore to upcountry destinations like chiangmai. it's always been a drawback when connecting with air asia that you have to clear customs and immigration in bangkok just to check in again for an onward domestic flight.

Imagine the costs involved if customs allowed baggage transfers from Don Mueang's international flights to upcountry destinations. New customs facilities would have to be built and staffed at all of those locations.

I think its plus+, compared to A.A."s principal hub in kuala lumpar, don muang is 1st class,the tourists will do their domestic transfers with thai from swampy, A.A. can expand their base from D.M., as well as nok air doing short hop international flights creating cheaper fares to phom phen, luang prabang,vietnam, all within 90 minutes flight time, the traveller is the winner, personally I always need a couple of days R&R in banga's after that long flight from aus, & I prefer D.M. far less hassle.

cheersclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

After reading back thru comments,there"s some wingeing, moaning people on this site who dont look @ the positives, not to mention the boost in jobs for the locals, & more visitors.

Edited by songhklasid

I've actually emailed them via their "feedback- contact us" link and was highly critical of this decision.

Any advantage they had over Thai Airways is now lost. Most tourist flying in on their national carrier and then flying domestic with AirAsia to their holiday destination, will now just fly with Thai Airaways. I find it a very strange business decision and can only see a decline in their profits.

Even if they pass on their lower operating costs to the consumer, in the form of cheaper flights, you have the cost of transport and the time in traffic to go from one airport to the other which would negate any savings to fly with AirAsia. Many people may now also have to stay a night in a Bangkok hotel in order to get their connecting flight.

I would encourage others to also email their disapproval to them.

And, if enough people email their disapproval to them, do you feel that they will return to Swampy?

sure there will be connections between both .. but I'm sure it will be 'up to the passengers' to pay for it. rolleyes.gif

Most important is that AirAsia can advertise for flights starting with 150 Baht - without ever having had to deal with any lawsuit so far, amazing!

Finally a smart decision that should have been made 5 years ago !

And nobody mind foreigners who come from abroad and have to travel between both airports, if they don't llike it they should take a bus to their final destination !