Phuket Man Critically Injured In Head-On Motorbike Smash

webfact

Phuket man critically injured in head-on motorbike smash

Phuket Gazette

b1.jpeg

Phuket Kusoldharm Foundation workers prepare the unconscious Mr Chamni for transport to Thalang Hospital. Photo by Thawit Bilabdullar.

b2.jpeg

Both Honda motorbikes were badly damaged in the head-on collision in Thalang District, Phuket last night. Photo by Thawit Bilabdullar.

PHUKET: -- A Thalang man is in critical condition at Vachira Phuket Hospital after suffering head injuries sustained in a head-on collision between two motorbikes last night.

Thalang Police were notified of the accident at the Baan Lipon u-turn on Thepkrasattri Road at 9:15pm.

Rushing to the scene with Kusoldharm Foundation workers, they found 40-year-old Chamni Ninyang lying unconscious on the pavement surrounded by onlookers.

The other party to the accident, Wikanda Muankhamla, was only slightly injured.

Miss Wikanda, who appeared to be in her late 20s, told police she was heading southbound towards the Phuket Heroines' Monument when the late model Honda Dream ridden by Mr Chamni cut across her path. She didn't see the motorbike approach because its headlight was not illuminated, she told police before being sent to hospital for treatment.

Neither party to the accident was wearing a crash helmet at the time.

Both motorbikes were very badly damaged in the crash.

Rescue workers gave Mr Chamni oxygen and carefully placed him on a stretcher with a head brace, then rushed him to Thalang Hospital. Doctors there told rescue workers his vital signs were stable and he stood a good chance of survival.

A rescue worker at the scene said Mr Chamni's most serious injury was a large wound to his head, which hit the pavement hard. He also suffered a broken arm and other injuries.

"He would have been spared such serious injury had he been wearing a crash helmet," he observed.

Mr Chamni was quickly transferred to the better-equipped Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16269.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-26

Why is this particular accident featured in the news? I only ask because I witnessed the aftermath of a fatal hit and run and actually watched the young lad pass away on the road before the emergency services could arrive in Phuket a few months ago and it wasn't on any news or in any paper anywhere.

I'm not saying this accident should not be in the news, I mean every accident, especially one where somebody dies, should be.

Officially and unofficially, how many fatal traffic accidents are there in Phuket every day? And how many in Thailand total?

I always try to make my gf more aware of how dangerous the roads are here by telling her but I've forgotten if approx. 30 deaths a day is all of Thailand or just Phuket.

Edited by KunMatt

Why is this particular accident featured in the news? I only ask because I witnessed the aftermath of a fatal hit and run and actually watched the young lad pass away on the road before the emergency services could arrive in Phuket a few months ago and it wasn't on any news or in any paper anywhere.

I'm not saying this accident should not be in the news, I mean every accident, especially one where somebody dies, should be.

Officially and unofficially, how many fatal traffic accidents are there in Phuket every day? And how many in Thailand total?

I always try to make my gf more aware of how dangerous the roads are here by telling her but I've forgotten if approx. 30 deaths a day is all of Thailand or just Phuket.

around 12,000 deaths a year in traffic accidents in whole of Thailand

Phuket is on average about 1 death every 2 days.

She didn't see the motorbike approach because its headlight was not illuminated, she told police before being sent to hospital for treatment.

I have seen people driving at night many times without their lights on, usually because they don't work. Maybe while the police are stopping people to check for licenses and helmets, they should check to see if their lights are working properly as well.

Good point.

"She didn't see the motorbike approach because its headlight was not illuminated, she told police."

That sounds unbelievable. Usually only the rear is dark.

Lots of bikes are ridden with a burnt-out front bulb. And the Honda Dreams come with a front basket, so if one puts stuff in that basket, like many do, the front headlight is blocked, like many are. Hard to see them Dreams coming!

Not at all unbelievable.

"Neither party to the accident was wearing a crash helmet at the time."

Well there you go.

During the day in the towns helmets are worn by nearly 100% of riders and passengers. After dark it drops to about 5% most places on Phuket.

"Neither party to the accident was wearing a crash helmet at the time."

Well there you go.

During the day in the towns helmets are worn by nearly 100% of riders and passengers. After dark it drops to about 5% most places on Phuket.

again the part time police force in action ... the cops vanish after dark , in the rain , when its too hot , at lunch time , public holidays , if the soccer is on ... they are a joke !!! it would be interesting to see if the govt is serious about sorting crime on Phuket, imo the first thing to do is find out how many cops on phuket ,actually passed the police training courses let alone exams ... secondly how many cops have business interests on Phuket ....

• Like 1

It could be the mirror syndrome at play here. How many times have you been walking towards someone & you have to step aside, you step left & the other person steps right. Probably the first accident I ever saw here was two motorcyclists heading towards each other on the side of the road on a clear day yet they were unable to avoid each other.

"He would have been spared such serious injury had he been wearing a crash helmet," he observed

Correct and if he had fixed his headlights, there might not have been an accident in the first place. whistling.gif

I see young 'locals' flying around Samui after dark without any lights, quite often, in fact nightly. But the police never seem to notice things like this !