Shipping A Container To Oz

Jockstar

Me and the wife will be moving to Oz in October and i was wondering if its feasable to send a container with our belongings and some extra stuff that we/wife can sell. Make a a bit of profit and not have to buy new TV etc etc. Any thoughts guys? Would it be worth it? Lets say i'm gonna send some stuff though new could i classify it as personal belongings? I'm just thinking at the moment. Worth it? Anyone actually done it and has any idea of cost? I heard/read somewhere around 30,000 baht for container and then the duty at the other side.

I'll make the inquiries but I can't guarantee any response time. Please be patient. TIT :o

No worries.Thanks. Anyone else out there with info?

PM Axel, he is in the biz. You need to give exact commodity details for duty rates etc.

I will ask a mate of mine for some freight rates as well.

Me and the wife will be moving to Oz in October and i was wondering if its feasable to send a container with our belongings and some extra stuff that we/wife can sell. Make a a bit of profit and not have to buy new TV etc etc. Any thoughts guys? Would it be worth it? Lets say i'm gonna send some stuff though new could i classify it as personal belongings? I'm just thinking at the moment. Worth it? Anyone actually done it and has any idea of cost? I heard/read somewhere around 30,000 baht for container and then the duty at the other side.

Can't help with the container, but you know customs will jump on commercial quantities of anything you send. You would have to make sure it is well disguised as personal property.

What city are you sending it to?

The thing about customs in OZ is that they hit your hip pocket. Alot of people complain about Thai customs, but Australian customs are an expensive pain in the buttocks.

Also, don't send anything down even vaugely agicultural (like a wooden kitchen stirring spoon) as that will require extra close inspection. Anything they do, will incur a cost. The paperwork is also just a bit too bureacratic, so you are basically forced to hire a customs agent to clear everything for you, otherwise you'll spend a couple of days running around doing it yourself. So whatever you pay here, add a couple of hundered aussie dollars to it.

when my father pass away i did send a container from france to australia , everything went smooth and the cost was minimal !

when i was i philipine i bought some antics there and chip to australia , i was hit by fumigation , and many other cost .

You will need to weigh up the cost of shipping your belongings with the cost of buying replacement belongings in Australia.

Unless your TV is an LCD screen it may not be worth the trouble of bringing it. Aussies are throwing away their old TV sets by the truckload, and you can pick them up off the streets for free.

Besides, the Govt plan to do away with analogue transmission by 2008. (Can't see it happening though)

Furniture, both new and second hand, can be bought from a multitude of auction rooms. Very cheap.

Cooking utensils etc. can fit in an extra suitcase.

If the things that you intend to sell are in new condition, you may have to pay duty on them. If they are second hand things, you won't get much for them. You could possibly get more by selling them in Thailand.

Something for you to think about anyway. I hope your transfer goes smoothly.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

CL = container load, LCL = less than container load

will measures with qbm and/or weight, you´ll

free to send your goods via sea, via air,

very fast via DHL, TNT, etc.. up2u.

easiest thing in the whole kingdom i think.

If someone is offering "services" about this

do not accept if there is money involved

over 5000 thb, because it´s childs play..

BTW, i haven´t never been cheated at thai custom,

but instead i have 2 motorbikes in the Aussie custom

allmost three year now. Those bxxxxxxx !

The only reason why Aussie customs would hold a bike, would be if you were doing something wrong.Aussie customs are not corrupt like Thai customs. :o

Edited by chuchok

What city are you heading for Jock? I can help with agents on the west coast. I would talk to an experienced person here before packing and send your stuff. The advice above about electrical goods hold true, it may be cheaper to buy here than to ship. As to what you are trying to sell, make sure there is a market there that is not saturated by Chinese products, they are ripping the heart out of many small import groups.

Just to add to the confusion. Au customs have just (in the last 3 months) introduced new procedures and software, it was introduced with no ramp time, ie no live testing. I believe things are getting better, but the paperwork that used to take an experienced customs agent 15 minutes now takes over 1 hour.

There was major panic in the lead up to Xmas as the backlog looked like it was going to be still on the warf for the easter sales.

Jockstar, you might have a look on this:

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/output.cfm?...15E4BDD#whatare

Generally, household goods and personal effects are allowed duty free entry, provided that they have been owned and used by you for at least twelve (12) months prior to importation and provided you are a returning citizen or move to Australia on valid visa.

So bear in mind, it must look USED. Too often, people do buy some stuff just before packing up and leave it in the original sales carton, customs inspectors know how to look for this.

As for cost, difficult to say, but a 20' - container costs oceanfreight, only around Baht

40-50,000 from Bangkok to Sydney.

Before that you might need somebody to actually pack up everything into seaworthy cartons etc.

Most of this can be done at your home, takes about 1 - 1.5 days. The cartons are than trucked to a packing station for loading into the container. Costs for this will include all local truckings, export customs clearance, delivery onto the ship, detailled packing list, fumigation report etc. etc.

Usually, packing people want to see everything in advance during a survey and give you an estimated quotation. Difficult to say what this will be, but an estimated guess from your house up to the ship another Baht 50,000.

Add. costs for the customs broker in OZ and delivery to inland plus evtl. refumigation as instructed by customs or destroying (hope not) of illegal items.

Do not include any alcohol, customs officers are nervous when finding (even half empty) bottles.

Finally, do not forget to cover insurance, premium around 2-2.5 % of the value including packing, shipping and insurance premium to cover all risks from house to house.

You can do the packing by yourself, but will not get an insurance in such case, except for basic risks, like total loss, ship's accident.

As said, without seeing what you want to have packed and shipped, difficult to estimate, but a full serviced 20' sets you back by about Baht 100,000 + costs in Australia and evtl. duty.

A 20'container is inside (nearly) 20' long, 8.5 x 8.0 width and height and gives you actually abt. 25-27 cubic meter to be stowed.

If less, can be packed for LCL (less than container load).

Hope this gives an idea, the figures are just out of experience and do vary considering what has to be packed, glass ware, bulky furniture etc. etc.