Farang Working As A Bib

ChiangMaiTiger

I was at a live music venue this evening when low and behold two BIB walk in.

This place is fully licensed, serves alcohol and is popular with both Thais and farangs. Anyway they report to the owner they are here to check to see if there is farangs illegally working the stage ala Guitarman and North Gate. There wasn't so everyone had a laugh and they went on their merry way.

Big deal you may think but one of them was a 100% farang. Fully decked out in full BIB kit with fruit salad and trimmings to boot.

He definitely was not one of them 'Tourist Police Volunteers' you see hanging around Changklan Rd, nor was he anything else than a mirror image of the 100% Thai guy next to him.

So does anyone know what gives? Do they have farangs in their order or are they able to rent-a-farang from somewhere to deal with such matters?

It was probably my son, who is a policeman and the other policeman with him possibly his cousin.

My wife is very fair skinned of Chinese origin and my son takes after my side of the family, he even has blue eyes and could easily be taken for a full blown farang.

He has been on duty since 5.00 last night and I have no idea what time his shift ends.

Hope no one gave him a hard time.

He must tell you some amazing stories beetlejuice...................you should get him to join TV, the membership would make him very welcome smile.png

I'll get my coat.

My son, PC Beetlejuice, is a Thai visa member but hardly gets time to participate.

He just makes note of what is said in the posts, so that anything that is said, can be written down and used in evidence against them.

He would end up with writers cramp, some of the attempts at humour on here are criminal coffee1.gif

Anyway, that's interesting that your boy is a policeman, for all the criticism that they get I reckon they must see, and get involved in, some traumatic situations. It's not a job I would fancy

Edited by theblether

Not quite sure why a farang would get involved in BIB.

With the uniform comes the job, i.e. collecting tea money etc.

Maybe he needs the 8,000 Baht a month or perhaps he volunteers for the power trip.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Maybe he needs the 8,000 Baht a month or perhaps he volunteers for the power trip.

You didn't actually bother to read the replies above, right? ;)

• Like 2

There is indeed one farang policeman that I have seen a couple of times. He is an older guy (late 50's-early 60's I would say). I believe that he is an Australian. Once in our moobaan, he and a Thai officer were responding to a call. The g/f was talking to the Thai officer. She said that he told her that the other officer might as well be Thai as he understands the culture so well and speaks Thai and Northern Thai like he was born here. He also said that the farang policeman participated in practically every case of eviction or ejection in C.M. where a Thai/farang relationship was concerned and one needed to be physically removed from a residence or business.

I honestly don't remember if they were wearing the brown or the blue uniforms but the farang policeman was indeed armed.

A friend of mine in Phuket, an Aussie with a few bars was made a BIB, badge, gun the lot. Apparently it was a surprise to him, he was nominated due to his respect with other bar owners, tourists and the local community.

He sort of became like the "village father" despite the fact he isnt even 40 yet. I am not sure of his role though, probably part time as he has a chain of bars to run.

I know there are a few falangs that work like this but I have met the police volunteer you are talking about an Australian. He helped me out of a situation i found my self in with the police and i could not be more grateful. like may people on here i did not understand why people would volunteer there time and was as guilty as some of you of writing rubbish about these decent people that work for the police. This man helped me and was not on any power trip. he worked for 25 years for the Australia Federal Police including a posting in Thailand for many years he speaks fluent Thai and has a good understanding of Thai law he works with and under the instruction of the Thai police.

Believe me and I am talking to you anti police thinking members if you need a translator and friendly face when you have been arrested over a miss-understanding and you have dug your self in a hole you will be his best friend when he helps clear the problem up. But if you have done wrong he will have no problems aiding your arrest and good on him.

These guys have work permits if you don't believe that go to the police station and ask to see them for yourselfs.

Also playing music is allowed if you go to the city hall and get the relevant permit 15 days a year at no charge or if you want to play music daily get a one year permit not sure of the price but i would think the satisfaction of being legal would be great peace of mind.

• Like 1

That's all I need to know, he's the real deal and he is no one's son.

I know there are a few falangs that work like this but I have met the police volunteer you are talking about an Australian. He helped me out of a situation i found my self in with the police and i could not be more grateful. like may people on here i did not understand why people would volunteer there time and was as guilty as some of you of writing rubbish about these decent people that work for the police. This man helped me and was not on any power trip. he worked for 25 years for the Australia Federal Police including a posting in Thailand for many years he speaks fluent Thai and has a good understanding of Thai law he works with and under the instruction of the Thai police.

A friend of mine in Phuket, an Aussie with a few bars was made a BIB, badge, gun the lot. Apparently it was a surprise to him, he was nominated due to his respect with other bar owners, tourists and the local community.

He sort of became like the "village father" despite the fact he isnt even 40 yet. I am not sure of his role though, probably part time as he has a chain of bars to run.

No need for tea money. Ideal situation. Did he earn the respect of other bar owners through threats?

So what is the deal with playing music as a farang in CM? You flat out can't do it at all, anywhere, or you can't do it if you are being paid to do it or accepting tips?

I'd hate to think that a foreign man is forbidden to sit down with a guitar and play a song or two.

Sadly cynical view, IMHO. sad.png

• Like 2

Believe me and I am talking to you anti police thinking members if you need a translator and friendly face when you have been arrested over a miss-understanding and you have dug your self in a hole you will be his best friend when he helps clear the problem up. But if you have done wrong he will have no problems aiding your arrest and good on him.

These guys have work permits if you don't believe that go to the police station and ask to see them for yourselfs.

Also playing music is allowed if you go to the city hall and get the relevant permit 15 days a year at no charge or if you want to play music daily get a one year permit not sure of the price but i would think the satisfaction of being legal would be great peace of mind.

Furthermore, basically no musician is going to be bothered for sitting in informally and not frequently as a guest. The 15-day permission is obtainable and would apply basically in situations of repeated instances of playing.

So what is the deal with playing music as a farang in CM? You flat out can't do it at all, anywhere, or you can't do it if you are being paid to do it or accepting tips?

I'd hate to think that a foreign man is forbidden to sit down with a guitar and play a song or two.

I don't think it would be a problem if he offered the place of business 25 baht for the opportunity to practice in front of others.whistling.gif