Emotional Quotient Of Thai Kids Falling: Survey

webfact

EQ

Emotional quotient of Thai kids falling: survey

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai children's emotional quotient (EQ) scores have been falling, dropping from 186.42 in 2002 and 179.58 in 2007 to 169.72, according to the 2011 surveys by the Public Health Ministry's Mental Health Department.

EQ is a measure of the ability to identify, assess, and control the emotions of oneself, of others, and of groups.

"They are less happy. They are seeing more competition," Rajanukul Institute director Panpimol Wipulakorn said. The latest survey covered 5,325 children aged between six and 11 years old in Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Rayong, Samut Sakhon, Uttaradit, Nakhon Sawan, Nakhon Ratchasima, Roi Et, Krabi and Pattani.

According to Panpimol, raw scores from the 2011 survey revealed that Thai children's EQ scores were lower than the normal range.

The normal ranges require the scores to fluctuate between 50 and 100. However, Thai children's average EQ scores stood at just 45.12 according to the 2011 survey.

On adjustment to problems, the average scores stood at 46.65. On emotional control, the average scores were 46.50. On moral sense self satisfaction, the average scores were 45.65. On consideration for and understanding of other people's feelings, the children scored 45.65 on average. On emotional adjustment, they earned 45.23.

Panpimol said if categorised by region, children in the South had the highest EQ scores (45.95). In the North, children's average EQ scores stood at 45.84. In Bangkok, children's average EQ scores were 45.62. In the Central region, the average scores were 44.38. In the Northeast, children scored just 44.04 on emotional quotient.

Asked why the northeastern children scored the lowest in the EQ area, Panpimol said research had not yet been conducted to examine relevant factors.

"But I believe it has something to do with the fact that many of the children in the Northeast are growing up far away from their parents who have become migrant workers in big cities. They may live with their grandparents but some elderly people have economic and health problems, which can affect their upbringing," she said.

Rajanagarindra Child and Adolescent Mental Health Institute director Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin said it was bad news that Thai children's EQ scores have been falling.

"But EQ can improve. If children get proper care from families, schools, and the society, their EQ can be better," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-27

"They are less happy. They are seeing more competition," Rajanukul Institute director Panpimol Wipulakorn said. The latest survey covered 5,325 children aged between six and 11 years old

in the kindergarden?

Edited by dingdang

But EQ can improve. If children get proper care from families

Families hold the key. It's through parental education with resulting improved parenting skills that will boost their children's EQ.

For the love of Buddha, stop chasing kindergarten-aged children around the yard with bowls of food trying to spoon-feed them.

Is but one example.

• Like 1

"They are less happy. They are seeing more competition," Rajanukul Institute director Panpimol Wipulakorn said. The latest survey covered 5,325 children aged between six and 11 years old

in the kindergarden?

Yes. Even 3 year olds in anuban 1 have to endure a spate of mid term and final exams! No wonder students want to sleep in class by grade 9; they are seriously burned out.

It's not just the E.Q., but I believe I.Q. as well. Even the University students can't seem to control their talking and poor behavior, let alone do ANY critical thinking. They seem to feel if they come to class now and then they will sqeek by enough to barely pass their exams to get their piece of paper. What they still don't fathom is that their piece of paper calling them a graduate won't help them get or keep a job.

If they are still living off Mom and Dad at home putting their hand out to receive money for their material pleasures, they'll have more time for Sanuk on Face Book and social activities at the night clubs. The education and training must start at home with the parents for their to be any changes.

Once again it is the tendency for society here to blame the education system and/or teachers for what their kids aren't able to achieve. Sad.

Edited by Lifer

Huge competition, academically and financially. Exams at age 10 that will influence their ability to go to university. "Donations" on top of school fees. Special school classes in the afternoons. Special private tutoring on weekends to prepare for exams. Their free time, time for recreation, time to relax, family time, all constrained. They have to wake early to go to school because of the traffic gridlock, then get home late after special classes for the same reason. Eat dinner have a shower, do their homwork until late, then repeat the cycle over again. They're exhausted every day, day after day.

The whole system makes it extremely challenging for an individual or the society to stay competitive.

Yes, the preposterous number of hours they spend studying in school & with tutors does next to nothing to develop their genuine abilities and thus their confidence. Their habits as students are not good. It's sad that I have to tell 20-year-old students to take their notebooks out and write down what I've already written on the board (in Thai, no less). Most of them are zombie-students, come to think of it, stultified into a stupor by an extremely poor education system.

Their teachers may have even less confidence in what they're doing, and this get subliminally transferred to the students... and so it's cheat, cheat, cheat, get the right answer, who has the answers, i didn't do the HW who has the answers, someone said they could hack Ajarn Terdsak's email so we can get the answers, did he 'succeed'?.... we have SIX other classes we're taking this semester, we need every shortcut we can get. Rap nong, we have to coddle the incoming freshmen because they need help adjusting to university life even tho they still live at home... they're 17 going on 11. But this is how we socially adjust! and we must do this even though our studies could use some actual attention (oh but that's right Pii Kamlaa gave me the answers to the whole book so mai pen rai I can do it)

Who has time for emotional assessment of one's self, for reflection?

Some kids are brilliant and disciplined and grow like flowers in all this sh!t. I implore them to further their education in the West. Like it or not, it's a ticket to a higher EQ/more fulfilling life

• Like 2

The whole system makes it extremely challenging for an individual or the society to stay competitive.

Yes, the preposterous number of hours they spend studying in school & with tutors does next to nothing to develop their genuine abilities and thus their confidence. Their habits as students are not good. It's sad that I have to tell 20-year-old students to take their notebooks out and write down what I've already written on the board (in Thai, no less). Most of them are zombie-students, come to think of it, stultified into a stupor by an extremely poor education system.

Their teachers may have even less confidence in what they're doing, and this get subliminally transferred to the students... and so it's cheat, cheat, cheat, get the right answer, who has the answers, i didn't do the HW who has the answers, someone said they could hack Ajarn Terdsak's email so we can get the answers, did he 'succeed'?.... we have SIX other classes we're taking this semester, we need every shortcut we can get. Rap nong, we have to coddle the incoming freshmen because they need help adjusting to university life even tho they still live at home... they're 17 going on 11. But this is how we socially adjust! and we must do this even though our studies could use some actual attention (oh but that's right Pii Kamlaa gave me the answers to the whole book so mai pen rai I can do it)

Who has time for emotional assessment of one's self, for reflection?

Some kids are brilliant and disciplined and grow like flowers in all this sh!t. I implore them to further their education in the West. Like it or not, it's a ticket to a higher EQ/more fulfilling life

I can't argue with that

Sad news, if these EQ tests mean anything or have any accuracy.

Even if you factor in a huge margin of error, it means that Thai society is failing its children, and you can't blame the children, the blame falls squarely on the society in general, parents, teachers, media etc

A child that throws a tantrum because he doesn't get an ice-cream is rewarded with an ice-cream, just to shut him up.

When this child becomes an adult, in age only, he still has that me me me me attitude, zero consideration for others.

There is no quick fix for this.

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- Thai children's emotional quotient (EQ) scores have been falling, dropping from 186.42 in 2002 and 179.58 in 2007 to 169.72, according to the 2011 surveys by the Public Health Ministry's Mental Health Department.

I am LMFAO!!!...What I find hilarious is the notion that any Thai has ever had the slightest chance of ever growing emotionally anywhere near the point that you could assign the label of "well adjusted" let alone "adult-like" emotionally to them.....cultural impossibility. Look at the (EQ) of those at the top of Thai society.....the political class and entertainers in particular. Emotional infants run the place....like the Thai soap opera's they watch on the telly.

They need to spend a little more time in the School of Hard Knocks. There are consequences for behavior in the real world. They need to be allowed to fall down and then how to get back up. I am afraid a lot of the kids we see carried around by their parents are being carried in more ways than just physically. There aren't any shortcuts to learning or growing up.

Growing up in the west and all the importance laid on teaching consequences and responsibility at a young age, I am very surprised more Thais don't have much more problems in society when adults. From the parents I have been around with young children, it seems like they are treated as royalty. I see this waiting on them hand and foot go on A LOT longer than it would in the west. However, the kids do seem to take much more responsibility (at least the girls) for their parents when the parents are much older and the kids are adults. On the other hand, in the west it seems like kids are often somewhat dependent on their parents till the day they die be it helping to buy a house or expecting inheritance.

This newspaper story and the survey itself are preposterous. First of all, this is an extremely complex area of psychology and personality and intelligence testing. The terminology used in the story is incorrect and explained incorrectly so as to mislead the readership into believing that it is correct and the overall focus is to determine level of happiness. The Emotional Quotient Inventory is an evaluation and assessment of intelligence by examining an individual's social and emotional strengths and weaknesses.

Any such instant "survey" conducted in Thailand and reported in this manner is preposterous. In fact most Thai surveys are merely agenda driven propaganda posters. They rarely explain what they are actually attempting to do, measure, and what it is actually and "really" based on. Check it out, see for yourself. Comparing the article to what you, a rational reader, can do in 2-3 minutes of research.

So, Thais may have low IQs in general as compared to global averages and other statistics available. Thais may be ill-prepared to cope with societal and business environments effectively and lack decision making skills. One would assume that Thais would be low on the scale, just by simple observation let alone a wealth of data to support this. The issue is the representation of these most complex psychological and intelligence measurements in the way that this newspaper and its sources represent the "instant survey" and its spokespeople and interpreters.

i have been waiting for something like this to come to light for @ ten yrs,.....the whole thai culture {how thais perceive it} has now reached the lowest level possible before drawing my attention to it to an extreme , ....as i expect that , most posters here will remember the thailand of 15-25 yrs ago and the more sincere smiles and service ,we all remenisce about it and ask , '' where did it all go wrong '' ?......it used to be so welcoming , ...we never heard ''the girls'' saying ' <deleted> you ! or <deleted> off , ....unfortunatelly it all seems to be ''our fault '' that thais have taken this ''bad'' language to use with or against us , ...........we , as farang take acceptence to it being the stupid ignorant ppl that we are , without realising that thais use similar words that THEY regard as WORSE than a F or a C'' when they use colourful language ,as it is more personal than ours , ..............it took me alot of coaxing and reasoning to get a thai partener to translate and confide in me the worst thai language {swearin/cursing}...and let me advise anyone thinking of using it NOT TO !, We are guests in their country {weather we feel like it or not}, and to use thai 'swear 'words is MUCH more offensive, .............so dont ask and you wont be able to use it is my advise , .......whatever , ... it will still be '' farangs fault '' even though they can say the same in their 'own' language !

Edited by osiboy

They need to spend a little more time in the School of Hard Knocks. There are consequences for behavior in the real world. They need to be allowed to fall down and then how to get back up. I am afraid a lot of the kids we see carried around by their parents are being carried in more ways than just physically. There aren't any shortcuts to learning or growing up.

Growing up in the west and all the importance laid on teaching consequences and responsibility at a young age, I am very surprised more Thais don't have much more problems in society when adults. From the parents I have been around with young children, it seems like they are treated as royalty. I see this waiting on them hand and foot go on A LOT longer than it would in the west. However, the kids do seem to take much more responsibility (at least the girls) for their parents when the parents are much older and the kids are adults. On the other hand, in the west it seems like kids are often somewhat dependent on their parents till the day they die be it helping to buy a house or expecting inheritance.

best post i've seen from you Nisa !

I don't think the issue of EQ is meant to demean Thais in general, nor to be an indicator of whether Western young adults can buy a house without help from their parents.

The issue, as I see it, is being able to tackle the harder problems in life using problem solving skills. When I was young and didn't do well on a test, it was because: a) the test was too difficult, B) the teacher failed to teach me what I needed to know. As I matured a little, I figured out that it was because I didn't learn what I needed to know. Not doing well helped me to pay closer attention, work harder and be more efficient.

Every day I see young people who aren't allowed to take any responsibility for their own mistakes and behavior. It is always somebody else's fault. It is strongly reinforced by the parents and society. How it looks is better than how it is. Conformity trumps everything.

Some of the Soap Oprahs are pretty violent - but I heard they are moved to later times etc..

Hopefully not too much educational influence is coming from the Thai Soaps - nowdays.

My first thoughts also. Rare indeed are any Thai kids who are not subjected to many hours per week of TV and videos which showcase violence and (probably worse) emotional shipwrecks otherwise known as Thai actors and actresses. Later, they graduate to violent computer games. If nothing else, it inures them to violence, and teaches them that throwing tantrums gains results.

Quick and dirty self-assessments. There are several more sites for those interested to compare results. The questionnaires demand absolutely honest responses, not the ones you think are "right" or "desirable".http://psychology.ab.../bl_eq_quiz.htmhttp://www.ihhp.com/?page=freeEQquiz
Interesting in terms of what somebody might expect in terms of questions.The whole idea of calling this a test is problematic if you expect honest answers and not ones that are perceived to be what somebody else wants. But funny, I took the test on one of the links provided and just marked everything as a 5 and here were the results.

55 - 80: You work in a Sanctuary - a place that welcomes your soul. We are impressed! Congratulations on your exceptional EQ! If you scored in this range, there is a slight caveat however.
You are either extremely high in emotional intelligence or extremely low.
How is this possible? These results may reflect your high level of self-knowledge or your complete lack of it since you must be self-aware to assess yourself accurately...

Here are the results when I marked everything as 3 (middle ground)

45 - 54: Congratulations! You have very high emotional intelligence. This is good news! EQ counts for twice as much as IQ and technical skills combined in determining who will be a star performer. Your level of EQ likely has been and will be a driver of your high performance for years to come. Areas to work on: While you are doing well - don't forget to take time out of your busy day-to-day activities to stop and reflect on what brings you the greatest meaning in your life ...

Interesting to note that the answers didn't change regardless if I entered my date of birth as 1985 or 2009.Although I assume the questions are different when asked of a 6-year old, it still leaves me wondering how you administer this kind of test to a 6-year old, especially if in a classroom. And although it seemed clear this sample test was based on western values, I think it would be over reaching to assume the tests comes in different versions for different cultures.

Edited by Nisa

I can't help feeling that just 40 minutes a day of properly organised sport in school would be extremely beneficial for all kids concerned.

My son is going through the study, extra class exam issues that all kids have to do, so we looked at the situation, and took him to a youth soccer training, 3 nights a week. He is absolutely loving the cameradery, teamwork, and fun of a team sport, that I got out of rugby, and cricket as a kid growing up. People may poo poo what I am saying, but in the Ipad and computer game era, kids are exercising and playing less and less sports whilst appearing to have never ending pressure to succeed in school. People seem to have forgotten to value the sheer enjoyment that kids can get out of playing sport.

• Like 2

Schools vary considerably, your school kids need what you say, a relaxing-time out-sessions and agree in that situ.

I have done 2 terms helping at 2 seperate high schools in the north. Half the time there are no teachers for the classes so it's outside free style-sport 2-3 lessons a day missed. In these situations it is the reverse to your healthy attitute.

I used to ask why -no teacher for the class, admin says they have but the teachers are busy at meetings 5555 haha. So expect teacher time out every day and pupil time out. In the end too much sport, bored kids, nothing much to report to mum at home.

To sum up-depends where--what type of school-- I do believe in larger towns and cities kids gain, in smaller rural areas they lose miserably. BUT there are pockets of rural schools that excel.

Quick and dirty self-assessments. There are several more sites for those interested to compare results. The questionnaires demand absolutely honest responses, not the ones you think are "right" or "desirable".http://psychology.ab.../bl_eq_quiz.htmhttp://www.ihhp.com/?page=freeEQquiz
Interesting in terms of what somebody might expect in terms of questions.The whole idea of calling this a test is problematic if you expect honest answers and not ones that are perceived to be what somebody else wants. But funny, I took the test on one of the links provided and just marked everything as a 5 and here were the results.

55 - 80: You work in a Sanctuary - a place that welcomes your soul. We are impressed! Congratulations on your exceptional EQ! If you scored in this range, there is a slight caveat however.
How is this possible? These results may reflect your high level of self-knowledge or your complete lack of it since you must be self-aware to assess yourself accurately...

45 - 54: Congratulations! You have very high emotional intelligence. This is good news! EQ counts for twice as much as IQ and technical skills combined in determining who will be a star performer. Your level of EQ likely has been and will be a driver of your high performance for years to come. Areas to work on: While you are doing well - don't forget to take time out of your busy day-to-day activities to stop and reflect on what brings you the greatest meaning in your life ...

Interesting to note that the answers didn't change regardless if I entered my date of birth as 1985 or 2009.Although I assume the questions are different when asked of a 6-year old, it still leaves me wondering how you administer this kind of test to a 6-year old, especially if in a classroom. And although it seemed clear this sample test was based on western values, I think it would be over reaching to assume the tests comes in different versions for different cultures.

I wouldn't put much store in on-line tests anyway, especially ones that offer help for a fee.

Did it not cross your mind for a second that there may be traps set in the scoring of these tests, so that anyone who just chooses the fifth option for every question is either retarded or just taking the piss.

These tests require two things, a degree of honesty and a degree of intelligence.

If you answer all the questions honestly and receive a low score, there is a good chance that you are emotionally incapable.

If you are dishonest when answering the questions and still receive a low score, it points to being not only emotionally unstable, but also not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you are dishonest and receive a high score .... future PM material.

I wouldn't put much store in on-line tests anyway, especially ones that offer help for a fee.

Did it not cross your mind for a second that there may be traps set in the scoring of these tests, so that anyone who just chooses the fifth option for every question is either retarded or just taking the piss.

These tests require two things, a degree of honesty and a degree of intelligence.

If you answer all the questions honestly and receive a low score, there is a good chance that you are emotionally incapable.

If you are dishonest when answering the questions and still receive a low score, it points to being not only emotionally unstable, but also not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you are dishonest and receive a high score .... future PM material.

No doubt I wouldn't put much stock in an online test but also wouldn't put too much stock into IQ or EQ tests either as there are too many known problems with them. But I did find it interesting it claims a score of 45 to 54 is high and that if you score exceptionally high they say you are either exceptional or exceptionally low.

By the way, the 5th box was, at least for the first 1/2 of the test (didn't look after that), obviously the best answer for a high score. Don't remember the questions but they were as basic as asking; If somebody was lying on the ground bleeding would you 1) Kick them until they moved out of your way ... .. 5) be concerned and try to offer or get help

Edited by Nisa