Buying A Bike In Bkk

Deserted

Greetings all, I've just sold my bike as transporting it back into Thailand proved to be too much of a hassle. So I'll be looking to pick up something in the city. I would ideally like a mountain bike, though a hybrid of some kind would be okay, and I'd be looking to pay between 5-15,000.

Could someone suggest a store in the city or weblink of where I might be able to pick something up.

I have transported bicycles for touring use, back and forth to Thailand, over the last 17 years. Now we just live here... If you don't want an upmarket/pricey velo from www.probike.com (big shop off Lumphini Park, good for window-shopping), I would go for one of the local LA-bicycle brand machines. There is a (franchise) store on Sukhumwit, near Ekkamai (soi 44, long way out). Plenty of advertising on exterior of store.

Here's a link to start googling https://foursquare.com/v/la-bicycle-shop-pakkred-%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%94/4f01e79e722e0f0773e6d8cb

Most of the supermarkets (Tesco, BigC etc) sell bikes. A 24-gear, basic front suspension, 26" wheel costs 6-8kB, less for 24" wheel etc.Good luck AA

Thanks, yes I've looked at the stuff on sale in tesco and Big C.The bikes seem a bit clunky to me but I certainly don't want to pay over 20k for something out of probike. Is bicycle theft a big problem in Bangkok? Don't mind paying a bit more, say 10-15k for something a bit better, as long as I'm going to keep it.

Bike theft a problem the world over - at least here, with a cheaper bicycle that hasn't been wax polished and is locked with any sort of chain, you should be OK (drunk farangs a bigger hazard than locals).

I just finished 'working' on a friend's bike. "Super X Turbo' - presume he bought it in BigC (???). 26" double-rim wheels, Vbrakes, 2" knobbly tyres, 3x7 trigger-shift gears, bottom-end front suspension, only ~11 kg. A few adjustments were needed (gear range etc.) but this is the sort of thing you pay 5kB in BigC. Get a set of mudguards and always use a helmet, can't go wrong. AA