I Have Gone Galatic...Or Galaxy, You Know What I Mean!

I have just moved on from the digital stone age Nokia to a Samsung S3 and I am of course blown away by this wonder.

While I in general understand Smart phone, I am also smart enough to understand that there is much more to learn.

I have Line, Whatsapp, BBC, Bangkok Post installed, but what other cool apps are on top of ur list?

amazon kindle .... let's you read books in MOBI format

astro file manager ....... for moving files around you device/sd card

battery monitor widget .... tracks the apps using you battery

bia2 free ...... war game

chess free ..... another game

cogs .... puzzle game

dolphin browser ..... much better web browser than the one provided

dropbox ........ uploads your photos to internet storage when you are in wifi contact

facebook ......

go contacts

go launcher

go sms

go switch widget

go taskmanager

google sky map ........ point your screen ant the night sky, and it names everything for you

gps status ....... teppls you how many gps sats you can see

k-9 mail ..... really good email client, can send and receive from multiple accounts

mx player ....... good player receiving streaming media from your PC

national geographic world map ... map of the world

orux maps ...... great for hiking and recording routes

player pro ....... good for playing music and videos

quickpic ......... you can hide your naughty photos from the built-in browser

remote media center ....... media sreaming receiver used in conjunction with mx player (run remote potato server on your PC)

speednavi ..... car satnav

thai dict .........

wifi explorer pro ..... easy transfer of files over wifi from your PC to your galaxy

thaivisa

Edited by TommoPhysicist

amazon kindle

astro file manager

battery monitor widget

bia2 free

chess free

cogs

dolphin browser

dropbox

facebook

go contacts

go launcher

go sms

go switch widget

go taskmanager

google sky map

gps status

k-9 mail

mx player

national geographic world map

orux maps

player pro

quickpic

remote media center

speednavi

thai dict

wifi explorer pro

thaivisa

Ehhhm, Tommy. I have had the phone for 2 days now. I need to be able to walk before I can run, but thanks.

The first (and probably the most useful) app I downloaded on my Galaxy S-1 was Call Confirm. This was because I found it very easy to make unintentional calls by swiping the screen unintentionally. This app requires you to confirm you want to make that call.

Not sure if this still applies for Galaxy S-3 though.

Tommo's, plus:

Medieval Castle Defense (Strategy game)

Of course - Angry Birds (+Rio, Seasons & Space)

Twitter

Instagram

Foursquare

Google+

Appbrain (& web installer)

Visidon Applock (much prefer this to ICS's face recognition)

I'm just learning about these Samsung products as well. Seems there are several S3 phones. Which do you have?

http://www.gsmarena....ame=Samsung S3

I bought a cheap-o tablet a few weeks ago, my first sample of Android. I won't put any personal info, or address book data, on it as I don't trust google: bear in mind these guys make their $$ by gathering user data. At some point I'm going to put some energy into researching how to make it more secure. In the meantime I have turned off location services and login to Android with a gmail account I created just for the tablet. I bought mainly for reading ebooks and entertainment while I'm traveling.

I've tried a lot of apps, many of which were removed after a short time. I like Aldiko reader.

Edited by bendejo

If anyone wants a Galaxy S3 with box not really used as new. I have a spare one send me a PM want 18,900THB for it.

Good saving of 3000THB on the new price (Official Thai model btw)

Edited by negreanu

I think the OP needs to narrow the request, perhaps by sharing the kinds of things they need in Smartphone Apps. The question posed is a bit like asking "Where should I go on vacation?"

There are literally hundreds of blogs, posts, articles - and even threads here - listing the top Android apps, even by segment: personal, productivity, games, travel, utilities,VoIP, messaging, social media, bar code scanners et al.

LBE. this app stops apps from looking at your contacts, sms, phone log, etc etc. Free. You give each app its own permission. You will be surprised how many apps can read your sms!

This application requires a rooted phone - I doubt the OP has rooted their phone. Further it seems like a particularly nasty app. which may be worse than the things it claims to protect against.

http://forum.xda-dev...2&postcount=472

http://androidforums...le-malware.html

Best recommendation: identify the areas that you think your current set fail to address, search for applicable solutions, read up on them BEFORE installing.

I love Flipboard, but it is already installed on the SGS3 - I sideloaded the apk on my SGS2 but it may now be available in the market?

If you are into sports many major events create Android apps - the Wimbledon App. is well executed, much better than the Australian Open, French Open or U.S.G.A. Golf Open apps.

Edited by lomatopo

I'm just learning about these Samsung products as well. Seems there are several S3 phones. Which do you have?

http://www.gsmarena....ame=Samsung S3

I bought a cheap-o tablet a few weeks ago, my first sample of Android. I won't put any personal info, or address book data, on it as I don't trust google: bear in mind these guys make their $$ by gathering user data. At some point I'm going to put some energy into researching how to make it more secure. In the meantime I have turned off location services and login to Android with a gmail account I created just for the tablet. I bought mainly for reading ebooks and entertainment while I'm traveling.

I've tried a lot of apps, many of which were removed after a short time. I like Aldiko reader.

Good question and from the box I got the GT9300MBTTHL. The specs looks pretty much the same for all the S3 models as far as I can see.

I think the OP needs to narrow the request, perhaps by sharing the kinds of things they need in Smartphone Apps. The question posed is a bit like asking "Where should I go on vacation?"

There are literally hundreds of blogs, posts, articles - and even threads here - listing the top Android apps, even by segment: personal, productivity, games, travel, utilities,VoIP, messaging, social media, bar code scanners et al.

LBE. this app stops apps from looking at your contacts, sms, phone log, etc etc. Free. You give each app its own permission. You will be surprised how many apps can read your sms!

This application requires a rooted phone - I doubt the OP has rooted their phone. Further it seems like a particularly nasty app. which may be worse than the things it claims to protect against.

http://forum.xda-dev...2&postcount=472

http://androidforums...le-malware.html

Best recommendation: identify the areas that you think your current set fail to address, search for applicable solutions, read up on them BEFORE installing.

I love Flipboard, but it is already installed on the SGS3 - I sideloaded the apk on my SGS2 but it may now be available in the market?

If you are into sports many major events create Android apps - the Wimbledon App. is well executed, much better than the Australian Open, French Open or U.S.G.A. Golf Open apps.

I am still blown away by this little wonder, so I am open to hear about all kind of interesting apps.

Whatsapp and Line are amazing communication platforms.

I have just discovered that The Economist only works for S2 and not S3 yet. Too bad.

Keep the ideas coming. If anybody with Samsung experience have time to meet for a coffee or beer in Bangkok, please say so, I will be there in a heart beat.

Maybe I should also leave stoneage and replace my old nokia with a samsung.

Short question: I want to buy the TF700t Asus tablet which does not have 3G.

If I buy a modern Smartphone can I use 3G and "share" or "forward" the connection with the tablet over WiFi or anything else?

I have just discovered that The Economist only works for S2 and not S3 yet. Too bad.

This is probably due to an incompatibility with Android 4.0.x. So an SGS2 running 4.0.x may not be able to run "The Economist" whatever that is. Is there anything in the details of the app. which describe the OS requirements?

I've run in to a few apps. which don't seem to work on my SGS2 since upgrading to 4.0.x.

If I buy a modern Smartphone can I use 3G and "share" or "forward" the connection with the tablet over WiFi or anything else?

Yes, with android 2.3 or higher, you can create a Mobile AP, a WiFi connection for up to 5 devices sharing the phone's 3G connection. Having said that, a phone may not make the most efficient router/bridge, and this app. will drain the battery in minutes rather than hours.

Edited by lomatopo

Yes you can use the phone as a hotspot...However, you'll quickly find that your tablet is useless without internet - meaning that while it will work, it's not practical for extended use.Best to get a wifi set up at home - if you are able to get wired internet (3bb, tot, whoever) simply install a wireless access point and use it for both your phone and tablet (MUCH cheaper than 3G data). When you're out and about and you need internet on the tablet, if you're nowhere there's a wifi you can access you can use the phone's hotspot feature for short periods.

Yes you can use the phone as a hotspot...However, you'll quickly find that your tablet is useless without internet - meaning that while it will work, it's not practical for extended use.Best to get a wifi set up at home - if you are able to get wired internet (3bb, tot, whoever) simply install a wireless access point and use it for both your phone and tablet (MUCH cheaper than 3G data). When you're out and about and you need internet on the tablet, if you're nowhere there's a wifi you can access you can use the phone's hotspot feature for short periods.

Thanks! Yes at home I have WIFI. I only thought when I travel somewhere. Now I have an "aircard" for the laptop which works well. It is also a great help in the office when the wired internet does not work.

Such a USB device would be my favorite solution, but unfortunately the TF700t has no USB connector......It is a bit disturbing that they didn't add a USB as it would be very nice to have.

Hi

I have a 7 inch Galaxy tab , its a USA model and I would like to add a Thai keyboard and also keep the English keyboard,

I see in the Google App store there are many Thai keyboard apps , which is the best ?

and one that you can toggle between the 2 keyboards

thanks for your advise

BK

Edited by BKKdreaming

Hi

I have a 7 inch Galaxy tab , its a USA model and I would like to add a Thai keyboard and also keep the English keyboard,

I see in the Google App store there are many Thai keyboard apps , which is the best ?

and one that you can toggle between the 2 keyboards

thanks for your advise

BK

Plug it into your PC and use Kies to add the extra language.

The best one is the one that Samsung made for it, it toggles using the 'world' button.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

• 2 weeks later...

i had a s2 and found speednavi the best for thailand

how do i get this for the s3 though.

no info on there site about purchase .. unable to transfer fro, s2 to s3 with it working as the hardware id is not the same

i'm using sygic for now but prefer speednavi by far

i've emailed speednavi asking this but despite there good software there support is known to blow,,

I have kies running but do not see how to add Thai to the keyboard. Can you give help finding and installing it.

Thanks

Sorry confused with my Blackberry

Samsung

Bring up the soft keyboard, press the settings 'gear' (bottom right), press 'input language'

If Thai is there have Thai and English both ticked to toggle on the keyboard using the 'world' key.

Edited by TommoPhysicist