What Kind Of Biker Are You?

coppe88

Let me introduce myself, I'm a management student from Italy who loves bikes and currently owns a Ducati Monster 696.

As a part of my academic path, I am working on a research project on motorcycles in Thailand. Particularly I would like to understand what kind of people own motorcycles in Thailand.

For this purpose, I am kindly asking the users in this forum to complete a five-minutes online survey. It's going to be very easy and it would mean a great help to me and my work.

So if you live in Thailand and you own one or more motorcycles, please, click on the link below and answer the questions.

Thank you very much for your time.

( actually, the forum doesn't allow me to post links... anyone knows how to solve this problem? Alternatively, you can PM me and I'll give you the survey link, sorry for this inconvenience !! )

AND Ride safely ;-)

I can do it but all the members of this forum are foreigners therefore it would not be an academically accurate survey. Let's say, it will not reflect anything about Thai people.

Because, the mentality, style and needs of Thai citizens might be completely different from the foreigner point of view.

loserlazer, you do have a point. However, I'm not just interested in the Thai motorcyclist as such, I'm more interested in the premium motorcycle user in Thailand. That is to say, I'm chiefly interested in understanding who buys and uses premium motorbikes (aka "big bikes"). That is why an “expat” community seems to me a good place to start asking ;-)

In addition, the research is more "explorative" than scientific. So, any reply is more than welcome.

BTW, I'm sending you a PM with the link. Cheers

On the adding link thing:

it is custom for forums that require 5 posts before you can make attachment / or add link.

In addition, this particular forum can't paste, so you'll have to use Ctrl C / Ctrl V

to copy/paste, -when you have your 5 posts

In my view, based on observations, there are two kinds of "premium" motorcycle purchasers. One type seeks performance and value. That is, they want the most perfomance they can get for their money, but will not throw away unlimited amounts of cash -- there has to be some amount of reason. The other type buys whatever vehicle will give the most "face," with cost being absolutely no object. Most farangs are in the first group. Most of the second group are the Thai kids from the ultra rich families in Bangkok that run the country. This explains why new BMW motorcycles, which cost more than double here what they cost in the west, are purchased by young Thai men from Bangkok. And when you see these guys, their bikes are decked out with every available option and the riders are togged in brand new matching leathers or spanking new BMW branded clothing. I do not see how your study, if directed primarily to English speakers, can possible reflect the reality of the situation. Now, if you cannot write in Thai, and you modify your study to encompass only "expat motorcyclists in Thailand," you might get some traction.

Harley Davidson's are very popular with Thais and expats, the picture was taken on a trip to Khao Yai National park where we (HOG Thailand) meet this group of Thais on shinny relatively new HD's.

Thais loves HD's, everywhere I gone on mine people was waving and giving the thumps up and sometimes the police even salute you despite I was passing them at +120 km/h, he-he.

On another trip with HOG (Harley Owner Group Thailand) we were 8 bikes but only 4 made the green light at an intersection but the police hold the traffic back so we could all pass in one gothumbsup.gif.

post-69360-0-46341600-1340928035_thumb.j

Edited by guzzi850m2

I am a local school teacher (well, I feel like I am a local... been here that long)...

I ride a Kawasaki ER6F, due to the incredible value it gives in this country, not to mention the burnt orange colour it has.

I ride about 12000km a year, rain or sun, I don't care. I am going to upgrade this year or early next year.

I change bikes every year or so. Cost has not been a deciding factor before this bike as it is legal, with book and warranty from the factory.

anything else you want to know?

• Like 1

Harley Davidson's are very popular with Thais and expats, the picture was taken on a trip to Khao Yai National park where we (HOG Thailand) meet this group of Thais on shinny relatively new HD's.

Thais loves HD's, everywhere I gone on mine people was waving and giving the thumps up and sometimes the police even salute you despite I was passing them at +120 km/h, he-he.

On another trip with HOG (Harley Owner Group Thailand) we were 8 bikes but only 4 made the green light at an intersection but the police hold the traffic back so we could all pass in one gothumbsup.gif.

When I lived in England I thought I'd give the Harley experience a go and bought an XR1200. This automatically gave me membership to HOG and although not one for group rides I thought I'd go on one of the local chapters Sunday runs. At the meeting point I was surrounded by accountants with attitude dressed in all the overpriced apparel including chaps and fingerless mitts. We stopped at a pub and they all bought bottles of Budweiser. When I stepped into the garden with a pint of London Pride in my hand I was met with universal disapproving stares. I kept the bike for a while and it wasn't at all bad within it's limitations, but I found the 'scene' excruciating. Each to their own but it wasn't for me.
  • Like 1

Went from PCX to CBR, now XL1200C. Probably the best HD for me, since I use it everyday I can. Which means plenty of city riding, so it's a purrrfect size for city streets in CM.

Reason? It's the bike I saw and wanted in the US, and really like the classic looks, (I DIDN'T CHANGE THE EXHAUST either). I am not part of any club, but will usually hooked up with a couple of friends and just go for a ride.

Edited by mic6ard

When I lived in England I thought I'd give the Harley experience a go and bought an XR1200. This automatically gave me membership to HOG and although not one for group rides I thought I'd go on one of the local chapters Sunday runs. At the meeting point I was surrounded by accountants with attitude dressed in all the overpriced apparel including chaps and fingerless mitts. We stopped at a pub and they all bought bottles of Budweiser. When I stepped into the garden with a pint of London Pride in my hand I was met with universal disapproving stares. I kept the bike for a while and it wasn't at all bad within it's limitations, but I found the 'scene' excruciating. Each to their own but it wasn't for me.

IMOH those guys are the types that really ruin H-D for the others. They just goes way OTT with the HOG "culture". Personally I'll rather get a pint of Newcastle Brown or anything but definitaly not a Bud.

IMOH those guys are the types that really ruin H-D for the others. They just goes way OTT with the HOG "culture". Personally I'll rather get a pint of Newcastle Brown or anything but definitaly not a Bud.

I agree, a good British pint any day over a lousy Bud.

Some HD riders are too fanatic I agree again 100% but I generally found the HOG Thailand chapter guys pretty relaxed about it and that's the way it should be. If we see a big bike of any brand having problems we always stop and ask if he needs help, its about riding a motorbike and enjoy it no matter which brand you ride.

Sadly I don't own a big bike anymore due to family commitments but it was very hard for me seeing another man riding away on "my" Road King.

A 1200 HD Sporster is very high on the wish list, well lets see.

@TongueThaied: I don't speak or write Thai, and I understand this somewhat limits the research I'm attempting. But sometimes you just have to do with the limited resources you're given. Luckily I can have conversations like this, that certainly give fresh input to my understanding of the Thai situation.

Your categorization makes sense to me, but what do other people think about this? Do you agree that in Thailand big bikes are bought by these two categories of people - farangs that try to maximize the value and performance on the one hand, and, on the other hand, very affluent Thai kids that want to look as cool as they can regardless of the money they will spend? Is there anything else in the middle?

@guzzi850m2: so you're saying that HDs are recognized and to some extent well liked in Thailand. Let me ask you a question. Do you think this also means people see your bikes as an aspirational good - i.e. something they will buy as soon as they can afford it? Or just as something fancy and weird that you say hi to, but in the same way you would say hi to a guy dressed like a chicken in a downtown intersection in your city back home? Do you think Thailand is developing some kind of bike culture in the western sense?

And thank you to all those that already took my survey !!! I really appreciate it!!!

Edited by coppe88

Most every one has the grocery getter or 7/11 bike, under your survay this is the bike I use the most. But lots of us have more bikes for real riding. Long distance bike, maybe an off raod bike, a spare for guest. Bike for the wife.

I find very few real bikers here in Thailand. Lots that say they can't go riding they don't have a big bike. Yet on the road mostly you see waves on the side of the highway and I have taken mine all over.

Bikers for show, like the relitivly small HOG group. They want to be a part of something so get a bike but have little skills and don't really get out and ride that much.

Bar runners, Groups that ride one bar or pub to the next and spend most of the time drinking not riding. Who says drinking and riding don't mix ?

There is the group who goes out and buys the 700,000 - 2m baht bikes for show but when you get out on the road you pass them quickly on your little scooter.

and those who like to ride 100 - 200 km a day, Oh good grief, I thought we were riding . . .

I have found it hard to find someone to really get out and ride with. Day after day of 450 - 600+km days. seeing the country side and not stopping to show off or find another watering hole

• Like 1

What an ignorant man you are J.M.

When I was riding with HOG on sometimes 4 days trips, I never saw anybody drinking alcohol during the daily ride, but sure we have some beers when we reach the hotel in the evenings and finished riding for the day.

Some HOG members have been riding big bikes for +50 years and you say they can't ride? One member I know is 75 years old and still go fast when riding, he likes to go 120-140 constant when riding and sometimes he takes it all the way up to almost 200 km/h when safe to do so.

HOG Thailand have min 1 safety course on a closed track pr year with very skilled instructors.

Sure some buy a HD when they move out here despite hardly any prior bike experience and they maybe doing it for showing off, who knows, I don't really care its their money.

Hej J.M. a buddy of mine is a member of another bike club here in Pattaya and they went down to Singapore and back on their HD's, but I guess its too long way for for you eh.

I agree, a good British pint any day over a lousy Bud.

Some HD riders are too fanatic I agree again 100% but I generally found the HOG Thailand chapter guys pretty relaxed about it and that's the way it should be. If we see a big bike of any brand having problems we always stop and ask if he needs help, its about riding a motorbike and enjoy it no matter which brand you ride.

Sadly I don't own a big bike anymore due to family commitments but it was very hard for me seeing another man riding away on "my" Road King.

A 1200 HD Sporster is very high on the wish list, well lets see.

IMO the XR1200 is the pick of the bunch. It`s still a heavy bike but is does steer well, obviously not razor sharp like a sports bike, but long sweepers are fun. No top end being an ohv V2 but it is surprisingly quick off the mark. At the end of the day it doesn`t matter what anyone rides, at least they`re on 2 wheels :)
  • Like 2

The survay is flawed. it only lets you answer 1 choice where most questions I had more than 1 answer.

IE: I have had both larger and smaller bikes prior . . .

I know, it's hard to build a questionnaire that suits everyone. Thank you for your feedback, I'll look into changing something in order to improve it.

Definitely true that Thais are nuts for HDs... I don't know what it is but all my Thai friends have them, or if they don't have them, want them.

Ok, as for the survey.

I used to be a bar-rider, -that is getting to the go-go in line, get drunk and go home.

But then i moved out of convenience range >2 km, -so then i only ever used it if i had to go on a >800 meter trip

getting my oat meal/potato salad/butter etc.

At shorter distances i used a small bike.

Now traffic jam has become so bad so i rather not use them at all,

i just stay at home and only ever go to foodland once a week typically

Edited by poanoi

@guzzi850m2: so you're saying that HDs are recognized and to some extent well liked in Thailand. Let me ask you a question. Do you think this also means people see your bikes as an aspirational good - i.e. something they will buy as soon as they can afford it? Or just as something fancy and weird that you say hi to, but in the same way you would say hi to a guy dressed like a chicken in a downtown intersection in your city back home? Do you think Thailand is developing some kind of bike culture in the western sense?

And thank you to all those that already took my survey !!! I really appreciate it!!!

Its difficult to answer your questions correctly. The Thais buying the top models are without doubt well off as we are talking +1 mill bath bikes and you can get a very good car for that money, and I think most Thais will go buy a pick-up truck instead as they have much better use of it. Some wealthy Thais use the bike as a weekend toy as in the West.

Thai bike culture have really taken off the last 5 years or so, if you go to as an example Pattaya Burapa bike week that a yearly event and easily have maybe +3000 big bikes in attendance and the 10.000 that comes just to admire all the bikes off all brands, you should go there and have a look yourself. The atmosfere is always friendly and all brands are accepted.

Thais that turned into a big biker normally go the whole 9 yard and dresses accordingly, boots is a must and the ones that rides super bikes also dresses correctly with proper riding gear and so on. Sadly I see some HD riding expats here in Pattaya riding in shorts and flip-flopssick.gif not very smart.

Now Kawasaki and Ducati make & sell big bikes here and they are cheap compared to the imported models/brands and that is good for the biker culture and lure many Thais into buying them.

I own a bike (BMW650GSD) but its parked in Germany right now .

I rode it there from the U.S. - put on just over 100,000 miles on 5 continents (air shipped it Panama to Colombia, Argentina to South Africa, ferry from Africa to Asia (Jordan, Syria, Turkey) then to Europe).

I also have a bike here in Thailand; at least, the locals call it a bike. It's a Honda Click - 110cc, electric start, automatic shift, fuel injection, 3 liter gas tank. Sweet! gets me around. smile.png LOL

But I'm looking to buy - probably something in the 400 - 650cc range - plenty of bike for SE Asia. Dual sport would be nice, but I may have to get a tourer - somewhere for the wife to sit. Crotch rocket would be FUN - but dangerous (the roads - or what's in them - are too insane).

Something that would be easy to maintain, parts available locally, no high-tech (computer controlled fuel injection, integrated ABS, etc.). Don't want to keep the dealership in business buying parts, having it in the shop for hooking up to their computer to find out what's wrong!