Converting My Car To Gas

rickthailand

Converting your car to gas...... seems a great idea...... and very youthful.

If you master that , then when you can consider yourself as a senior , you can reverse the project.

I, a senior now, am trying to convert my gas to a car....tongue.png

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Converting your car to gas...... seems a great idea...... and very youthful.

If you master that , then when you can consider yourself as a senior , you can reverse the project.

I, a senior now, am trying to convert my gas to a car....tongue.png

You will just have to eat more of those great beans of yours Gonzo......after all that huge car of yours will take a lot of gas.

As a matter of interest and economics, why do you want to do this.

DO you anticipate a much higher mpg (km/litre) or will you be saving significantly at the pump.

I read that Lpg vehicles can scrape only 2 or 3 extra mpg and yet to buy the hybrids new adds such a premium that its not viable. Just hearsay though.

I have a 1.3 litre car that was costing me approx 1,200 baht a week for petrol, installed LPG, now costing 400 baht a week for same mileage. With a "promotion" in Pattaya cost 19,000 baht to install,

• Like 1

I have a 1.3 litre car that was costing me approx 1,200 baht a week for petrol, installed LPG, now costing 400 baht a week for same mileage. With a "promotion" in Pattaya cost 19,000 baht to install,

thats a very surprising figure, so about 6 months and the installation has paid for itself, then the real savings kick in.

so with your 800bht a week saving, will you buy a trailer becasue you cant fit anything in the boot anymore.

i converted a 2006 fortuner (petrol) to lpg 1000b petrol 240 km 1000b lpg 450km around town on a run something like 600km the bottle goes under the car where the spare should be so the spares in the boot had it done for 28000b if i changedthe car i'd do it again ,dont notice any power loss but im told on all the web sites i do ..........

Some 2 years ago I bought an older Honda Accord with a 2 litre aspirated carburettor engine and auto shift. The first thing I did was the conversion to LPG. It consumes 2 THB/KM in and around the city and on the highway I can do 600km for 800THB (90-100km/h). The installation did cost me 16.000 THB. The funny thing is that not one business which installs LPG can tell me the right procedure for tuning the LPG-flow. A friend (yes, also LPG in his car) figured out how to do it and it runs without any problem. Starts on LPG. Done some 50k km now I guess. LPG stations are really all over TH and I almost never have to switch to benzine. I am very happy with LPG.

There are NGV or LPG convertions avalable.

There are more LPG stations. NGV cost less

With my NGV truck, with what I save the truck will be free in 4 years of driving.

I can not tell any difference between Gas or NGV However I get slightly better kpl with NGV over gas over the last 30,000 km I have had the truck since December

If you have a conversion to gas they won't let you park in the main building at Airport Plaza in case your car blows upblink.png

Something to consider.

But how are they gonna knowwhistling.gif

They will if the car does blow up .Then you could have a bill of many millions of Baht .

thats a very surprising figure, so about 6 months and the installation has paid for itself, then the real savings kick in.

so with your 800bht a week saving, will you buy a trailer becasue you cant fit anything in the boot anymore.

Yes the LPG does use up space in the boot, but doesn't impact me as only use for shopping and when traveling only small amount of luggage

I heared that you have to inform the insurance company about such a conversion (maybe higher risk with gas ?).

Can somebody confirm this, or is this just nonsense.

yes this is correct. However, the installer of LPG brokers the insurance cover (2 million baht) and is bundled in the the cost. Transport office is also required to sign off the installation compliance for safety and provide a certificate to be displayed; needs to be re-issued every 5 years

If you have a conversion to gas they won't let you park in the main building at Airport Plaza in case your car blows upblink.png

Something to consider.

They will if the car does blow up .Then you could have a bill of many millions of Baht .

you are required by law to display a LPG sticker. vehicle is covered by insurance and malls/plaza's provide dedicated parking slots for gas powered vehicles

LPG is certainly worth while on a large engined car .On a Vios the savings would not be great unless you do a high milage .

Sorry but I have to disagree... I haven't bothered working out my mpg for either gas or petrol, but I can tell you my "miles per baht" is roughly 40% more, on gas.

LPG is certainly worth while on a large engined car .On a Vios the savings would not be great unless you do a high milage .

Sorry but I have to disagree... I haven't bothered working out my mpg for either gas or petrol, but I can tell you my "miles per baht" is roughly 40% more, on gas.

How come, petrol approx 40 baht a litre, LPG approx 13 baht. sounds like an incorrect installation setup

How come, petrol approx 40 baht a litre, LPG approx 13 baht. sounds like an incorrect installation setup

Energy-wise, 1 litre of gas does not equal 1 litre of petrol! You can't make the assumption that your fuel bill's going to be a third because the price per litre is a third...

But the point is, the saving is significant (unless you're one of those people that only do 50km a week)

In my case, and roughly, 500 baht of gas takes me as far as 800 baht of petrol would.

Energy-wise, 1 litre of gas does not equal 1 litre of petrol! You can't make the assumption that your fuel bill's going to be a third because the price per litre is a third...

But the point is, the saving is significant (unless you're one of those people that only do 50km a week)

In my case, and roughly, 500 baht of gas takes me as far as 800 baht of petrol would.

my error misread your original post

Something to consider.

you are required by law to display a LPG sticker. vehicle is covered by insurance and malls/plaza's provide dedicated parking slots for gas powered vehicles

Ah ha, thanks for the info

Something to consider.

Not if you're sitting in it at the time!

I know a great shop in Phitsanulok. I researched all the sho[s hereabout and have used this shop twice. Be advised that all installations are not the same. All installations may work, but some are very neat and well done, while others are shoddy. The shop I used puts evey wire in conduit and waterproofs everything. When it's all done, it is super neat and professional.

Also, there is great variance in equipment. You can get the vacuum version (cheap) that workd like a carburator, or the electronic version that uses injection (more expensive). The cost of the electronic versions runs from 24,000 - 32,000 depending on the equipment you select. the cheaper conversions use the vacuum type eystem (no ECU).

I recently had a conversion done on a new Vios at a cost of 32,000. I opted for top of the line (in Thailand) Stag AC. It has a more advanced ECU than the cheaper ones. Actually, the latest technology sysrwms are not even available in this country, surprise, surprise.

By the way, the tank doesn't compromise the boot area that badly. The tank tucks into the back of it. You also have the option of a "donut" type tank which replaces the spare tire. I don't like that idea.