Party From Hell

jamescollister

Threw a similar party for my brother in law entering the wat, it was at the same time as the state of emergency and curfew in 2010. As we were high in the hills before Korat, it went ahead.

Huge stage went up across the road in a cow field belonging to the Pu Yai, tables chairs and a dancing troupe from Korate were hired. A kitchen popped up to serve food and it was endless shopping trips to get food and drink sorted. I brought my 70 year old Mum over from the UK.

A great experience and a good time was had by all, about 4oo people turned up and then the police, in large numbers. They surrounded the field and it started to look quite intimidating, although money had already crossed palms it was obvious that they were back for more, so more money crossed more palms,,,,plus a few bottles of whiskey.

It was a truely great time.

Cost was about 250K baht.

Funny thing is that my brother in law only stayed at the wat for 6 weeks,,,,,,

The following day heading to and from the wat was just as entertaining....

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP,

Our village also just had a young man enter the monkhood. Like your village, there was drinking and deafening music.

However, we also had several fistfights and half naked young girls dirty dancing.

I guess our village is more religious than yours!

To the OP,

Our village also just had a young man enter the monkhood. Like your village, there was drinking and deafening music.

However, we also had several fistfights and half naked young girls dirty dancing.

I guess our village is more religious than yours!

Sounds like a very pious place, we get the fights now and then, but semi naked girls are reserved for song kran. Jim

I think every Issan village has parties for everything. During the day I head for my favorite watering hole so that covers the daytime noise. I call it noise because speaker distortion is not a problem for them. As long as the bass rattles the windows and it is VERY loud they are happy.

I belong to the Audible book club. When I get back home, I pop in my ear buds and listen to a good book. I usually fall asleep listening and the next night I have to go back in the book to a part I remembered before I fell asleep. You just have to learn to cope.

• Like 1